Bar after quitting

I went to the bar last night, a mere 6 hours into my quit. I already decided not to drink because obviously I would normally be chain smoking at the bar and the first couple times after I quit I just want to go without the alcohol included. 

It was a major success. I didn't even consider bumming from any of the many smokers there. It was also a 40 minute drive from my house. Man, I thought that drive was boring before! Well, I just turned up the radio and sang away. I was home before I knew it. 

• Like 6

Congratulations, S, on your quit !

Each smoking situation you conquer is a huge success and you should reward yourself in some way

to remind your brain what rewards are true rewards.

It is great to see you here.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and post often.

Let us know how we can help and understand that your posts serve to help others.

This post may be helpful to you

10 ways to effectively use this forum  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SneakyTurtle said:

I went to the bar last night, a mere 6 hours into my quit. I already decided not to drink because obviously I would normally be chain smoking at the bar and the first couple times after I quit I just want to go without the alcohol included. 

It was a major success. I didn't even consider bumming from any of the many smokers there. It was also a 40 minute drive from my house. Man, I thought that drive was boring before! Well, I just turned up the radio and sang away. I was home before I knew it. 

Well done, ST!!

• Like 1

Good job sneaky turtle :) I decided when I quit that I was going to keep enjoying my beer or two and  it worked great for me so as not to be a trigger for wanting to smoke. That being said I also was very aware of how I was feeling crave wise on any given day and on those bad days I just stayed close to home because I didn't trust myself. So be aware and you'll be prepared :)

• Like 2

Great Job ST! Anticipating possible smoking trigger situations and having a plan to deal with them is half the battle. Your unwavering resolve to remain quit will always get you through those times. Stay strong my friend :)

• Like 2

I am a big supporter of facing triggers head on as soon as possible to get it over with. Otherwise, I feel the fear and anticipation builds up and makes it worse in your mind than it ever is. 

My biggest obstacle at the moment is sleep. That is all I want to do. I am pretty sure I am going to my car to sleep on my lunch break. I slept 9.5 hours last night and even though that is a LOT more than normal, my body doesn't think it's enough. Sipping cranberry juice and trying to snack to keep my blood/sugar up isn't even helping. 

?

• Like 5

Totally normal sneakyturtle, your body is already hard at work trying to repair the damage done. Consider yourself lucky that you're sleeping so well a lot of us, myself included, had insomnia the first couple of months 

• Like 1

Well done S !...

As jillar has pointed out ..sleep deprived is a big one for slot of folks ...me included...I was at the board 24/7....

Everything is temporary.... Patience is a must...your body has to catch up with your brain...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SneakyTurtle said:

I am a big supporter of facing triggers head on as soon as possible to get it over with. Otherwise, I feel the fear and anticipation builds up and makes it worse in your mind than it ever is. 

My biggest obstacle at the moment is sleep. That is all I want to do. I am pretty sure I am going to my car to sleep on my lunch break. I slept 9.5 hours last night and even though that is a LOT more than normal, my body doesn't think it's enough. Sipping cranberry juice and trying to snack to keep my blood/sugar up isn't even helping. 

?

I'm with you on facing the triggers head on, good job with day 1.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SneakyTurtle said:

You will find as you go along, as you continue to face down triggers, often times when the trigger has been faced you will be left with one question: why was I worried about that?  The addicted mind is proficient at creating hypothetical difficulties and worst-case scenarios.  The realities of quitting are never as scary as the imagined.

You are doing great Sneaky Turtle.  Enjoy your newfound freedom.

• Like 4

Great job, Turtle.

I shied away from triggers and tried to avoid them early on in my quit.  I think it is great that  you are facing them head on right away.  You got my respect.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 2