If you're here you're either considering quitting smoking or you've already quit and, like me, are googling various quit questions you are going through and found our board. I lurked for the hardest first three weeks of my quit until I witnessed first hand a member post an SOS and save their quit with the help of other members. I signed up then and there.

There's a ton of info here and a lot of ways to distract your mind from the craves. But the biggest asset of all here is the years of experience from actual quitters in all phases of the quitting process. This knowledge is invaluable but in order for us to help you you have to post. Whatever it is you're going through more than likely SOMEONE, if not many, here has dealt with it too. It does wonders for your peace of mind. So even if you sign up to post one question, I encourage you to do so. :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

^^ What she said.

I was a bit more spontaneous, I was freaking out in week 3, googled, found a board, joined and it was the best thing ever. The knowledge and support I have received have really eased my way in this quit. I know I have a wonderful group of people at my back and because we are global it doesn't matter what time zone ya in or what time of day it is there is always someone not far away to help you out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I lurked here for the first 10 months of my quit and learned all I could about my nicotine addiction.

Reading voraciously and following some favorite posters helped to solidify my quit.

I joined after 10 months primarily to thank everybody for being so influential in my success and the rest is history.

These days, I root around the archives to find posts that helped me, that may help others

and write a few words of encouragment to beautiful nicotine free creatures.

The stories and advice remain consistent; 

Make the decision to quit. 

Never re-introduce nicotine to your body again, never-ever-forever.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction.

If you want/need a support system you have come to the right place.

Your story resonates with all smokers and has the potential to lead a lurker,  like me,  to freedom.

You can also have a lot of fun here while you are changing your life for the better.

• Like 6

When I was thinking about quitting the deciding factor was the support that I read on a message board. 

I quit multiple times with all levels of failures but my final quit happened when I did it with support. 

Talking to people who were going through exactly what I was going through at the same

time and could talk me through my struggles helped me immensely. 

Knowing that everything was temporary and there was light at the end of the tunnel helped to solidify the permanence of my quit. 

Join us. ❤️❤️

• Like 6

Thanks for posting this Jillar!

I am not a social media person at all. I was skeptical that "joining an internet forum" to help myself quit smoking but like others, a couple days into my quit, I was reeling mentally and knew I needed something to help me get through those early days. I too googled "quit smoking forums" and came up with a couple that appeared interesting. I joined right away rather than lurking and started to participate in the discussions because some of the things these people were taking about was what I was now experiencing myself! This was the realization that, I was not alone in my struggles! I continued to participate and read everything I could about this addiction. I found that education about nicotine addiction was another key to my successful quit.

Fast forward to today and I would say that joining a support group like this is the best decision I have made in terms of helping myself get through the process of quitting. I was really surprised at how much help and how much fun a place like this could be. These people won't do the hard work for you. YOU have to do that yourself but, you can rest assured there will be many people here that you can turn to or who will even come to you and relate exactly to what you are experiencing at any given stage of your quit.

You have nothing to lose and maybe everything to gain. And, it costs nothing but the time you devote to it :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

When I first quit I checked out various quit smoking forums and found this one.  I lurked for about a week really researching everything on this forum.  I too am not a "social network" type of person but I saw the value that I might get from the QuitTrain.  I have not regretted that decision and have not looked back since.  It can't hurt but it sure does help.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I am not a social media person at all. I was skeptical that "joining an internet forum" to help myself quit smoking but like others, a couple days into my quit, I was reeling mentally and knew I needed something to help me get through those early days.

6 hours ago, Martian5 said:

I too am not a "social network" type of person but I saw the value that I might get from the QuitTrain.  

Same here.  It wasn't anything to do with The Quit Train, but due to my opinion of social media...I was skeptical even when I joined.  Two years later and I'm still here.  The Train is different from other social networking sites.  There is a common mission and unifying bond shared by members here.  This site is helping people dramatically improve the quality of their lives.

The fact that we can have a laugh along the way is a big bonus as well.

Viva Quit Train!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I want to add that if you are still smoking and making a plan for your future quit, I recommend that you stop smoking at times or places that you usually smoke. I always smoked in my garage so about a month before I quit, even though I didn't have a planned quit date, I quit smoking in the garage. It really helps disassociate those places/times with smoking :) 

• Like 7

^^^ YES, THIS!

Changing your "smoking routine" is absolutely key to breaking your own personal smoking cycle. The sooner you start down that path, the more quickly your brain will get used to not associating certain places and situations with smoking. Starting early is a good thing :)

• Like 5

Joining a forum ...made this quit different to all the fail ones that went before...

Having support 24/7...is so much better than doing it alone...

I'm have met the most wonderful people here...who will support you every step of the way..

We laugh...quitting doesn't have to be miserable....

We try and help through life's problems ...so your not over whelmed.....

What have you got to lose.... Nothing...but it could change your life ,like you couldn't,t imagine...

