California Fires !!!

Doreensfree

A buddy of mine that lives in Mariposa had to leave home last week.  Last I heard, he towed his Airstream up to Oregon and is planning on trying to wait things out up there.

Terrible situation.  Godspeed Golden State.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cranston fire in Idyllwild caused heavy smoke and ash where I live but it's calmed down now.  Fire is 50% contained. Over 15,000 acres of beautiful mountain forest destroyed.  Almost felt like I was smoking again when the smoke was thick.  

Very sad that some demented arsonist was responsible for starting 9 fires in that area.  2 Firefighters injured and multiple homes destroyed.  Heard that arsonist is eligible for life in prison sentence. 

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, jillar said:

I hope when they do catch him he DOES get life in prison!

Yes 100% agree.. no time or sympathy for arsonists, especially those scumbags who start bushfires (wildfires). Lived through too many horror summers in Aus, sick of the loss of life and destruction.

• Like 2

200 Aussies and Kiwis shipped out to give a hand... look after our boys. There are likely more to be going, my brother has been told to pack his bags as he would be in the next lot going over. He has been overseas a few times for fires so we know the drill.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brother's been sent to NSW... where it is winter and we have over 70 fires burning... sadly one of the water bombing choppers crashed when the bucket got caught in trees killing the pilot.

Hope things are easing up in California.. looks like it will be a long fire season here.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jillar said:

I'll be thinking positive thoughts for your brave brother who chose such a selfless career. I have deep respect for our hard-working firefighters.

nope .. volunteer... out here most of the country fire fighters are volunteers... my brother is a marine biologist & environmental engineer and does something to do with rivers and estuaries and irrigation and somehow that give him some skill to do with fire fighting and prediction of patterns and using the fire and environment to put it out... we love our cfa, cfs, ses, boys and girls who put their arses on the line as volunteers.. some are paid but most are not... where i live is outside mfb (melb fire brigade) boundaries so we only have the cfa (country fir authority)...i think we have a dozen paid but the rest are volunteers.

oh..nothing against the carreer guys and girls .... just as brave

• Like 1