Almost through day one

nikki729

?  Well the first cup of coffee without a cigarette was one brutal crave. I was even a bit shakey. I really was fighting these feelings of anxiety most of today. I do realise these feelings are going to happen regardless of whether I like it or not. Been educating myself at whyquit and learning to just go with the flow.  Water for some reason is helping me. Sipping juice and letting things happen instead of fighting these feelings is how I am coping thus far. Keep saying over and over that I am healing and this eventually will all end. I know I have a long way to go but day one is so important to me. Low energy and absolutely no desire to do anything. So I continue to read and lay back and accept what is going on. Never want to go through this again. Be back in less than 5 hours when day one will be history. Phew just needed to ramble. 

• Like 7

That is great! Hi and welcome to the train! Here is something to help you the first two weeks

Tools for the First Two Weeks

The first few weeks off cigarettes can be tough, but things do improve. Though symptoms may be strong at first, they will go away. Tell yourself you are recovering from smoking, not in withdrawal. The symptoms are your body's way of telling you it is on the mend!

Keep busy: When you distract yourself by doing something else, the urge to smoke may go away.

Use positive self-talk to help you through the tough times.  Statements like, "I will not smoke no matter what," or "My body is telling me it is getting better," can help you master times of strong cravings.

Don't forget your Butt Jar. Keep it someplace where you can see it as a reminder you are not putting that stuff into your body anymore.

Don't forget the Five D's:

Delay

Drink water

Do something else

Deep breathe

Discuss your feelings

Most importantly, don’t worry about what it will be like without a smoke a month from now. Try to stay in the moment and focus on not smoking just for today. When you get up tomorrow, commit to not smoking for that day. The days will add up fast!

Hang in there. You can do it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nikki729 said:

Phew just needed to ramble. 

Ramble away Nikki.  Use this forum as much as you need.  Regardless of where we're at in our quit, everybody here started right where you are.  We all understand.

Congratulations on making a great choice for yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After 3 days your body is free of nicotine...I found this amazing ..after pumping it in for 52 years...

Your doing great Nikki..your body has a lot of healing to do...

Stay close to the board..it wiil help you get over the bad times...

Remember all your feeling is temporary.... X

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know Doreen the more I read here the more I am amazed by so many things. Had no idea that nerve endings were damaged and that after only 3 days nicotine is out of your system. Yes so unbelievable. The healing timeline is also amazing. Learning all these things here has been so valuable. Really helps my state of mind. I love this site. Such a wealth of information. 

• Like 2

Congratulations, Nikki!  You should be feeling the effects of quitting already in your breathing.  I used to enjoy taking deep deep breaths.

Why not list down the reasons you're quitting.  You can always come back and read them if you need a little motivation.  Stay close to the forum and ramble away.  It helps to be able to be close to people who have gone through the same journey and can relate.

Also,  every time you beat a crave (like the one with the coffee), the crave gets weaker and you get stronger.  Within days, you'll have defeated all the usual daily craves.

Finally, remember to use the SOS before giving in.  It really works and has saved many a quit.

• Like 4

You're doing great nikki :) I would definitely agree with BKP about getting a ticker for your signature. It's so cool watching all the time, money and cigs NOT smoked add up :) 

• Like 3

Everything you are going through is normal and it sounds like you have a good attitude about your quit.  That will help a lot. 

Remember, smoking does nothing positive for you.  Whatever positive things someone sees in smoking is all an illusion. 

Smoking does, however, do a whole hell of a lot of negative things for you.  You are not giving anything positive up.  You are making a huge and great life change by getting the poison of smoking out of your system and out of your life for good.

I'm glad Sazerac posted that thread about Allen Carr.  Carr's book helped me out in a huge way and I gained a lot from it.  I would strongly suggest reading or listening to it.  It really changed my overall mindset about smoking. 

Oh, and anytime you need to vent, feel free.  That's part of what a support group is about and venting can really help.

You are doing great, Nikki!

• Like 2