The Crossroads Moments

So we have all heard motivational speeches made by sporting coaches, or political figures, or social reformers. We all know snippets of a speeches that at different times in our lives we draw on for inspiration, for solace, four guidance. I don't know about everyone else but since I quit there have been times when the temptation to smoke has been strong and I have had a few quotes that have got me through... this is probably the main one, not in Aussie Rules states of Australia this is a pretty famous speech.. it was made by the coach of Hawthorn during the 1989 AFL Grandfinal and I actually hear this in his voice... so if you listen from the 100sec mark you get the best bits... I just apply the word quit in my head wherever he says game.... but these are the words that at the lowest of the low I hear in my head:

"In every (quit) game there is going to be a crossroad, and when you get to that crossroad, you either step up, or step you down. It is entirely all up to you. You make the decision, not me."

• Like 6

I too had/have special quotes that I turned to when I was having hard times. One of my favorite was 'Nothing Worthwhile comes easily'. I had it as my title so I would read it everyday :)

Edited by jillar
Auto correct changed easily to radios lol
  • Like 5

Nice post NSJ. I don’t have inspirational quotes but I remember how sh*t difficult it was to stop smoking. If I get a thought to smoke, I ask myself if I want to do that quitting thing again and I say NOPE. I then ask myself if I want emphasymia, COPD, lung cancer, be dependent and useless and I say NOPE! I then get pretty inspired to stick with my NOPE! 

• Like 6

I hear ya, mine was a bit of a song. I heard it on the radio on day one of my quit and I sung it more than once daily for at the very least the first 3 months... 

Thank you Hue and Cry?  

It's the 3rd verse and it kicks in at 2.13

Feel free to boogie on down to the rest of the song too

"I can't stand it, I said I just don't want it
Never gonna need it, anyway yeah
I can't stand it, I said I just don't want it
Never gonna need it, anyway
I don't want you, I don't need you
I don't need your tricks and treats
I don't need your ministration, your bad determination
I've had enough of you, and your super-bad crew
I don't need your, I don't need your
Pseudo-satisfaction baby
I can't stand it, I said I just don't want it
Never gonna need it, anyway yeah
I can't stand it, I don't want it
I don't need your pseudo-satisfaction baby"

Every time sung with passion though the further into my quit I cut it down to "don't want it don't need it NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not big into motivational speakers or "positive figures" because they speak all eloquent and intelligent and stuff but then it is found out later they were involved with human trafficking or some other vile action.

My motivational quote when i find myself wanting a smoke is -

No, screw that s***. By the time i get to the store, the craving will have passed anyways".

And here is a motivational tear jerker, get ready for the slow-clap -

People are going to die of smoking related illnesses. Let it not be me, but to be someone else who DOESN'T have the discipline to quit smoking.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We all draw motivation from that place that works for us and we all have different places. This is another one that comes up time and again not just recently but throughout my life it is from a poem my Grandad learned at school that he wrote in his war diary to help him through the rough times...

If the day looks kinder gloomy,
An' your chances kinder slim!

If the situation's puzzlin'
An' the prospect's awful grim,

An' perplexities keep pressin'
Till all hope is nearly gone,

Jus' bristle up an' grit your teeth
An' keep on keepin' on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This weekend has hit me hard in my quit journey. 

I have felt so exhausted and out of my depth even in menial tasks. I have been sleeping on an off. Having horrible dreams (actually I should call them nightmares) Not sure if this is any side effect of the quit or general exhaustion, but each time I've even felt a slight need to smoke... I have read the poem "Invictus" which is part of my signature.

This poem really wakes up that last bit of strength, will power and resilience I have, and helps me get over the next few minutes, and then some. Next thing I know, the craving is just a blip on the radar.

The one line that I keep saying to myself from this poem is "In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under thebludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed."

And it won't bow to the trickster that is Nicotine...ever.

Thanks for the lovely post Jo, just what I needed to pick myself up before facing the coming week.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, jillar said:

@Tammy what you are going through is totally normal and won't last forever so just try to keep your head up and know that once you get past it you never have to do it again :)

@jillar Thank you for the kind words...yes I'm hoping this won't last or I will metamorph into a sloth...not that I mind, I've found that creatures who move the slowest, live the longest ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tammy said:

This weekend has hit me hard in my quit journey. 

I have felt so exhausted and out of my depth even in menial tasks. I have been sleeping on an off. Having horrible dreams (actually I should call them nightmares) Not sure if this is any side effect of the quit or general exhaustion, but each time I've even felt a slight need to smoke... I have read the poem "Invictus" which is part of my signature.

Fluctuations in mood and energy are more pronounced during the early stages of the quit.  It is important to bear in mind that these ups and downs are not entirely due to the quit.  Addiction does weird things to one's perception and distorts our memories.  When we quit, anytime we begin to feel a bit down our addicted minds offer up a false remembrance of a life free from challenging moments when we smoked.  Life wasn't all roses and rainbows when we smoked cigarettes, but our addicted minds will try to make that leap anyway.

This will pass Tammy.  You're doing great.

• Like 4

Tammy...I was where you are once...and I reminder a wise quitter wrote to me....

Doreen ,its OK ,if you have a wobble now and again..just make sure you don't fall over and stay down...

I still remember  those words ,almost five years on....your doing just fine....

• Like 3

Yes Tammy. What you're experiencing is totally normal and to be expected. I remember having like a fogginess in my brain for a while in the early part of my quit. It is all temporary and you will emerge from your quit cocoon as a beautiful, smoke-free butterfly ready to live the rest of your life in good health and with more $$ in your wallet :) Keep going girl!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With a bumpy start to November thought it might be best to give everyone some positives to think about... because its never smooth sailing 100% of the time, but what you do when the sea gets rough defines you... hang on my fellow quitters the rewards are worth the short term struggles... and they are short term, they pass, it gets easier and better...

keep-on-keepin-on.jpg

16d87aadd26d3f56c64db20be2971419.jpg

• Like 1

So this was part of a poem my Grandad learnt at school during the depression and was written in the back of his war diary....

If the day looks kinder gloomy,
An' your chances kinder slim!

If the situation's puzzlin'
An' the prospect's awful grim,

An' perplexities keep pressin'
Till all hope is nearly gone,

Jus' bristle up an' grit your teeth
An' keep on keepin' on.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...