Can't sleep, bloody brain keeps thinking about it

Tammy

I know i am not smoking, it's 1.30 am here, I have no smokes around neither is it possible to get any anyways at this hour (not as many 24/7 shops as one may think in Mumbai). 

But my brain is keeping me awake... 

My body is exhausted, it's been a long week at work and this afternoon I walked a lot to shrug off the cravings. 

Just need some tips on how to quieten my head and get some rest. 

I wish there was an off switch, it's tiring 

• Like 4

Tammy,

It is tough in the early days, especially late in the evening. It is little comfort, but many have struggled with insomnia in the early stages of their quits. First thing, do remember this is temporary.

Exercise is always a good start though it may be a little late in the day for that. Do you use meditation techniques at all, those can be very helpful? Other things that have tended to help me is either milky drinks or playing a lot of the games on here. Just focusing on something else which tires me mentally has been useful.

Hope you find some respite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tammy, unfortunately what you are going through is normal for where you are at in your quit. Just power through it, use an air cigarette if worse comes to worse. That's just getting a cut straw, pen or even just pretending you're holding a cigarette, then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked REALLY good for me and others at tricking our minds into thinking it was getting the real thing.

Unfortunately for the insomnia, you'll either need to go through it as it's only temporary or use a mild over the counter sleep aid temporarily to help you fall to sleep. I found using one nighttime Bayer a couple times a week was enough to allow me some sleep

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As Jillar said. It's part of the package unfortunately in the early days. Your brain is in turmoil because of quitting so it seems to go into hyper-activity mode, flip-flopping all over the place.. Sleep for any length of time while this is happening is tough. Try some deep breathing exercises before you lay yourself down - just to relax at least your body. If you are into Yoga or meditation then try that. I never tried sleep medication (other than the occasional whisky) so I can't comment on if that would help or not.

I remember the early days being very tiring too. I was so exhausted at the end of each day from fighting the addiction, I would just fall into bed and go to sleep almost immediately. The problem was, I didn't sleep for long. The sleep pattern interruption was difficult but I was able to get through it as it didn't last that long for me anyway. I was often pretty exhausted at work the next day for awhile though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The obsessive thoughts are damn near impossible to avoid during the early stages of a quit.  However, you are in total control of how you respond to those thoughts.  The turning point of my quit was when I quit fighting the thoughts.  They're just thoughts.  They come and go.  Let the thoughts happen, observe them for what they are and move on.  Every thought has as much or as little power as you give it.

As for calming the mind at night...deep breathing exercises are great.  Just focus on your breathing and nothing else.  I also found calming music and those relaxing sound videos on YouTube helpful at times.  I was particularly fond of the ones featuring the sounds of rain.

You're doing great Tammy.  Proceed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tammy,

You are in the thick and grimy bit of fighting nicotine addiction and all you can do is live through it.

Little comfort, I know.

Take walks, scream in the shower, dance around wildly.  Power through.

Begin to re-train your brain and replace smoky thoughts with anything else.

I would chant, 'Free Your Head' repeatedly and in a few languages replete with profanities.

This is temporary.  You have more power than you may realize.  You have the ability to change your thoughts, 

even if you are just faking it to make it through.  Visualize a flower, an ocean, changing clouds and replace smoky thoughts with some beauty.

You don't smoke anymore and that is a truly fine thing, Tammy.

Glad to see you posting !  Happy to have you as an important member of this community.

Hang in there, protect your quit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tammy....

I can only agree with all the good advice you have had in the above posts...

My sleep was messed up too..all I could do was listen when folks say it's temporary and will pass....

They were right...soon enough you will be sleeping alot better..

Your body is kinda confused just now..its had poisons put in it so many times a day...now it has to get used to life without it...

It's takes time..be patient..wonderful things are about to happen ..

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sslip said:

Tammy,

It is tough in the early days, especially late in the evening. It is little comfort, but many have struggled with insomnia in the early stages of their quits. First thing, do remember this is temporary.

Exercise is always a good start though it may be a little late in the day for that. Do you use meditation techniques at all, those can be very helpful? Other things that have tended to help me is either milky drinks or playing a lot of the games on here. Just focusing on something else which tires me mentally has been useful.

Hope you find some respite.

Hey @Sslip,  yes, couldn't fall asleep first and then a very disturbed sleep.

But got through the night, by giving myself no options whatsoever to get back to that filthy habit. I don't necessarily meditate, but did try some videos on youtube, and it helped quieten the mind, even though it was just a little bit.

Have thrown myself into household chores today, so my house is sparkling clean, just like I hope my lungs will be soon. Thank you for checking in :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jillar said:

Hi Tammy, unfortunately what you are going through is normal for where you are at in your quit. Just power through it, use an air cigarette if worse comes to worse. That's just getting a cut straw, pen or even just pretending you're holding a cigarette, then go through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked REALLY good for me and others at tricking our minds into thinking it was getting the real thing.

Unfortunately for the insomnia, you'll either need to go through it as it's only temporary or use a mild over the counter sleep aid temporarily to help you fall to sleep. I found using one nighttime Bayer a couple times a week was enough to allow me some sleep

@jillar well, not an air cigarette, but a nice coffee helped (I know it isn't supposed to do the same, but coffee and I have a very different kind of relationship ;) ) I did toss and turn, but held on to dear life (sorry making it sound so dramatic) and kept pushing the thought of even smoking. 

