Quit By Vaping?

I was listening to Talk radio on my way home from work this evening and the topic of vaping came up. Mind you, neither of the two people who moderate the show vape but they were talking about the horrendous clouds of vapor or whatever and how that would affect people around them if they were allowed to vape in restaurants etc. Apparently there's a pretty large group trying to push this through legislation where people can vape anywhere they want ?  based on the fact they say it' is a legitimate quit smoking therapy. Long story short, I couldn't believe the number of people who called in adamant that it was a legit way to get off cigs. I near drove off the road because that has not been my experience. I counted at least 4 or 5 people who swore they quit smoking cigs by vaping for about 6-12 months then off vape too.

I still am not convinced. Smoking is smoking no matter what you are putting in your lungs. And, the issue I have in particular with vaping is the whole motions thing is exactly the same as smoking.  Learning what to do with your brain and your hands when you quit is one of the longest reprogramming issues. If you are vaping to fill those voids then you are not progressing, plain and simple! The show ended when someone called in saying they had been diagnosed with "popcorn lungs" after vaping for some years; what ever that is.

In any case, this is not intended to suggest to Newbies that this is an acceptable method of quitting. I tried it for awhile well before I ever thought seriously about quitting everything and I found it too harsh on my throat - not sure why but I gave it up pretty quickly. Plain fact is this stuff hasn't been around long enough for conclusive studies to show valid evidence either way on vaping. I

I still maintain that you either quit putting shite in your lungs, no matter what the content, or you don't.

I know not every one will agree because there's lots that like to indulge in the leafy weed. Well, we all make choices and live with the results of those choices and I will never judge others for the choices they make because I'm happy to live in one of many free countries where we have the power of choice as individuals!

My recommendation is to just NOPE! Each and ever day. I've got quite a few days in and it's great :49_triumph:

• Like 3

You cannot even suggest that smoking "leafy weed" is bad news cause they will say "that is dumb assery" or whatever. What REALLY tripped me out is we have one member here who is always digging up these philosophical threads from years ago, who also tries to sound SO smart, but in one thread admitted to using weed. Like they are all about not smoking tobacco, but weed is alright.

I do not personally care if someone replaces one burning plant with another, it isn't my lungs they are hurting.

As far as vape - oh yes, there are organizations who are pushing the heck out of it and saying it is a stop smoking method. That IS often true, however, it is a lateral move from one bad habit to another. "Vape will help you quit smoking" is as much a fact as saying "You will find a husband on a dating site". What they leave out is the fact that it is someone else's husband.

Quitting smoking by vaping, though a fact, is the not entire story.

Some people just do NOT have the discipline to put away nicotine. But since it is "not as bad as smoking" then they are justified. The nicodemon is laughing his ass off every time someone thinks they are "quitting" by picking up vape.

People who want to call themselves "quitters" need to drop the substitute lung pollutants and just QUIT.

They need to quit listening to the lies that say, "Well, this and that is okay... it is not as bad as cigarettes".

Otherwise, why not just take the cigarette back up and quit pretending to be a "quitter".

Smokers (and tobacco users) will readily admit it is bad, deadly, gross etc.

Vapers and pot heads will argue every excuse in the book.

• Like 1

OK... here is a recent article about "popcorn lung" or bronchiolitis obliterans which is irreversible lung disease similar to COPD. They call it popcorn lung because it was first linked in bulk to factory workers at popcorn factories inhaling the fumes from the buttered mix for the popcorn. This same chemical is in many favoured e-cigs and vape mixes.

http://www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2016/07/popcorn-lung-risk-ecigs.html

So the science is sketchy on the link between if it does or it doesn't and because of that both sides of the debate can manipulate it to either say yes or no... the most conclusive study is one from Harvard from 2015 that indicates that it is probable that there is a link between the flavoured e-cigs and popcorn lung but it needs broader and more intensive investigation. The vapour side of the argument claim there is more chance of getting popcorn lung from smoking normal ciggies.... because in general they have higher levels of the chemical in question. That said, with all the other chemicals in a normal ciggie you will get one of the many other diseases before you will get popcorn lung, and even if you do it will be masked by another more pervasive disease. The simple facts, from what I can gather, are that if an e-cig is going to have a negative health impact (besides the nicotine addiction) it is likely to be popcorn lung because that is the most harmful chemical in them.

I am weary of anything 'new' because when its new its always so 'safe'.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 3

In fact that's how vaping was promoted: as the healthy alternative, and it's now backfiring. The amounts of addicted kids are enormous, vaping is less regulated where shall it be allowed and it's completely out of control. It's such a recent thing that there isn't that much scientific data what the consequences are, but come on, artificial cheescake flavor must contain at least half of the Mendeleyev table.

• Like 6

I am okay with any ‘step down’ method when it comes to quitting, as long as it is that, a step down method not a replacement. That is where vapers get it confused. I think that they feel because it isn’t ‘cigarettes’ then they have quit, nah, you replaced one addiction with another. 

Members (not so much here but other places) will argue that CT is the right way and the only way and that is not true. What works for some doesn’t for others. 

