1 August - World Lung Cancer Day

It is a sad reality that most of us here will have been touched in some way by the sadness and horror of Lung Cancer. So when I was researching what 'days' it was today... and let me just say there were 9 options I found globally for 1 August the information I found out about Lung Cancer shocked and sadly surprised me. Sadly because I feel it was facts I should have known and had either chosen to ignore or black out because surely it should be common knowledge. These are some things I learnt (or re-learnt) or knew:

• So what surprised me was that at the beginning of the 1900's lung cancer was relatively rare and now it is the second most common cancer globally (behind non-melanoma skin cancer). So this is globally, I know in Australia it is 6th, in the US it is 2nd, in the UK it is 3rd in Canada it is 2nd and for Portuguese men it is 3rd (couldn't find gender neutral results so not sure how skewed that is).
  • 90% of lung cancers are preventable.
    • The most common causes are smoking, work pollutants (uranium, radiation, asbestos), air pollution, nutritional deficiencies
  • Lung Cancer is the most common secondary sight for metastasized melanoma (skin cancer). I new this because I have lost 3 friends to secondary skin cancer in their lung tissues.
  • Smoking is responsible for 94% of Lung Cancers.
  • Quitting smoking and reducing exposure to passive tobacco smoke can significantly reduce patient risk for developing lung cancer.
    • The risk of lung cancer decreases with each year you are quit.
  • Medical advances in the past 10 years in relation to treatment and early diagnosis are more than occurred in the previous 50 years combined.
  • Lung Cancer claims more deaths yearly than Breast, Colon & Prostrate cancers combined.

Lung cancer is vile, it destroys not only its victims but the people around them but we can reduce our chances of developing this disease and we can educate the generations coming behind us so that the risks we have taken on ourselves are not theirs.

So for all those we have lost, Vale, and to all those suffering, keep fighting, stay strong.  (edit)... and for all those left behind *hugs* and hold on to the happy memories and think of them with love and fondness always.

For anyone lurking... do yourself a favour and give up, Quit, pledge NOPE (not one puff ever)... because each day you don't smoke you are improving the odds that you can avoid this disease.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Thanks Jo. It's something we all need to be aware of.

My most sad, and in a way appalling, story about knowing someone with lung cancer who survived it then a few months later took up smoking again.

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDIN ME!?

OK I feel better now. Carry on fabulous quitters!

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Phoebe2 said:

Thanks Jo. It's something we all need to be aware of.

My most sad, and in a way appalling, story about knowing someone with lung cancer who survived it then a few months later took up smoking again.

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDIN ME!?

OK I feel better now. Carry on fabulous quitters!

I remember you telling us this phoebe! It's hard to see someone beat cancer just to go back to smoking when there's so many others who kicked the habit only to succumb to cancer ?

• Like 3

I know Jillar. And I see this every day (well, 5 days a week) because she's a work colleague. It just does my head in that it was a miracle she survived and all the love and support she received while recovering doesn't mean shite. I guess her friends and family will have to do it all over again down the track God forbid. :(

• Sad 2

Yea @Phoebe2, that must be hard to watch. I don't remember if you said she quit before her diagnosis or because of her diagnosis. I think that makes a big difference in her being able to stay quit if she quit because and not before. I also remember you telling us how she badly she coughed. I imagine that will be coming back soon enough too ?

Thanks Jo...

Cancer has touched everyone ...

Would like to add ...its not only your lungs smoking can cause cancer...

I have just lost my life long friend to Pancreatic Cancer....smoking was a major factor....

It's never too late to quit..why wait ....don't let a fatal illness  make your decision for you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, jillar said:

Yea @Phoebe2, that must be hard to watch. I don't remember if you said she quit before her diagnosis or because of her diagnosis. I think that makes a big difference in her being able to stay quit if she quit because and not before. I also remember you telling us how she badly she coughed. I imagine that will be coming back soon enough too ?

Sadly she decided to smoke right up to her surgery and then quit during her recovery period. So yes, she only quit because of her diagnosis. I guess to justify the smoking in her mind surgery 'cured' her of lung cancer so it will do so again. Apparently she smokes because  she 'enjoys it'. Yeah that old chestnut. I used to use that justification too. :(

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been diagnosed and treated for lung cancer after I quit smoking and haven't died a horrible death yet (knock on wood).

I  asked for a chest xray as part of a physical after I quit. I didn't have any symptoms, not even a cough.  I also know other people whose lung cancers were caught early by xrays.

Get a yearly low dose screening ct scan if you can and if not then an xray is better than nothing. It is what caught my lung cancer at a potentially curable stage. That was almost 3 years ago and now I have graduated to yearly ct scans to check for recurrence or new disease.  Of course as a lung cancer survivor I am at extra risk for any type of cancer now.

I just wanted to say it is not an automatic death sentence if you are diagnosed early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3