Jam, Relish, Chutney & Pickle Recipes

notsmokinjo

So I spent a fair wack of me childhood with my Grandma or my Great Aunty one of the best things about that is I grew up learning how to cook, and bake, and sew and knit and crochet and all that jazz the old ducks born between after WWI just knew how to do. So over summer dad had a bumper crop on his fruit trees in the backyard and we couldn't eat the stuff before it would start to turn. So I jammed... and jammed.... and chutneyed and relished.... and rediscovered how calming and satisfying it is to do something as simple as sterilise some jars and make some jam.

So here is a spot to share your jam recipes, if you have them... or your tips and tricks....

• Like 1

I have never made jam or any of the stuff you mentioned but my Mum used to make the best ever strawberry and/or raspberry jam I ever tasted. I'm sure she has a recipe somewhere but you know those old dollies who could cook up a storm would always change something up a little to their recipe so, even if you had the recipe, you would never be able to match the outcome 100%. She was also a whiz at sewing. She would make the coolest Raggedy Ann & Andy stuffed dolls for her grand kiddies :) They looked very professional once she'd finish with them. It was all self taught too. That's how it was in those days. Learn from someone older then practice, practice, practice!

She stopped making those preserves and sewing when she hit about 90 years old. Boy I sure do miss her homemade stuff. Can't buy anything like that in any store or even at the farmer's market. I guess those of us lucky enough to have had mother's who had those talents were truly blessed to have experienced that. Kind of spoils you a little though. Now all the commercially made stuff tastes like crap ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reci - my mum could make anything she cooked taste like clagg... I was blessed to have awesome grandmas, aunties and even my grandad was a wiz in the kitchen. Dad's pretty good too and being one of so many kids he even knows how to knit.

@Wee fluffy me here are the Beetroot recipes... I have to ask, do you just love beetroot cos its purple? Have you tried roasting it with your other vegies? It roasts up like carrots or parsnips only it tastes better.

(OK so I have included her comments in brackets that she wrote into the recipe for me)

Grandma's Beetroot Jam

1 kg raw beetroot, peeled & grated
1 brown onion sliced thinly ... (I use a medium onion but you can use a large one)
2 cups orange unsweetened orange juice (don't be lazy, squeeze your own)
1 cup Soft Brown Sugar .... firmly packed in.
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons of all cinamon

1 pinch nutmeg

1 pinch cloves (or not, I know you don't like it)

1. Put all ingredients except the beetroot into the jam pot (medium sized saucepan) bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer.

2. Simmer until half the juice has reduced.

3. Add the beetroot, bring back to the simmer and keep simmering until all the juice is gone.

4. on a frozen plate do the wrinkle test when ready put in sterile jars and seal. [I'll find something to explain this]
Add in the grated beetroot and cook uncovered until nearly all the juice is gone.

Will keep in the fridge for about 6 weeks..... (everything keeps in the fridge, especially in summer)... this recipe makes about 5 cups, so about 4 jars worth.

Aunty Pat's Beetroot Relish

1 Tbsp oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 long (sweet) red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped .... so this is optional, I don't get to use this much because I live with sooks in my life who don't like chillies... can usually get away with 1/2 a long sweet red chilli.... have in despiration used a red capsicum (about 1/2 ... um I think capsicum is bell pepper??)
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or 3 heaped teaspoons from the jar stuff)
3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated (Or 3 heaped teaspoons from the jar stuff)
1-2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground coriander (optional because lots of people hate the flavour of coriander... which I think is also known as Chilantro?)
2 tsp salt

1-2 tsp ground Allspice (pimento) ... NOT MIXED SPICE.
1kg beetroot, washed, peeled & grated
APROX 1 cup malt vinegar
500g Jam Setting Sugar  (any supermarket will sell this in at least one brand... means you don't have to fiddle with pectin and stuff or do the stupid cornflour trick)

1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, chilli, garlic and ginger and stir until well combined. Cook for 8 minutes or until onion mixture is softened.

2. Stir in cumin seeds, coriander, salt and all spice. Cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic.

3. Add beetroot and vinegar, you need a full cup or enough extra to make sure all ingredients are covered. Stir until combined and mixture comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until beetroot is tender.

4. Add sugar, increase heat and bring mixture to the boil then simmer on high for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. ... use the wrinkle test to see if its ready.

5. Spoon into sterilised jars.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Thanks 1

The Wrinkle Test

So when making jams and relishes/chutneys you need to test if its ready... I got taught to use the wrinkle test.... so pop a saucer in the freezer before you start making the jam... when you think the jam is done take the saucer out of the freezer, spoon a bit on, let it sit for about 30 seconds then test see below:

If it doesn't wrinkle, pop it back on the heat for another 2 minutes and re-test.

I also found this on You Tube which is a different way... but not how I was taught..

OK so I stumbled across this Jam recipe this summer when I didn't have enough peaches to make a full batch of peach jam and needed more fruit... opened the freezer and now this is the only jam my dad eats...

Peach & Raspberry Jam

600g peeled and de-seeded peaches (fresh)... roughly chopped

500g frozen raspberries (cos that's what was in the freezer)

3 Tablespoons lemon juice

1kg Jam setting sugar

(normally the rule is 1kg of fruit to 1kg of jam setting sugar... but for some reason this jam works better with the extra hundred g of fruit)

1. Put the fruit and juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil.

2. Continue boiling on a medium heat, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes or until the raspberries have completely broken down. (just like stewing apples, let the fruit break down)

3. Add sugar and bring back to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes.

4. Remove pan from heat, do the wrinkle test, then return to heat for 2 minutes if not ready.. keep going until ready.... I the time is affected by the temp and humidity on the day.. sometimes up to 10mins before its ready.

5. Spoon into sterile jars and seal.

(If you do step 3 just until the sugar disolves its a really yummy topping for ice cream because it stays thick but runny)

Edited by notsmokinjo

22 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Ask Doreen about Beetroot anything ............. she's an expert ?

Yep !! Beetroot and lettuce...was my diet for months pre gallbladder op !!!

The neighbours donated it..to keep me supplied...lol....

I never want to see it again for a long time !!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Yep !! Beetroot and lettuce...was my diet for months pre gallbladder op !!!

The neighbours donated it..to keep me supplied...lol....

I never want to see it again for a long time !!!

Ktwbrtalx6j.gif?zoom=2

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...