Now Don't Get Me Wrong...

JimHannoonen

I love being a non-smoker. It's definitely the best thing I've ever done (definitely better than the Mexican tattoo, but that's another story.)

Every single day, whether I think about it or not, I'm enjoying the benefits of not smoking. The extra money, smelling great, breathing better, etc.

BUT....I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my morning coffee and smokes. A year and a half later and still, mornings just aren't the same and my love for coffee just isn't what it used to be. As far back as I can remember, I always loved my coffee and smokes

I know, I know, it's blasphemy, but it is what it is.

Yes, I was a slave and yes, I had no choice, but it was something I loved and while I'll never smoke again, I'll always look back fondly on my morning ritual, as sad as that may seem.

I know it may seem like I'm romancing the smoke and I'm sure to an extent I am, but it's really nothing more than a fond memory (albeit a disgusting one.)

Anyway, that's that.

NOPE

• Like 7

Hi Jim, thanks for your honesty. I'd say there's many of us who would agree that the morning cig or cigs with our coffee was the best. As long as you're not thinking about it every morning when you have your coffee than you're not romancing it imo. I went down from two cups a morning to just one and your post made me think did I just have that second cup so I could chain smoke? 

• Like 6

Gday

Course I know that first cig with coffee was the best.

For the life of me I can't remember Why? It's gone. 

Old timers.. No!

As time goes on it fades. Can't remember that "ah" feeling as well as I once thought

Coffee still taste great. 

But I enjoy my coffee with conversation with my sweetheart. 

Was smoking that self indulgent? 

C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cb  is spot on...probally that first one with your coffee is the one you will miss the most...

Don't forget in the past this was the first smoke ,after being a sleep ,and going without...

It was the fix we enjoyed...that cigarette is no different to all the others in the pack..

It does fade with time...

I sit and have breakfast now and having a smoke is the last thing on my mind..now...more coffee...yes please ...

Great quit by the way !!!!

• Like 3

It's obvious what you need to do...  Get rid of the coffee too.

Or wait till you are at work to have the coffee.

Since I quit smoking I use that time I would have been smoking to oversleep.   It's amazing how hard it is to wake up when you're not craving a cigarette.

• Like 4

Jim.  This is classic romance of the cigarette.

You need to ferret it OUT.

It isn't sexy or delicious.

It signifies DEATH.

It doesn't matter how long you have quit, 

time is no assurance of keeping your quit.

It takes constant and frequent vigilance.

As for coffee.  I have just recently put it down.  It was physically more difficult than quitting smoking.

The psychological part isn't bothering me much.  I learned so much from quitting smoking.

• Like 2

Newbies, please trust me on this....you will absolutely NOT miss cigarettes for the rest of your life.  You smoke every cigarette because you are addicted. Maybe the morning one feels best because you have been without nicotine for longer...who knows?  Please just do not be concerned....they do not have to run your life forever!

• Like 3

Guys, let me be crystal clear. There is NO chance I'll ever smoke again. 

I don't wake up every morning wishing I had a cigarette. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I still love coffee and there's no way I'll ever stop drinking it (unless instructed to do so by my DR.), but it's just not the same is all.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JimHannoonen said:

Guys, let me be crystal clear. There is NO chance I'll ever smoke again. 

I don't wake up every morning wishing I had a cigarette. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I still love coffee and there's no way I'll ever stop drinking it (unless instructed to do so by my DR.), but it's just not the same is all.

Never doubted you  Jim....you have a strong quit.....even your coffee will feel the same.......in time ...

• Like 1

Jim it is nice to see some other people here with an established quit also still sometimes crave a smoke.

Some people act like it is an abomination to so much as miss it. Sometimes I would love one.

I suppose it is like any habit or hobby that does more harm than good.

Just missing/craving something isn't the same as actually doing it.

• Like 1

I was just chatting with a good friend and he hit 4 years cigg free, he said i still want a cigg every day . Happens, that doesnt happen to me but at times there are thoughts.. You learn to fight the thought off like with anything that is bad for you...

