Another stab at the Devil!!!

Tammy

Hi Everyone,

This is Tammy from Mumbai, India.

This will be my third attempt to quit. The longest I had quit and stayed quit was 3 months around a year ago.

Since then been on and off, though my number of smokes reduced significantly.

Just before deciding to kick the stick yesterday i.e. 20th Jun 2018, I was having maybe 3-4 a day. Yes I know, nothing to gloat about.

So this time around I am intending to stick to this, and hoping this forum will help me stay focused.

Good luck to everyone on their quit journey.

• Like 12

Hi Tammy and welcome on board the quit train. 

Given your history you obviously know it is possible to quit for a considerable period, so that's a good start. I also see your post in the nope thread, that's a smart move and one I'd like to encourage at the start of every day. 

Settle in, read a lot and get active on the board. Look forward to seeing you around. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Tammy. (officially).

I'm on my third official quit too. It doesn't matter if you smoke one a day or 30 a day you are still an addict, you still need to do the detox, and the cravings and the habit breaking. You know you can stick this out because you have in the past but this time lets make it your forever, sticky quit.

Like Sslip said, NOPE every day, it really does help to publicly make that commitment that you wont smoke. I would suggest posting your own SOS in advance, I tend to update mine every month or so as I get to the next stage in my quit. So make sure you have some healthy snacks around as you need to keep you blood sugar up as this helps. There are some great little videos to watch. They are not very long and are a good way to wait out a crave.

You can do this, we'll have your back if you need but you can give yourself the gift of Not One Puff Ever (again).

• Like 8

Hi Tammy and welcome to the quit train.  You've made a great decision joining this forum.  We are all in the same boat so understand what you are going through, which helps a lot.  You have managed a thee month quit before, that is good going.  Lets make this one your forever quit.  Nope every day and read a lot and you will be fine.  I read incessantly in the beginning and that kept me busy and educated me.  I read all through the forum and any articles i could find about quitting and the benefits of quitting. That helped me no end.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Sslip@notsmokinjo , @weegiewoman Messages like these help, because yes I have quit before, and fallen before, but I got to a point where I realized that the only one I'm fooling is myself, by saying since I have reduced, I have control over the habit. It is the other way around.

Winding up my day at work, it's taking everything I have not to have the perfunctory end of day smoke and tea in the restaurant downstairs. I did just go down for a walk, because that helps, but found that I really wanted to go there, then thought I'd come up and check if there are any other posts I can read...and here I am.

So yes, one craving at a time...I intend to succeed this time around. And with your support, I'm sure I shall.

• Like 9

Hi Tammy and welcome to this forum. Congratulations on your decision to quit.

Reading all that I could about quitting was a huge aid for me as well. This site can

provide a lot of that information. It can also provide a lot of distraction from  moment

to moment struggles that can come with your quit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Tammy....

You are amongst friends friends here ,who will support you all the way along your journey go freedom...take a window seat and buckle up for the most wonderful trip of your life.

On the main board Quit Smoking Discussions ( pinned with a green squares )you will find heaps of information ...and many great videos, that will help you along.

Knowledge..this will be your weapon...outsmarting the beast..

It's doable... You just need to want to be free bad enough..I was a 52 year smoker...

Being a non smoker is the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself..I can only tell you that...you have to feel it for yourself..

We will help you..looking forward to getting to know you better..and maybe have a laugh along the way..quitting can be fun..!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Tammy, so great to see you here ? stay close and post often, especially when you are feeling the craves or unsure! Quitting as you know takes over our thoughts at times, so its great to come here and chat, play the games, nope and read, it really helps a lot.

Stay determined and strong :91_thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TKS said:

Hi Everyone,

This is Tammy from Mumbai, India.

This will be my third attempt to quit. The longest I had quit and stayed quit was 3 months around a year ago.

Since then been on and off, though my number of smokes reduced significantly.

Just before deciding to kick the stick yesterday i.e. 20th Jun 2018, I was having maybe 3-4 a day. Yes I know, nothing to gloat about.

So this time around I am intending to stick to this, and hoping this forum will help me stay focused.

Good luck to everyone on their quit journey.

Hello Tammy from Mumbai !

Welcome !

This thread may be of help to you

10 Ways to Effectively Use This Forum

You have made one of the best decisions of your life by quitting smoking and putting your nicotine addiction to sleep.

We are here to help you in any way we can so please post a lot and let us get to know you.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to QuitTrain, Tammy.  Congrats on quitting smoking.

Stick close to this site.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain here that can help you keep the quit for good. 

It is nice to have you here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I'm late to welcome you aboard the Quit Train Tammy :)

Others have given good advice so I will try not to repeat. Think about your previous attempts and why you relapsed those times so you can identify the same situation should it arise again this time. You will be better able to fight something if you have already thought about it in advance. As others indicated, read everything you can here. Education about this addiction is what will help you the most. Understand why you smoke and how it really doesn't benefit you in the way you may think. In fact, quit the opposite.

NOPE is where it's at for sure! Not One Puff Ever ............. as simple as that (not easy but, simple)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard TKS.  Congratulations on choosing freedom from cigarettes.

