The urge to smoke is taking over.Please help

Daisywheels

Daisywheels, hi and good on you for posting.

You see the kind of crap cigarettes deal you. Right here, right now is the kind of shit the addiction pulls.

First of all, plenty of cold water, the colder the better and you need to learn to breathe in the kind of way that mimics how you would have done. As Boo mentioned the deep breath in 4 seconds, hold 4 seconds and long, long exhale will help.

What are your reasons for wanting a smoke free life?

• Like 6

Hi Daisy,

Craves only last a very short time.  You can time them and they won't seem so powerful.

It is only a few minutes.

You quit smoking !  Now you can gather your wits and power through.

Do anything but smoke.

Where are you ?  Can you practice primal screaming ?

• Like 6

Good job on posting, Daisy. 

Yes, those early craves can be tough but they don't last forever.  Fight through this.  You will only be miserable if you light up.  Everytime you fight through a situation like this and don't smoke, your quit grows stronger.

• Like 6

Repeat after me

I will not start over, this too shall pass!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I want a smoke free life because I am sick of feeling like a junkie. From spending too much money,secret behavior,and worrying about my health. Lol no I wish I could do a primal scream but I am in an apartment.I laugh because the idea of my neighbors responding to a primal scream makes me laugh. At least my craving is starting to go away.

• Like 7

That desire to stop feeling like a junkie is a great start, it is about you being in positive control of your life. Surprisingly the money side of things seldom comes into it as a good reason to quit, simply because we always seem to manage to get by and if it is mostly about that and circumstances change, well then there goes most of the motivation.

Focus on that control you want, focus on hating that feeling that nicotine is leading you a not so merry dance and that cigarettes are going to damage you in some way no matter what lies we tell ourselves about feeling well.

This is just the way to go about this Daisy. Proud of you right now!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Daisywheels said:

At least my craving is starting to go away.

The cravings will always go away as long as you don't light up.  They are tough but they don't last forever.

Great job in fighting through this.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Daisywheels said:

I want a smoke free life because I am sick of feeling like a junkie. From spending too much money,secret behavior,and worrying about my health. Lol no I wish I could do a primal scream but I am in an apartment.I laugh because the idea of my neighbors responding to a primal scream makes me laugh. At least my craving is starting to go away.

Take a shower and sing yell or bark.

Showers are good for craves.

You are doing great Daisy.

• Like 6

OK.... primal scream is doable... you just need to do it into a pillow or cushion, just make sure you don't smother yourself ;)  .

It is so good you posted an SOS....shows you want to fight to protect this quit. You can do this and your reasons are the type that make for a sticky quit. Remember you have 100% control. Controlled breathing through the quit is great. Also something to distract yourself, in the first few weeks of my quit I had a memory game on my phone, you know those card match ones, it was timed to run for 5mins and because you had to focus on remembering where the card matches were the crave couldn't get purchase in your mind... now i use minesweeper if I need.... every time, by the time the games were up the crave had passed. It was part of a free quit smoking app. The quit apps are good, because they give you little sms rewards... you have been smoke free for 1 hour, you have been smoke free for 24 hours.... you have not smoked 50 smokes.... it really does help.

OK... blood sugar... suck a barley sugar or some such as this helps also.

But know you are in the worst of it now... it gets easier.... you just need to ride out the next few days. You can do this, you want to do this, you want to take back control of your life, you don't want some stupid addiction telling you what to do.

• Like 7

Daisywheels

Some people say it's all about your state of mind and the urges only last a minute.

My reality was different.   I couldn't get my mind to believe the urges were minor and temporary.  So, I put on my big boy pants, told the urges to F off, and rode it out to eventual freedom and healthfulness.

Just trying to say, no matter how strong and sustained the cravings are, you can get past them with determination, knowledge and above all, time.  It's worth the effort.

• Like 5

Oh yes, craves during the beginning are pretty rough. I am not sure if they ever go away entirely but they do decrease as time goes by.

At least you relapsed after a couple days instead of throwing away several week, month, or year quits like some knuckleheads out there.

Something that someone told me that helped me in the beginning. We were talking about God knows what and, she goes -

"I have GOT to have my ambien"

Of course she is not hooked on it. Riiiiight.

How that related to my smoking habit was this -

I thought, "Am I that dependent and desperate for tobacco? Am I that much of a slave to it?"

Then I thought - Holy crap that is pathetic! I decided to tell the craves to go to hell and starve. Screw that, I would power through any struggles just to break free from that (string of vulgarities) smoking habit. It could go screw itself.

• Like 3

I hope you made it through Daisywheels...there is no crave, no drag, no smoke that is worth you. I pray you strength of mind today. Please know that we all have to crawl through out own personal river of quit sh*t before we come out the other side.

Dirty, humbled but free! 

Smoking is not an option today!

• Like 5

Thank you guys.I didn't smoke and the craving passed like you all said it would. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever quit but I am starting to see a life without cigarettes! Not the whole life but a glimpse of me not wanting these icky things. That makes me very happy! Still feel like a junkie though? but I look forward to the day I don't.

• Like 9

You quit smoking, Daisywheels !

Your life without cigarettes is one filled with better health and freedom from addiction.

The junkie's voice will get dimmer and dimmer....

You have power,  don't give it away to a junkie who wants to kill you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daisywheels said:

I didn't smoke and the craving passed like you all said it would. 

Good work Daisy.  

There is only one immutable law when it comes to quitting: DO NOT SMOKE!

You passed the test.  Congratulations.

• Like 1

There will be moments of relief but the beginning is usually rough.  

For me I had to stay focused on why I wanted to quit.    The very reasons 

repeated like a mantra.  That, and when it got intense I'd chomp on a jalapeno

pepper and chew it slow for maximum impact.   When the cravings became

less intense I switched to cinnamon sticks.

• Like 2

This is totally normal and it does pass!! You can do this!! Try to think of life before smoking - you may have been quite young but it existed! And you lived w/o it..if that makes any sense.

Physical urges will diminish (for me anyway) and then it becomes mind over matter. Stay here, read, watch the videos! You WILL NOT want to be a smoker after that!

You are stronger than the smokes!

Edited by Christa326
  • Like 3