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I will have been quit for 8 years this month and after smoking a pack a day for 40+ years, I never thought I’d ever be able to get that Nicodemon off my back.  I just signed up today to try to support a dear friend who is trying to quit after triple by-pass surgery. She's scaring me. I told her checking in with a board like this several times a day when I was quitting was so helpful.  I used to keep a “War Journal” of encouraging comments from posters and I would read over it every single day. I’m glad I found this board and I hope I’m able to help my friend quit because after all she’s been thru, she’s having a hard time.  

• Like 8

Welcome Rory... the more the merrier. Has your friend signed up yet? Being on the boards is so very helpful, especially in the early, early days. I am so glad a joined a support group, it really had made an enormous difference to my quit. The support from my fellow quitters, the shared experiences and knowing I wasn't alone, having somewhere to cry for help when it was getting hard and witnesses to my NOPE pledge have been invaluable.

• Like 2

Your friend will get noting but support here my friend but, as you know, she must first of all log on here herself and she must make the commitment to herself to do the heavy lifting to make this very worthwhile change in her life. Your are right though, staying in touch with others making their own way through this struggle is a really useful tool in quitting. There's a lot of collective knowledge to be shared for those who participate :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Hi @Rory69, welcome to quittrain and congrats on that awesome 8 year quit! I remember how special I felt when I first quit and someone with a long quit would reply to my post. So your support will be appreciated by many here I'm sure :)

Hopefully your friend will find us when she's ready as we all know that in order to be successful you have to be ready to quit.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rory69 said:

I will have been quit for 8 years this month and after smoking a pack a day for 40+ years, I never thought I’d ever be able to get that Nicodemon off my back.  I just signed up today to try to support a dear friend who is trying to quit after triple by-pass surgery. She's scaring me. I told her checking in with a board like this several times a day when I was quitting was so helpful.  I used to keep a “War Journal” of encouraging comments from posters and I would read over it every single day. I’m glad I found this board and I hope I’m able to help my friend quit because after all she’s been thru, she’s having a hard time.  

Rory, congrats on your quit and when your friend is feeling up to it.... have her join this quit train forum!

I had triple-bypass surgery 3 months ago myself and I was so thankful that I had quit smoking a year ago (my last cig was as I was on my way to hospital as I was having a stroke!!) I went through withdrawal then while in hospital for 8 days and it was torture even with the patch! 

My mantra is "One Day at a Time"....and sometimes I would go to bed at 7 pm (I have always been a night-owl but the near constant nicotine trigger chatter in my brain was exhausting me) so I figured it best to just get some sleep and the day would be over. Drinking lots of water and deep breathing was helpful also...along with finding and participating in an online support group. Here I am 17 months after quitting and 3 months after the bypass surgery and I am feeling pretty good! ?

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Rory69 said:

Congratulations on your 8 years of freedom, Rory.

I am truly happy you have found us, your experiences, your 'war journal' will be incredibly useful to the community.

Hope your friend finds her way, away from nicotine addiction and has some fun here.

You are a great friend.

• Like 2

Welcome, Rory.  Congratulations on 8 years smoke free.

Yes, please encourage your friend to sign up here.  I never thought I would be able to quit but having a support group and educating yourself about nicotine addiction can greatly increase your chances of quitting for good.

I know it is really hard watching a loved one struggle with health issues due to smoking when you know, as a quitter, how much better off they would be without that dark cloud of nicotine addiction ruining their lives.  We will be there to provide any support she needs.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind responses.  I will definitely try to get my friend to join this site when she starts talking to me again.  After she asked how I quit, I shared all the little tricks I used and after each one she would say “oh, that’s not going to work” or “that sounds stupid”. I finally got frustrated and told her she really didn’t want to quit and she hung up on me.  Watching someone you care about struggle with this terrible addiction is very difficult.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rory69 said:

Thanks, everyone, for all the kind responses.  I will definitely try to get my friend to join this site when she starts talking to me again.  After she asked how I quit, I shared all the little tricks I used and after each one she would say “oh, that’s not going to work” or “that sounds stupid”. I finally got frustrated and told her she really didn’t want to quit and she hung up on me.  Watching someone you care about struggle with this terrible addiction is very difficult.

Hi Rory, welcome to QuitTrain.

Unfortunately, there is not that much that the forum can do for a person who is not ready to quit. You can take her story and repeat it millions of times, it is not unique in any way. 

People endure multiple amputations, heart attacks and heart surgery, strokes, surgerys cancer of various parts of their bodies, and the most awful sufferings that a person can imagine......be told by their doctors they must quit smoking *NOW*........and still not get it. Smoking is just awful. It kills millions of people every year, and disables many millions more. It is the most awful epidemic that humans on this earth have suffered ever in history. And the sad truth, is that this enormous damage is preventable.

I am so sorry that you are having to endure this. I can understand that your friend has 1000 fears at this point, but try to keep the communcation open with her, and let her know this forum is here for her, when she is ready to accept help.   That is all you can do.

Congratulations on your 8 years quit !!!

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 2