So you've, quit ...what wonderful change can you feel !!!

Doreensfree

There are a ton of positive changes I've seen but the surprising one to me was how much better I felt about myself.  My pride and self-esteem got a huge boost knowing that I was able to successfully make such a challenging but rewarding life change like quitting smoking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Been said by others but pride and self respect... I didn't realise until I quit how much shame I had with my smoking... having a friend's 14 year old tell me they are so proud of me that I don't smoke anymore meant more than I could ever imagine it would have.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 10

Freedom is delicious.

Self Respect for one's own body !

True corporeal inner strength and power.

A new found trust in myself.

The ability to change.

Breath.

Sex.

Wealth.

I love not smoking.

and quitting has had no down side.  Not a one.

Well, the first year was a steep learning curve but, after that...it is a splendid way to LIVE.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The whites of my eyes are now white again!!! I had so much trouble with my eyes the last few years while smoking...bloodshot, crusty, itchy, lumps...had to go through such a routine on a daily basis to alleviate all that. Who knew it was my body rebelling against cigs? ?

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Rozuki said:

The whites of my eyes are now white again!!! I had so much trouble with my eyes the last few years while smoking...bloodshot, crusty, itchy, lumps...had to go through such a routine on a daily basis to alleviate all that. Who knew it was my body rebelling against cigs? ?

Same here.  My eyes were almost always red and dry when I smoked.  Of course I would blame it on my contact lenses or the catch-all category of allergies.  Then I quit smoking and my eyes cleared up.

In fact...a lot of issues just "cleared up" after I quit smoking.

• Like 9

Not worrying about when and where to find a "safe" spot, away from people, especially children.

The guilt if a child saw me, the bad breath and the smell on my clothes, the sneaking around sometimes at home when I wanted "one" really bad, the worry of smoking in the car and then littering ash around everywhere

Oh I feel so free...

• Like 10

Not all things that come from quitting smoking are good though -

Ok so we know within a few days or couple weeks we get our senses of smell and taste back.

Well great, so food tastes good again.

But jesus christ, for 15 years (how long I smoked) I had NO idea my farts stank that bad! I just thought nothing stinky came out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

There are been so many wonderful changes, but the change in my self worth and self respect is the most important to me...I've spent most of my life feeling not worthy of anything really, but now that I've learned to care and celebrate me and my strength I feel like I can take on the world!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last week I had jury duty. During deliberations you are locked in a room for 8+ hours with 11 other strangers known to you as numbers. During lunch one day when everyone was quiet, I said, "I'm really glad I quit smoking several months ago because I would be jumping out of my skin by now jonesing for a cigarette and wanting out of here bad. It's good for me, but maybe bad for you all because I'm going to continue to argue with you!" 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Healthy me

Healthy bank balance

Chest pains gone

Walk up hills easier

not had a sore throat ( I almost constantly had a sore throat and would suck lozenges so I could smoke)

can afford the little treats  I went without before

money lasts longer in my purse

fingers don’t stink

clothes don’t stink

car doesn’t stink

my skin looks better

i am calmer

i have more patience

i sleep better

• Like 6

On 8/11/2018 at 6:54 AM, Doreensfree said:

I'm not hiding behind that black cloud of shame ..the looks of disapproval... Sometimes trying to hide it ,behind my back..No I don't miss that...at all...

This along with the smell of it and others judge you if you have to leave to smoke and then come back smelling of it. 

58 minutes ago, NOPEster said:

No more:

chained to an ashtray

anxious, nervous feeling in non smoking arenas of life

breathing problems. I CAN BREATHE like a child now! Woo hoo!

I didn’t realise how on edge I was all the time when I smoked. It’s not talked about much but it does this to us. 

• Like 4

On 8/14/2018 at 6:29 PM, Jetblack said:

Not all things that come from quitting smoking are good though -

Ok so we know within a few days or couple weeks we get our senses of smell and taste back.

Well great, so food tastes good again.

But jesus christ, for 15 years (how long I smoked) I had NO idea my farts stank that bad! I just thought nothing stinky came out.

Quitting smoking is known to cause flatulence. Maybe it wasn’t that smelly. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Realizing how strong and worthy I am

Keeping promises that I give myself and making myself a high priority in my life

Being more brave and trying new things as well as accepting changes more easily

Paradoxically I lost weight because I have more energy for sport and exercise now

• Like 1

G'day

I get to be normal... yep most people these days don't smoke.

Do I have to say I'm an ex smoker? 

Do I have to admitt to bring a smoker for 40 plus years.

NOPE...

They wouldn't know... much less care!

I know... you do too.

our secret... a "never"smoker wouldn't have the faintest idea.

Are "never" smokers the enemy?

AbsolutelyNOT. They are what we would love the world to be.

Never Smokers...

C

On 8/20/2018 at 7:09 AM, Rosewothorne said:

Last week I had jury duty.  ...I would be jumping out of my skin by now jonesing for a cigarette and wanting out of here bad.

That is one of the reasons I quit. I figured what if I were in a situation and unable to smoke?

But for the trial...

Was it like on TV where things happen like -

- this mind-blowing evidence is presented? Like the remains of a dead bug off the windshield of a toyota hybrid cracked the case?

- lawyers screaming back and forth "OBJECTION!" and the judge shouting "OVER RULED!" and just a circus of anger and yelling?

- parties crying on the witness stand?

- lawyers asking these weird-ass questions like, "Ms. Garcia, Do you remember what your dad ate for lunch on President's day back in 1987?"

I just wonder because i have never been on jury duty. Yeah I have been in court a few times but it was never exciting. I think the most interesting thing i ever heard was this -

one of the parties before me was there to get his license re-instated. The judge asked the guy, "...and you were not driving while your license was suspended?" The guy answered "no" and someone in the chair behind me said quietly, "Of course not".

So might we ask what the trial was about or did they specifically instruct the jurors to not talk about it outside of court?