Hello (Intro)

Christa326

Hi all,

I used to be a member of QSMB (what happened there?) that site was the only source that actually helped me quit 2 years ago - i stood quit for 10 months. My stepson passed away and i went back...not a good thing, i know, I quit this past Sunday because not only do i have 3 children to live for,  but i was feeling very short of breath after smoking. (side-note-i do suffer from anxiety so it was hard to distinguish if it was my anxiety or the smoke) I went to the doc Monday bc of the shortness of breath, long story short - they did a chest x-ray and said there was a questionable "nodule" on my lung (she said it could be nothing at all)...well, i have never been so terrified! the thought of having to tell my kids something was wrong w me bc i was selfish and smoked was killing me. Thank God, my follow-up CT scan was normal, and it was nothing. The pulmonologist gave me a breathing test - he said the middle branch (if that makes sense) of my lungs is where i am having difficulties , he said i can repair this as it is not bad at all...but keep smoking and it will be! :/ yikes!  I am only 38 years old! Smoking is not worth it! Glad i found this site. I find that i keep "thinking" about smoking..i do not crave it....

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Christa.  Sorry about the difficulties but I am glad that you have made the decision to quit again -- now lets make this the sticky quit.  There are many people here that will give you some great advice and welcome you with open arms.  Just remember to come here often to research everything you can about this addiction, play some games, meet some pretty wonderful (and sometimes strange) people.  Also remember to do your daily "NOPE" pledge -- it really does help.

• Like 5

Welcome Christa, I'm sorry about your stepson passing away ? You'll find great support here as many of us from qsmb took refuge here and have been welcomed with open arms. 

So you know the drill but the two most important imo is the daily NOPE and SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave!

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Christa.  Good news about your medical tests.  Your lungs begin repairing themselves the moment you quit.

5 hours ago, Christa326 said:

I find that i keep "thinking" about smoking..i do not crave it....

The obsessive thoughts about smoking are almost universal among quitters in the early stages of the process.  With time and patience you will adapt to being a non-smoker.

Congratulations on making a great choice for yourself.

• Like 6

Hi and welcome...

I'm sorry you have had to deal with your stepson passing.....life can be cruel....

We have lots of good reading stuff on the main board...pinned with a green squares...

Also great videos to watch....

We are one big family here...we will help you achieve your goal....if you want it bad enough....

You need to stay close ....

We are here for when you need us....you can do it...

• Like 5

Hi Christa. Welcome to the Quit Train. I'm another who had a big quit and tossed it away and have come back to do it again. There are a few of us here and I know those ahead of me who much more established in their quits have been a great help to this being my sticky quit. There are also a few of us who deal with anxiety in our life who know that aspect of the quit.

Very happy that the prognosis from the doctor was better than it could have been, what a great motivator to hold onto if your having a rough moment.

So you can do this, and only you, we can support you in the dark time and laugh at them afterwards with you but only you can hold onto your freedom and keep your quit. Just take it one day at a time, that's all you need to focus on. Today I am not smoking , NOPE, and then protect that statement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Welcome Christa and happy three days of freedom.

How are you feeling ?

Hi Sazerac!

Thank you for replying! To be honest, last time was much harder...I feel like maybe the scare I had was good thing in a sense. I am "thinking" of smoking (not that i want to) but it is on my mind,,  if that makes sense. I know it is mind over matter. Did you quit cold turkey? I have in the past and this time as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christa326 said:

Hi Sazerac!

Thank you for replying! To be honest, last time was much harder...I feel like maybe the scare I had was good thing in a sense. I am "thinking" of smoking (not that i want to) but it is on my mind,,  if that makes sense. I know it is mind over matter. Did you quit cold turkey? I have in the past and this time as well. 

Hi Christa,

Yep I am a cold turkey quitter.

I am glad it is easier for you this time....at least for the first few days. 

Do not be surprised or afraid if some moments or days are gruesome...this is only temporary. 

Reality checks....health scares are brilliant motivators. 

I just quit caffeine after a BP event.  Life without coffee IS possible.

Getting smoking off your mind is the challenge.

Replacing smoky thoughts with something life affirming, something beautiful was a key  component to my quit.

Education also.

The concept of HALT really helped me.

When you have a crave are you Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, Tired ?

Distinguishing between a nic fit and a  bona fide  need  made a huge difference.

We neglected our real needs for so long.

Here is a thread about HALT, be sure to follow  Bab's link about HALT too.

and have a look at how we managed the   First Days Nicotine Free

and be sure to add your own tricks too.

Read read read read and know that you are stronger than any crave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to QuitTrain, Christa. 

I'm sorry to hear about your stepson.  ?

You are doing a good thing by quitting smoking, though, and I'm glad you have made it through your first three days.  As you know, the early days are the toughest but it does get easier and health scares can really play a reality check in inspiring us to quit for good.  Like QSMB, there is a lot of support here that can help you stay quit for good.  Keep up the great work with your quit. 

It is good to have you here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Christa326 and welcome to the QTrain! I am also a QSMB refugee and freaked out a bit when it disappeared until I found my way here. One nope day at a time! ?

• Like 4

Hey Christa,

Welcome aboard this lovely journey with a lot of awesome fellow travellers.

Congratulations on taking step one to a better life, deciding to quit...

This forum will certainly be around to support you, just shout out if you need us.

Also, come on over to the games section, specifically the chicks and sticks game, we need some chicks kickin ass on our side (yes yes, I'm a secret enlister for them).

But set your sights on daily goals, get over cravings one at a time (trust me, 2 months into my quit, I still don't want to jump ahead, and it helps me stay stable).

It gets better because you will start seeing the effects of your efforts soon enough...

Best of luck!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tammy said:

Hey Christa,

Welcome aboard this lovely journey with a lot of awesome fellow travellers.

Congratulations on taking step one to a better life, deciding to quit...

This forum will certainly be around to support you, just shout out if you need us.

Also, come on over to the games section, specifically the chicks and sticks game, we need some chicks kickin ass on our side (yes yes, I'm a secret enlister for them).

But set your sights on daily goals, get over cravings one at a time (trust me, 2 months into my quit, I still don't want to jump ahead, and it helps me stay stable).

It gets better because you will start seeing the effects of your efforts soon enough...

Best of luck!!!

Thank you Tammy!! and yes it has only been 9 days and I swear i can breathe better! (not sure if this is all in my head but i will take it!!) I will check out games also! :D

• Like 3

Welcome, Christa! Congratulations on this important step and my condolences on your stepson passing. We will be here when you need to laugh or cry, or discuss anything. There are as many quit experiences as there are members here and together we stand strong.

• Thanks 1