Really feeling like I can't do this.

Mee

The days just aren't passing fast enough and the problems that I drown with my smoking seem to be so much more exacerbated!  My mind is trying to tell me that I coped because I smoked but I know that isn't accurate.  I keep thinking of that first cigarette in my life and how many long years I smoked.  Then I think that it is too late for me - I smoked way too long.  Then again, that is what brought me here hoping that this is my last stop chance to quit.  

Right now I am feeling depressed because I'm not smoking but I felt depressed when I was smoking.  I keep reading the posts to see when that craving will go away and it does seem to be a long journey.  Then I begin to think the journey is too long for me. 

I know I am rambling but I know it is better than smoking.  ?   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Linda, you're close to that first month(that hardest month). If you smoked one you would feel nauseous, get a lil dizzy and have that terrible taste back on your tongue. Your depressed feeling wont go away as a result of smoking one, if you have that anxious feeling which is the trigger to all of this try the deep breathing exercise (in and out and hold for 2-3 seconds). If you have a straw near get one and cut it down to the size of a cigg and do the breathing exercise with that or just pull on it like you would a cigg(use it as a crutch when you feel weak)  . Exercise, working out worked well for me as well in these moments. Just walking is good also . Hang in there

straw.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hey now! You knew this was coming right? You're prepared for this battle! You put on your NOPE armor and you fight! 

You are worth more than smoking. There is a light, I'm gonna tell you, the lights in Freedom City with blind you because you've only seen the world through a cloud of smoke. 

I don't know you, but please don't smoke

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You're doing great Linda and I know you want to keep your awesome quit because you posted. I was a 35 year smoker so I know how you feel but I promise you it will get so much better. 

One thing I did to help me with the bad cravings was using my air cigarette. I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my hand and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking I was getting the real thing. Maybe try that?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Or Google addiction and the changes it's made in you mind and body...early on, education was key for me.

Do you do things for yourself, like ever? Quitting is one thing can selfishly I dulge yourself in. Eat all the chocolates, take 3 baths a day, go get a haircut...take time to get to know the new non-smoking you!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The crave will pass Linda, eat whatever junk food your body is craving. You can worry about the weight later. Let your body dictate what it needs to try to fix all the bad we did by smoking. If you're hungry, eat. Tired, sleep. Etc....

You got this girl, 19 days quit is AWESOME! :)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jillar said:

Just take care of yourself...these moments define your quit...you have to own your quit; be strong in it and love the it. Just don't smoke Linda Thomas!

Edited to say it would not let me take the jillar quote box off, but I'm sure the sentiment would be the same

Edited by c9jane29
  • Like 4

Hope your still hanging in... you are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for... it seems like you one of us who has a hell week for week three.... week 3 was when I googled forums to see if it was normal I felt like it was not improving or even getting worse and found a support group... and you know what its normal for some. There is no making moment when it all stops and its done.... but there is a moment and it comes slowly.... so another quitter here posted in their SOS to themselves... "you had anxiety when you smoked.... if you smoke noe its not going to make the anxiety any better... and it wont... same goes for depression.... you had it before when you smoked, smoking isn't going to make it better or go away... its going to make it worse because you have come so far and you don't want to throw that away... I'm tipping its been a rough weekend, after a rough week with the parental units.... deep breath, hold, and out.... when you breath in think about all the wonderful things in your life... you hubby, your son, your fur babies... hold those precious things then when you breath out think about the anxiety, the depression and the horrible things leaving your body.... then repeat... it helps, it really does... its not going to get rid of the memories or the anxiety but it will centre and calm you you..

1. You don't want to smoke, because you posted here.

2. You have already kicked the physical addiction, gone, because you are just that frickin good.

3. You are working on the emotional and psychological addicition and the motor memory habits.

a) this takes longer because the nicotine has re-wired your brain and you need to give it time to re-route and learn all the right synapses and responses

b) the habit/muscle memory side of things takes a bit longer than detoxing the stuff out of your system.

4. You can do this. Its just for today, you pledged NOPE for today... so ride it out, its not that much longer.

OK... sometimes it helps to sleep through these days... or at least for a few hours, if you don't do sleeping tablets you could have a night time could and flu tablet... it will relax you enough to ease some of the angst... but only do this if you have had them before without issue and you know they don't interact with any other medications.

Post here 1000 times if you need... we would love for you to do that and not smoke.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Then I think that it is toolate for me - I smoked way too long.  Then again, that is what brought me here hoping that this is my last stop chance to quit.  

It NEVER too late...I'm living proof of that...I smoked 52 years.....

You would be so angry with yourself if you smoked...I've seen it so many times...

You have had great advice.....

The only way it will get better is to fight the battles...and I can promise you FREEDOM..is so worth the war....