On the ‘leafy greens’... I am on the fence with that because it isn’t the same as smoking a cigarette in the sense of you don’t do it every hour, 30 mins, 15 mins, etc... it’s more of an occasional thing, unless you are a blazing pothead.. in that case then it is a different discussion. That being said if the opportunity arises for me to ‘partake’ I will not unless it is in the form of an edible because I fear that the act of smoking it will be a huge trigger for me. When my friends know that I will be around they will have something for me to eat, because they love me, otherwise I don’t do it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, brand.new.ela said:

artificial cheescake flavor must contain at least half of the Mendeleyev table.

This was one of the arguments that was being made on the radio by the NO side, about how this "vape juice" is flavored and some of the flavors seem to be ones that would appeal to the younger set. Very similar to the old time cigarette ads where glamorous life style was linked with smoking. Marketing! Grow the product base.

On the pot side, you make a good point DD. Even for a pretty regular user I expect we are talking one, maybe two a day if that, unless you are a heavy user? I was never a fan anyway but since I quit the ciggies, I now just don't want to put anything other then air into my lungs. I have damaged them already way too much for way too long. I think I too would go the edibles route if I wanted to partake :)

• Like 3

Vaping --- No I do not agree with it.  Vaping is just as, if not more, addictive than cigs.  I have had several "smoking friends" who went to vaping and cannot give up the nicotine habit (they are still at after 3 years).  Also those who do vape usually take in more nicotine on a daily basis.  Yes there are those that have had quit cigarettes by vaping but it is not the panacea that it is made out to be.  Also many young people are going straight into vaping never having smoked cigarettes and some of those it has led to actually smoking cigarettes.  I agree with the pig lover --- if your going to quit go all in!!!!!!

• Like 4

So pharmaceutical marijuana is sort of approved in my state, but there is only one approved medication and you need to jump through 392 hoops to get approval for a prescription. Your doctor has the option to jump through another couple of hundred more hoops to use one of the 'unapproved medications' ... all other wacky weed is illegal. So for the purposes of this discussion lets just pretend I live somewhere where it is legal and OK.... for me I could not smoke it now I have quit, I know it is not the same (see reasons outlined by DD) but for me smoking anything would be a ciggie trigger.. I might have an edible option but truth be told I've never really enjoyed it the times I have had it.

• Like 1

Yeah i see people vaping all the time. Its crazy. I think its kinda dumb but as long as it helps you to eventually quit tobacco alltogether, then i think its fine. Just dont be lying to yourself.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, StewieTech said:

Yeah i see people vaping all the time. Its crazy. I think its kinda dumb but as long as it helps you to eventually quit tobacco alltogether, then i think its fine. Just dont be lying to yourself.

I agree, i had used Blue and tried to vape. I was still feeding myself nicotine. Real harsh on the throat, i looked at it like a band aide for my addiction. Just another way to deliver it to my body 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

I agree, i had used Blue and tried to vape. I was still feeding myself nicotine. Real harsh on the throat, i looked at it like a band aide for my addiction. Just another way to deliver it to my body 

So you went from cigs to Vape then nothing? How long did you vape for? Just curious. This is what the people who called into that radio show all claimed. They went off cigs and vaped for 3-6 months then quit vaping too. As Martian5 saind above, that has not been my experience based on what I have seen myself in real life. Sure I guess it happens but I think it's pretty rare.

BTW, Whispers, I found it so harsh on my throat I tossed the vape pen I had in less than a week. I never found it as satisfying as a cigarette either. Maybe I had low dose nicotine juice. Don't know. Someone gave me the pen with a juice cartridge in it already.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

So you went from cigs to Vape then nothing? How long did you vape for? Just curious. This is what the people who called into that radio show all claimed. They went off cigs and vaped for 3-6 months then quit vaping too. As Martian5 saind above, that has not been my experience based on what I have seen myself in real life. Sure I guess it happens but I think it's pretty rare.

BTW, Whispers, I found it so harsh on my throat I tossed the vape pen I had in less than a week. I never found it as satisfying as a cigarette either. Maybe I had low dose nicotine juice. Don't know. Someone gave me the pen with a juice cartridge in it already.

It didn't work for me at all. I used Blue for two weeks and i was still craving the nicotine, a friend was vaping and vaping for over a year and he felt better with no ciggs so i gave that a try... Still feeding myself the nicotine and harsh real harsh on the throat. Its like wanting to smoke pot and instead of smoking it you eat it or vaporize it. Didn't work for me, some have claimed they were able to  wean themselves off cigarette as the vap cartage has different % of nicotine in them so they went lower and lower. I'm with you and martian and i also didnt feel like i quit at all as i was still getting the nicotine in my system

• Like 1

Im not fussed about vapers, its their quit. There are some people who would bash folk for using for example patches or gum. I used patches and lozenges and i wouldnt be here without them. So i just think do whatever you goto do to not smoke. Thats the only thing we all have in common here, not smoking fags. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And I forgot to mention earlier, the "Leafy Green" becomes legal all across Canada October 17, 2018.

Each Province will regulate it's sale and distribution, personal growing restrictions and the like. The cops haven't a clue about how impairment while driving will work or what method they will use for detection. Almost guaranteed the whole thing will be one big cluster fu*k.