10 hours ago, TKS said:

This will be my third attempt to quit.

Let's change that to: this is my final and forever quit.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WeegieWoman said:

How are you getting on today? You are i think around five hours ahead of us so well into your day, its just 8am here in Scotland. 

Hey WW (hope it's ok if I call you that),

It's 1.45 PM here in Mumbai so yeah around 5.30 hours ahead I suppose.

I'm having a bad craving right now, but staying stuck to my seat...just trying not to think about it.

Thanks for checking in :) 

Hi Tammy...

Your stronger than any crave..its just a thought...let it pass....

Spend time here reading..look at the non smoking cats and dogs..they always give you a smile..and will spend some minutes away from the crave...

Don't forget to do some deep breathing...fill your lungs with all that fresh air...stay close !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Doreensfree said:

Hi Tammy...

Your stronger than any crave..its just a thought...let it pass....

Spend time here reading..look at the non smoking cats and dogs..they always give you a smile..and will spend some minutes away from the crave...

Don't forget to do some deep breathing...fill your lungs with all that fresh air...stay close !!!

Hi Doreen,

Yes, I am not going to give in, I'm crystal clear about that, I have dogs outside my office building (real ones, though they are stray) who I feed and play with.

So will go and goof around with them, but in ten minutes.

The craving has passed, almost and another thing I realized is the difference between cravings and hunger.

If you are hungry and you don't eat, you feel hungrier, but if you have a craving, and don't give in, the craving lessens in intensity, till it's nothing but just a moment that passed by.

which also leads me to another thought that the body knows what's essential (food) and can see through the mind's ways of fooling it, and realizing what is not important (craving for nicotine). Sorry, random thoughts but just typing them out helped.

Thanks a lot for the message again, really helps.

I'm reading up on a lot of stuff on the forums too, very very helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great attitude Tammy...keep that frame of mind..and youv,e got this....

Reading all the old posts here too.are so helpful....

Spending time with furry friends...what could be better..

Well done.!!!!....your doing just fine !!!!.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TKS said:

Hi Doreen,

Yes, I am not going to give in, I'm crystal clear about that, I have dogs outside my office building (real ones, though they are stray) who I feed and play with.

So will go and goof around with them, but in ten minutes.

The craving has passed, almost and another thing I realized is the difference between cravings and hunger.

If you are hungry and you don't eat, you feel hungrier, but if you have a craving, and don't give in, the craving lessens in intensity, till it's nothing but just a moment that passed by.

which also leads me to another thought that the body knows what's essential (food) and can see through the mind's ways of fooling it, and realizing what is not important (craving for nicotine). Sorry, random thoughts but just typing them out helped.

Thanks a lot for the message again, really helps.

I'm reading up on a lot of stuff on the forums too, very very helpful.

Great you are reading a lot, Tammy.  Education about our nicotine addiction is our most powerful tool in a successful quit.

You may find this thread helpful, Riffing on H.A.L.T.  It helps to distinguish our smoky thoughts from actual needs our bodies have.

Thank you for your posts.  They will help other people in fighting this addiction.  Your experience is invaluable.

Stay strong, Tammy.  You have a fine quit started, protect it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

Great you are reading a lot, Tammy.  Education about our nicotine addiction is our most powerful tool in a successful quit.

You may find this thread helpful, Riffing on H.A.L.T.  It helps to distinguish our smoky thoughts from actual needs our bodies have.

Thank you for your posts.  They will help other people in fighting this addiction.  Your experience is invaluable.

Stay strong, Tammy.  You have a fine quit started, protect it.

@Sazerac this site is amazing. It's wonderful to see everyone pitching in and helping, responding to my posts, even though I've been a member just 2 days...this helps a lot, knowing that you're not necessarily on your own. The physical aspect, yes one has to go through on their own, because it's one's own body that is going through the changes, but the support that is given here really takes a load off mentally.

I will keep reading, and certainly will read the thread you've mentioned. 

Congrats on almost 5 years smoke free.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

^^ So True...when you first quit there are so many emotions and experiences and random thoughts and by putting them out here someone, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month of next year will be lurking or just quit and read it and think, hey I'm not the only one, someone walked this road before me and they succeeded... I can do this too.

Just getting it out there does help... get it all out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, notsmokinjo said:

^^ So True...when you first quit there are so many emotions and experiences and random thoughts and by putting them out here someone, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month of next year will be lurking or just quit and read it and think, hey I'm not the only one, someone walked this road before me and they succeeded... I can do this too.

Just getting it out there does help... get it all out.

Wow, just wow,  I doff my virtual hat to you @notsmokinjo and everyone else. What dedication this must take, you guys giving so much time and effort to help fools like me realize why it's good to stay quit. 

The least I can do is respect the life I've been given, and also if by virtue of being on here, I can help someone else, even if it's 1% I think that's just the macadamia nut on top (cherry is too simple for what I feel right now) :) 

You all have my gratitude and thanks. 

and yes NOPE is what I keep mentally repeating to myself. 

• Like 5