Go back to the main board and read all the stuff you can...put more tools in your tool box....

Come on Linda...we are all rooting for you....you stay strong....

Post alot ...pledge....sing,shout,scream,....just don't smoke !!!!

• Like 4

I know it doesn't feel this way but you are doing great, Linda.  What you are going through is normal and, as everyone else has said, things do get much better in time.

The first few weeks are the toughest but you are doing a great thing by beating this addiction.  Stay tough.  Your quit gets stronger when you fight through situations like this and win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don't have one good reason to smoke.  Not ONE.

You can power through any crave because you are not a smoker anymore.

Read, Scream, Dance

Do anything but smoke.

You don't have one good reason to blow your quit.

Celebrate your 18/19 days...reward yourself !

You quit smoking !  That is awesome, Linda!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

YAY !  I am so relieved to see your post, Linda.

Go reward yourself for the incredible work you are doing for yourself.

Make it something really, really special.

Special enough so you remember it.

'This is my reward for beating an unruly and gruesome crave'

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Linda- I'm fairly new to this group but I'm cheering for you! I quit 11 years ago after smoking for over 30 years.  It isn't easy but it is doable and so very rewarding.  We all have different things that help us.  ~Smoking isn't the answer, it never was~~  When you accept that the cigarette smoking never really solved anything then you can get to the real work at hand. Smoking is a symptom. Don't let it overwhelm you but it really is as simple as this:    It's a decision that you make and once to make it, you need to stick to it. No matter what.  I quit once and never smoked again. I went through withdrawal but it eventually stopped bothering me. It never was as bad as the smoking.  It truly is uplifting when you realize that you are no longer a slave to your addiction. I walk by people who are huddled outside in the rain trying to smoke and I feel so grateful that I am no longer one of them. Hope  you are doing well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

If you broke your 52 year habit, it gives me encouragement I can break my 46 year habit. 

You're well on your way.  Most every quitter hits a point early in the process where the addiction does its best to break you.  Your commitment is challenged and you have a vital decision to make.  You chose wisely.

It's the difficult times in the early days that forge a lifelong, rock-solid quit.

Onward and upward from here Linda.

• Like 3

Linda -- as they say "It is never too late to quit" and for me that is the truth, after 44 years I have got myself to this point.  Do not let that type of thinking get in your way, conquer then celebrate.  The cravings will get less intense and less frequent, just let yourself know that you can get through the craving and keep doing what your are doing --- coming here and vocalizing the difficulties you are having, it is showing that you really want to get through this and we will do what we can to help you on this journey.  

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Linda Thomas

Today I decided and have quit. There is nothing back there worth your time, your health, your money, or even your toughts.

I just want you to know that you are great, I wish I was on my 18-19th day of being free right now, I admire your progress and your determination, and I get inspired by you and other people that made it so far, it shows me that it is possible and I can be like you too.

Fight some minutes, hours or even days, and be free for the rest of them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, blur said:

@Linda Thomas

Today I decided and have quit. There is nothing back there worth your time, your health, your money, or even your toughts.

I just want you to know that you are great, I wish I was on my 18-19th day of being free right now, I admire your progress and your determination, and I get inspired by you and other people that made it so far, it shows me that it is possible and I can be like you too.

Fight some minutes, hours or even days, and be free for the rest of them.

Well Blur.  You and I can support each other and do it together.  This is a great place for you to be.  There is a lot of great info and friendship.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

three days, three weeks, and three months are times when craves tend to hit hardest. These are the hardest tests of one's willpower.

But now before you go worrying about the three month mark, just when you get there (and until then), try to avoid any and all temptation to smoke.

I never had the three week battle for some reason but three months - I was scrap booking some old magazines which are chock full of tobacco ads.

For you -

You are right at the three week mark. Yeah it will take a couple days for the nicobitch to shut her trap but then the craves will tone down to a low roar again.

Junk food? Hell yeah! When I quit, I was obsessed with food. You probably won;t gain nearly the weight you are imagining.  Maybe five pounds, maybe.

Look, the nicobitch (voice in your head telling you to smoke) is throwing a shit fit right now. Cussing, demanding, throwing things, acting like a spoiled small child.

So then, tell her to go back to hell and starve some more.

You won't believe this but one day the "negotiations" with her will be more like this -

Nicobitch - "Linda, you know, I was wondering if maybe, if it is ok..."

Linda - "Go fcuk yourself"

And the crave will go away. It won't have the energy, due to starvation, to fight or have tantrums.

We have had several people who come in, have quit for several days or a few weeks and then just give up, go back to smoking, and vanish.

Do not be one of them. REFUSE to give in to craves. It is hard at times but you cannot give in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1