Geez, talk about creating a whole new revenue stream for all levels of government? That's tough to do these days.

I guess our Prime Minister, Mr. Photo-Op has to do something to raise revenue, now that Trump is kicking his a*s on the trade front ? Oops ... did I just get off on a political tangent - sorry!

rkvn92.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reciprocity said:

And I forgot to mention earlier, the "Leafy Green" becomes legal all across Canada October 17, 2018.

Each Province will regulate it's sale and distribution, personal growing restrictions and the like. The cops haven't a clue about how impairment while driving will work or what method they will use for detection. Almost guaranteed the whole thing will be one big cluster fu*k.

Geez, talk about creating a whole new revenue stream for all levels of government? That's tough to do these days.

I guess our Prime Minister, Mr. Photo-Op has to do something to raise revenue, now that Trump is kicking his a*s on the trade front ? Oops ... did I just get off on a political tangent - sorry!

rkvn92.jpg

Its all over here, you can smoke outside and they wont bust your chops. Pot isnt as bad as they made it out years ago

1 minute ago, WeegieWoman said:

Im not fussed about vapers, its their quit. There are some people who would bash folk for using for example patches or gum. I used patches and lozenges and i wouldnt be here without them. So i just think do whatever you goto do to not smoke. Thats the only thing we all have in common here, not smoking fags. 

True, we all have our own approach and hey, if it works for you then it's the RIGHT approach no matter what it is. I was just surprised at the number of people claiming it worked for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Maybe, I just haven't heard anything except moaning and groaning about the fact they didn't have enough warning time - lol. They've been talking this sh*t for the last 4-5 years! I'm sure there's options out there

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whispers said:

I tried Blue, didn't like it much, I didn't get that same "hit".  The only advantage is that it didn't stink up everything.   Anyway, went back to smoking cigarettes, then quit about a year later.   Can't say it helped me quit either as a couple of times I would "smoke" a Blue e-cig, feel unsatisfied and then immediately after light a real cigarette.

• Like 2

The only thing I will add to the vaping discussion is this one question: do you trust big tobacco?  Big tobacco is seeing the numbers of cigarette smokers in developed countries bottoming out.  They've responded by diversifying their offerings.  Big tobacco is in the process of acquiring any smaller companies that produced vape pens and e-cigs.  

The "safer alternative" is being brought to you by the same merchants of death that brought you the cigarette.  One didn't need a crystal ball or clairvoyance to see it coming...bogus "scientific" research, claims that could never possibly be verified, deceptive business practices, etc., etc...all part and parcel in the emerging vape industry.

New day, same old bullshit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I made three attempts to quit smoking by switching over to vaping.  I initially thought it was great because it calmed my cravings (I know that is BS now) and I didn't smell like cigarettes.  I eventually felt like I was vaping more than I was smoking (taking in more nicotine probably) and started feeling really sick, worse than when I smoked.  Each attempt lasted about two weeks before I went back to smoking regular cigarettes.  Based strictly on personal experience, I would not recommend switching to vaping as a way to quit smoking.

5 minutes ago, Boo said:

The only thing I will add to the vaping discussion is this one question: do you trust big tobacco?

Great point.  I know several people from my high school and college days (roughly 40 years or slightly older now) who never would have light up a cigarette back in the day who are regular vapers now.  Doesn't sound much different than smoking to me.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Boo said:

The only thing I will add to the vaping discussion is this one question: do you trust big tobacco?  Big tobacco is seeing the numbers of cigarette smokers in developed countries bottoming out.  They've responded by diversifying their offerings.  Big tobacco is in the process of acquiring any smaller companies that produced vape pens and e-cigs.  

The "safer alternative" is being brought to you by the same merchants of death that brought you the cigarette.  One didn't need a crystal ball or clairvoyance to see it coming...bogus "scientific" research, claims that could never possibly be verified, deceptive business practices, etc., etc...all part and parcel in the emerging vape industry.

New day, same old bullshit.

Yup, just a different way to deliver it to the people

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wayne045 said:

I tried Blue, didn't like it much, I didn't get that same "hit".  The only advantage is that it didn't stink up everything.   Anyway, went back to smoking cigarettes, then quit about a year later.   Can't say it helped me quit either as a couple of times I would "smoke" a Blue e-cig, feel unsatisfied and then immediately after light a real cigarette.

Yes!! This was me exactly too Wayne :)

I still remember taking a few harsh drags off the e-cig then thinking immediately; the was a let down. I'm going out for a smoke :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WeegieWoman said:

If it works as a quitting method, then great. Anything that works is a legit way. My problem is with vaping sold as a healthy alternative, available to children, not controlled, without warning label or age limit and allowed in public spaces.

• Like 1

I didn't realise they are sold to kids, that is wrong. They are, i thought, 'behind the counter' so i assumed there was some age limit.

If i was a kid now i reckon i would vape ha! You know what kids are like, well i know what i was like. Pure daftie, id try anything ? 

But overall i think, dont know the stats, but less folk are smoking. Thats the bigger picture and its positive....and thats great.