• Like 2

OK so those who have been around for a while know I had a really big quit that I tossed away at the first opportunity that presented itself that I could use as a 'legitimate' excuse... in my case it took over 6 years for the right excuse to present itself.... now there are 2 huge, groaning differences between that quit and this quit... so lets all them THEN and NOW:

1. THEN: every day I wanted a cig, every single day I wanted one when I got up, in the car, after food, at break time (which is hard cos in Australia break time is called smoko)... all day every day I wanted one and I wanted one so much it hurt. NOW - I can go whole days, in a row, without even thinking about one. Sometimes I have a passing thought and sometimes I still have a full blown crave, but these times are fewer and further apart AND less intense each time.

2. THEN: I was keeping my quit solely to prove others wrong, I didn't want to be quit but no way was I giving up the quit so everyone who said I couldn't do it would be able to say I told you so. NOW - I am doing this for me. I never want to put a stick full of poison to my lips, light it and smoke it again.

So this quit for me, is completely different to the first one... sure its been over a decade and maybe I have just forgotten what it was really like, but I haven't, the fear of that ache everyday for the rest of my life was why it was well over a decade until I tried again. I think @Whispers was right, there will be occasional thoughts, but when they happen don't give them purchase and they go away just as quick as they came... I truly believe that @Nancy is right too... in time there wont even be thoughts and I know in my heart that I will get to that place one day because I want to be in that place.

I love that it is safe here to admit that there are times when you get the thought, gee I'd like a smoke and as @Jetblack said it is actually helpful to see others have these also.

• Like 4

Of course I still have a thought... A thought is not a crave....

I have thousands of thoughts in one day...

I can have my morning coffee without a thought of a cigarette....but that doesn't mean it  won't enter my head ..anytime during the day..

It more of a quick passing reminder... When something gives me a thought ..I was a smoker...

There is a difference between loving one...and having a quick thought about one..

Does this make sense..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

I was just chatting with a good friend and he hit 4 years cigg free, he said i still want a cigg every day . Happens, that doesnt happen to me but at times there are thoughts.. You learn to fight the thought off like with anything that is bad for you...

Yeah but how does someone stay smoke free if even after four years they want one? I know the craves are no where near as bad as a new quit but still...

I wonder of maybe it is the same thought I have about dating which is "Yeah it would be nice but not worth the problems that come with it".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jetblack said:

Yeah but how does someone stay smoke free if even after four years they want one? I know the craves are no where near as bad as a new quit but still...

I wonder of maybe it is the same thought I have about dating which is "Yeah it would be nice but not worth the problems that come with it".

Lol that's a good analogy . Stay smoke free = stay mentally strong has to be his way. I don't have that urge or craving for a long time but sometimes they just pop in, nothing i cant laugh at. On facebook my ex fiance is in my friends list, its like when she sends me an inbox/pm.. I know not to respond to her as she wants to start some trouble. I say NOPE 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Whispers said:

On facebook my ex fiance is in my friends list, its like when she sends me an inbox/pm.. I know not to respond to her as she wants to start some trouble. I say NOPE 

You mean you don't look at it and say, "what the heck, I have time. Nothing like listening to her B.S. to start the day".

Gday

First priority of the day is of course a pee.

Then is thinking about NOT smoking ....NOPE Pledge.

Then it's on with a day that completely free of smoking thoughts or craves. I power through the day. And every now and then read the forum to remind me what a shit habit I've walked away from. 

Ive gained an amazing life smoke free but I've lost a quit before to "just one". I like to maintain the rage and reading the newbies helps me heaps to not forget, cause you do.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been quit 9,5 months, that's long and short. There are still many "firsts" to experience and unexpected bumps. And yes, I do have thoughts that appear out of the blue. My response is fully rational, that I have too much to lose. On worse days I have more stupid thoughts and it takes more effort to neutralize them. If you don't act on the thoughts they'll become weaker and weaker, and ultimately disappear.

• Like 4