And like I mentioned earlier, I made sure I couldn't get one until I took the car out, drove a few miles into another suburb, and I hate driving, so that helped :)

Thanks for the note, was great reading and knowing I'm not necessarily blowing this out of proportion.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, reciprocity said:

As Jillar said. It's part of the package unfortunately in the early days. Your brain is in turmoil because of quitting so it seems to go into hyper-activity mode, flip-flopping all over the place.. Sleep for any length of time while this is happening is tough. Try some deep breathing exercises before you lay yourself down - just to relax at least your body. If you are into Yoga or meditation then try that. I never tried sleep medication (other than the occasional whisky) so I can't comment on if that would help or not.

I remember the early days being very tiring too. I was so exhausted at the end of each day from fighting the addiction, I would just fall into bed and go to sleep almost immediately. The problem was, I didn't sleep for long. The sleep pattern interruption was difficult but I was able to get through it as it didn't last that long for me anyway. I was often pretty exhausted at work the next day for awhile though.

Whiskey is what I love to, however last night it was my first love caffeine that helped @reciprocity , and you hit the nail on the head, coz you are tired with training your brain all day and you just want it to stop rumbling for a while, but that's exactly when it kinda turns the dial up to maximum.

Work for me has been super stressful last couple of weeks, extra hours and what not, I did choose to quit during a tough period, but then it would never be a perfect time, would it?

Thanks for your message, it makes all the difference in the world when you know someone's keeping you in their thoughts, and believe in your cause. Kudos!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boo said:

The obsessive thoughts are damn near impossible to avoid during the early stages of a quit.  However, you are in total control of how you respond to those thoughts.  The turning point of my quit was when I quit fighting the thoughts.  They're just thoughts.  They come and go.  Let the thoughts happen, observe them for what they are and move on.  Every thought has as much or as little power as you give it.

As for calming the mind at night...deep breathing exercises are great.  Just focus on your breathing and nothing else.  I also found calming music and those relaxing sound videos on YouTube helpful at times.  I was particularly fond of the ones featuring the sounds of rain.

You're doing great Tammy.  Proceed.

@Boo yes!!! I love the sound of water and rain. Well, rain I don't need to listen to videos, raining like crazy in my city, and everything is turning a fresh shade of green. It's as if Mother Nature is just showing me how good it is to turn the proverbial new leaf...the air is cleaner and fresher...everything pointing to the fact that since I am not harassing my lungs with that toxic fume, I can experience all this so much better :)

Thank you for the lovely note.

Particularly for "Every thought has as much or as little power as you give it." If that's not a mic drop moment, I don't know what is !!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Hello Tammy,

You are in the thick and grimy bit of fighting nicotine addiction and all you can do is live through it.

Little comfort, I know.

Take walks, scream in the shower, dance around wildly.  Power through.

Begin to re-train your brain and replace smoky thoughts with anything else.

I would chant, 'Free Your Head' repeatedly and in a few languages replete with profanities.

This is temporary.  You have more power than you may realize.  You have the ability to change your thoughts, 

even if you are just faking it to make it through.  Visualize a flower, an ocean, changing clouds and replace smoky thoughts with some beauty.

You don't smoke anymore and that is a truly fine thing, Tammy.

Glad to see you posting !  Happy to have you as an important member of this community.

Hang in there, protect your quit.

I would dance around wildly, because I got eight left feet (yeah I look like a drunken centipede when I dance) but yes @Sazerac I know what you mean.

Have to re-train my brain, to be a better version of myself. And the change that takes time, is the change that sticks. So me going through all this is just as helpful to make me realize that my body is breaking through certain cycles I trained it to expect, so it's on me...and I have to "woman up" to stick it through. And I will.

Thanks for the lovely words, I feel the grit and gumption comin on already !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Hi Tammy....

I can only agree with all the good advice you have had in the above posts...

My sleep was messed up too..all I could do was listen when folks say it's temporary and will pass....

They were right...soon enough you will be sleeping alot better..

Your body is kinda confused just now..its had poisons put in it so many times a day...now it has to get used to life without it...

It's takes time..be patient..wonderful things are about to happen ..

Yes @Doreensfree wonderful things are about to happen...and I'm sticking to the ride, even though it's a little bumpy right now. But then if it was smooth sailing, I wouldn't appreciate it as much would I now?

I haven't given my brain anytime to think today, and it's helped, because I haven't thought of smoking. I have a nagging feeling of being a little blank (not sure if you know what I mean) but I'm just jumpstarting my brain every now and then.

Cleaning my house, watering the plants, just sitting by my window (the view is nice) and just trying to envision myself healthier. I also need to start a fitness regimen real soon. J

It's a beautiful day again, Mother Nature has been kind...so I will go for my walk or better yet, go near the shore, and just sit and watch the waves...

Happy Sunday to you and everyone on here too :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All the nicotine has now gone from your body....yaaaa....

It's just you and your brain now.....you can do it ..

Maybe a little treat... Just to celebrate being free ..it doesn't matter what....as long as it's a treat to you ....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

All the nicotine has now gone from your body....yaaaa....

It's just you and your brain now.....you can do it ..

Maybe a little treat... Just to celebrate being free ..it doesn't matter what....as long as it's a treat to you ....

I made pasta for myself as dinner :)

and made cinnamon pull apart bread to take to work tomorrow...cinnamon is what heaven must smell like !!!

• Like 3

You are doing great, Tammy.

Everyone here has been through those early days and yes, they can be tough.  But, it is very doable.

You are re-learning how to live life without those nasty cancer sticks.  It is a big adjustment but it does get better.  You are doing a truly great thing.  Keep up the awesome work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tammy said:

I made pasta for myself as dinner :)

and made cinnamon pull apart bread to take to work tomorrow...cinnamon is what heaven must smell like !!!

O.M G....I can smell it from here...I love that smell....yum !!!!

• Like 1