Non Smoking Places

NOPEster

When I smoked I hated non smoking places and situations. I would hesitate to go to or just stay home because I smoked so much (2-3 packs per day). I was incredibly miserable away from my cigs to go to:

My parents’ house, college football games (Im a UF season ticket holder), concerts, the library, restaurants, car trips with non smokers, etc. 

I’m curious to know if others here used to do the same and what activities you now enjoy being a non smoker?

• Like 4

I just used to leave every half hour or so and go and smoke maybe you have better manners than me. I used to hate travelling because you were stuck in the plane/train or airport and couldn’t smoke. That sucked. With most of my jobs I could go out every hour and smoke. 

• Like 2

I always checked if airports I flew from, to and via had smoking zones. That’s what I dreaded most. And family meetings, I always waited till it was over. Usually such things aren’t talked about when freedom is discussed but not being a slave to a cigarette is very much freedom 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brand.new.ela said:

not being a slave to a cigarette is very much freedom 

I was an obnoxious smoker and sneered right back at obnoxious non smokers.

I smoked everywhere possible and as places to smoke became scarcer I became belligerent.

Addiction turned me into a real arsehole, I only thought about feeding it.

Being Free, like Ela says, is delicious and has made me a far, far more considerate person.

• Like 6

I went on a road trip and when we stopped for a hotel they asked smoking or non smoking. I never smoked inside so motels were the rare indoor treat for smoker me and since not all hotels offer smoking rooms it was extra special....this time, she our travel buddy said smoking (he smokes marijuana...legal here)....I cringed...I gagged when I entered the room and even after an hr with the door open it still was so gross....i can't imagine what it was like for non smokers when you could smoke almost anywhere (I'm from the pariah generation)

• Like 2

My bezzie friend RIP was a smoker ...in doors...with the door shut..not while I was there though...when I walked into  her house the air was immediately very heavy and thick  ..I sometimes gagged..

As soon as I came home..it was like a breath of fresh air....

I hadn't smoked in my house ..for many years...and reolized what my kids had to grow up with ...crappy air...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Airports.   I had a layover at Memphis recently and my connecting flight was delayed, so I walked around a bit (inside the security area) and discovered an actual smoking lounge.  It wasn't just a non-ventilated glass fish-bowl type room that was fogged up with smoke that you usually see, if you see one at all.   Instead, it was, a nicely furnished, ventilated room with a privacy wall so you wouldn't be seen by other travelers.   You couldn't even smell anything from the outside.

I was so shocked to see it.   Felt brief disappointment that I was no longer a smoker, because prior to that I would race outside, suck down a cigarette and then have to go through the whole security screening process again. 

2nd best reason to quit is not having to worry about when and where you can have the next cigarette.

• Like 1