For the umpires teen time.

Zeezazz

I decided to quit cold turkey this morning. My longest quit before was for 14 months-thought I could just have the one puff and just quit again. Obviously I forgot about the rule of addiction, that was five years ago and since then I have had several failed attempts at quitting. Finally I logged back on WhyQuit.com which I have several times within the last five years but this time  I finally remembered what made my one year successful was the social support. This time around I will definitely stay vigilant about NTAP... and for now, one day at a time. 

Some of my biggest concerns are my husband, he just gets scared shitless every time I quit (emotionally)... I thought about just not telling anyone this time, so they are not expecting me to be on edge... thoughts? 

Of course I gained a lot of weight during my last long quit and have lost most of since then, but this still worries me- gaining the weight. 

However- I am soooo looking forward to the freedom again!!!

• Like 7

Hey congrats Zeezazz! This is the best thing you can do for yourself, and I'm sure you already know that. Yes, the freedom from this addiction is one of the biggest benefits :)

I think I would give hubby the heads-up that you are quitting. You will likely be "on edge" anyway in the early days so better he knows why right? In terms of weight gain, that you can deal with as you build your quit by trying to eat right and some exercise. There's even and page on here dealing with that.

I hope to see you around noping every day Z. Let's make this your forever Quit!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to our merry band of quitters, Zeezazz !

Congratulations on making the decision to quit.

You may find this thread helpful

10 ways to effectively use this forum

Don't fret about weight, you know how to loose it and quitting smoking adds a few lbs just for quitting. 

It is your body protecting itself.

If you eat right and exercise you will be fine. 

Exercise is a great way to beat craves and satsumas are also helpful to snack on.

I don't know how to advise you about telling your family or not.

You don't have to fulfil a previous prophecy.  You don't have to be a lunatic when you quit.

I found that education and more understanding about addiction quelled my inner cuckoo pretty well.

You can choose to be calmer.  Meditation will help.

You are right about being vigilent about never taking another puff.

We have a daily pledge page, Not One Puff Ever, NOPE.

Stay close to the board and post often, let us get to know you

and let others read your story. 

You never know who will read about your experience and be inspired to quit.

Don't forget to have some fun too, there is an active group of game players and they are marvelous.

We are all here to cheer you on and watch you succeed.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Zeezazz, great to see you here and congratulations on making the leap. Hubby will obviously be or rapidly become aware in any case, so get all the support and understanding you can. You obviously have experience of a fairly successful previous quit, it's good that you have reflected on that and identified things that may help. 

Stay close, read and post lots. The better people get to know you the easier it is for them to pick up anytime you are having a rough time of it. 

Look forward to seeing you around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome zeezazz and congrats on quitting again. I didn't tell anyone except my hubby for about six weeks in for the same reason. If yours is like mine and is a non smoker he won't mind a little craziness from you for a while in exchange for a smoke free wife :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Zeezazz... I'd be inclined to tell hubby and let him know you have this whole group of crazies that you can come and unload the emotional stuff too so he has back up. We are happy for you to vent here because we have all done it. Make a list of the lessons you have learnt from previous quits and keep it close to help you if it gets hard. Everyone else has already commented on all the key things or you have yourself but let me just say the 11th of any month is a really successful day to quit (just check today's congratulations thread) and July is a really successful month with lots of members having their 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th year anniversaries this month. So you've picked a great time to quit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zeezazz said:

I am soooo looking forward to the freedom again!!!

The freedom makes it all worth it.  On edge for a little while.  Maybe put on a little extra weight.  Small prices to pay for a lifetime of freedom.

5 hours ago, Zeezazz said:

I finally remembered what made my one year successful was the social support.

We've got social support here.  Free of charge!

Pull up a chair and stay awhile.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Z..

Take your time and read the information here...some great things to get you through most of your concerns...

Watch all joels videos...when you have the right tools..the job is easier...

Take part in our NOPE thread...a promise to yourself ,not to smoke that day...you'll be surprised how quick the days mount up..

• Like 1

Welcome to QuitTrain, Zee! 

Feel free to check in and let us know how you are doing.  There's a lot of support here to help you stay quit for good.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2