Not a good day

nikki729

☹️ Into day 5 I think. Energy so low and time is so slow. Wake up and the cigarette thoughts are right there the minute I open my eyes. The morning coffee craves are not as intense but still some lingering thoughts. I walk, do breathing exercises, read, watch videos, eat, clean house and eat some more.  Now sleep is next to impossible.  I did visit a friend and it did help. Never thought of a cigarette the entire visit. Maybe its time to venture out. You know go somewhere where you can't smoke. Maybe a change of scenery. I can't hide away forever. I know I won't smoke. So glad I have this place to come to. It's such a help. Just now ,by posting, got me through a strong crave. I am going to make me some bacon and eggs since I can't sleep and  I am going to make a reward list.  Well thanks for listening. It sure helps to throw these little tantrums. My pity party is over.  Another crave bites the dust. I feel better now. 

• Like 7

Oh man do I remember those early days nikki! You are doing great and just think once you get past them you'll never have to go through it again. That in and of itself is a HUGE reward.

The insomnia is super normal and won't last forever. Soon you'll be sleeping better than you have in years :) I actually found taking an otc sleep aid a couple times helped me get some sleep.

Love me some bacon and eggs so enjoy yours and I'm so glad that posting got you through your crave :)

• Like 5

Yep !!!....Remember those early days too..keep reminding yourself it's all temporary.... Everything your feeling will pass....your body is going through some major changes...

I couldn't sleep either ,I was on the forum dam near 24 hrs a day...it soon passed..

5 days is a massive achievement... Go and buy yourself something nice...reward yourself for all your hard work...

I listened to music on a I pod ..loud in my ears and danced..well pranced about..it used some energy up too..

Also my faithful punching pillow...it flew across the room at speed you wouldn't believe ...lol....but it worked...

Try and find ways of using some energy ...and hopefully you will sleep a little...

Egg and bacon....yum !!!

• Like 4

Ah yes Nikki your story is so typical of the early quit symptoms most of us go through. This is one of the reasons I stick around this place to be reminded of the struggle we go through to reach the point I'm at now. I never want to get complacent about the quit I fought so hard to achieve.

As others have said, it's all temporary and will slowly improve. I particularly remember that in the early days, time seemed to stand still. A day was like a week! I could barely function those first few days yet somehow I made it through and things did slowly start to improve. It really impacted me a lot going through all those quit symptoms. It made me realize just how totally smoking for all those years had affected not only my body but my mind as well. I mean, experiencing what I went through after quitting was something else. Readjusting to "normal" was a real struggle in the beginning. Now, I wouldn't ever want to go back to what I was as a smoker - never!

Keep up the great work Nikki! You are doing everything right ?

• Like 4

Nikki, 

Post like this really help people because your experience is universal.  We have all been there.

All you can do is power through and know that the discomfort is Temporary.

You are doing GREAT.

It is obvious you have been educating yourself about nicotine addiction,

this is an integral part of your success.

Congratulations on quitting smoking.

YOU don't smoke anymore.

That is a truly awesome thing.

• Like 4

Hang in there Nikki.  For many people it seems to get worse before it gets better.  All kinds of annoyances seem to pop up: sleeplessness, trouble concentrating, irritability.  Those are all temporary.  Just remember that the reward beyond the difficulties is amazing and beneficial beyond anything you can imagine.  You're doing great.

• Like 5

This is normal, Nikki, but it sounds like you are doing a good job of educating yourself about the nicotine and thinking pro-actively about how to fight through craves.

Early on in my quit during my free time, when I wasn't on the boards, I tried to spend as much time as possible at places that I knew I would probably enjoy but knew I couldn't light up at.  Also, I tried to reward myself for keeping the quit.  These things vary from person to person but definitely make sure to treat yourself well for the great job you are doing by putting smokes behind you.

You are doing a fantastic job.

• Like 3

Good for you Nikki. Staying strong like that. I especially like your ida of going some place where smoking isn’t allowed. As a smoker I avoided those places completely. I was not comfortable in those arenas at all. I’m going to start a new post about places I can go to now. 

• Like 2

I always remember someone on here telling me the first week was called hell week for a reason, quite literally it means just that. The nicotine monster is always lurking, peering around the corner, just waiting to pounce in a moment of weakness. Lets be stronger than it, roar loudly at him and I am sure he will run away, face up to the bullying tactics, stare him down and show him we wont be beaten. Gives ourselves the power to get through the first week, and being able to stand up and say hey everyone I did it, I got here in the end. You can do this, I can do this because we are stronger than the addiction. Remind yourself why you are here, you are here because you want a better smoke free life for yourself. Stay strong xx

• Like 4

Nikki, those early days are hard. At the moment you’re fighting much harder than those with longer quits, you work more, use more energy. I admire your strength and determination. It will pass. You will see, it will pass. We are here if you want to talk or scream. 

• Like 2