There's No Place Like Home...

notsmokinjo

Those iconic buildings or sights that when ever you see them make you think ... ahh I'm home and give ya the warm fuzzies...

The times always right, the temps there too and it means ya goin to The G...

8d2a2dbd9d76575bb6a62bca5505793c?width=1

The G... there's no venue in the world like it... Boxing Day at the Cricket, during an Ashes year... 95,000 plus .....

4324647443_25c2d71e11.jpg

and the clocks at Flinder's street... your not a Melbournian if you never met anyone here:

flinders-street-station.jpg?itok=XJ6kFY7

• Like 4

So I'm about  35km from the city of Melbourne.... about 21.5miles.... this are the cliffs on our river... about a 5-10min drive from my house depending on the time of day...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTI12i_xHH_scMO9S1eJLg

This is our beach, its a shit beach... you only go there in the middle of the night to hook up, or light up... or ya go there on those nights where its still 30deg C at midnight, and half of wezza is there with there headlights on to light the beach and ya doing anything to get cool....

jd+bellin+2.jpg

• Like 4

This is the beach I grew up with as a little tacker... I could get there in 10mins on the bmx and we'd stay there all day..

middle_park(1).JPG

no real waves as its in the bay....

Here is where I would go, most often, to surf....

Jan Juc... just around the bend from Bells... not as big, not as clean, but love it.... this is about an 1hrs drive from me.... although back in the day, with trains and busses (and maybe hitch hiking .... but don't do that kids its not safe)...it was about a 4 hour trip... it was ok though you'd usually find a couch to surf satdee night and then head home sundee arvo.

imageSrc.adapt.687.HIGH.jpg

2977709936_f2d3beb08b.jpg

• Like 4

^^^ Some cool beaches you have there Jo.

Moving into London and buildings I used to walk past on a daily basis for around 25 years The Bank of England and Royal Exchange buildings are both pretty spectacular.

bank-of-england-virtual-tour1.jpg?resize=870,402&ssl=1  royal-exchange-bank-england-square-underground-station-london-uk-june-45890330.jpg

Edited by Sslip
  • Like 3

Last one for tonight. A walk along the south bank of the Thames is pretty cool.

With the houses of parliament in the background.

1155x510-Southbank-and-Southwark.jpg

And probably about half a mile along looking in the other direction Blackfriars Bridge with St Paul's Cathedral in the background.

2fe4fccf889d95d52b73cee7b3a7b321-the-south-bank.jpg?sharp=10&vib=20&w=1200

• Like 4

Well I said last one, but sometimes I forget how lucky we are living close by to London. The south bank again probably about another half mile to a mile east of the St Paul's photo. This is Tower Bridge with the Tower of London in the background.

Tower-Bridge-and-Tower-of-London-3.jpg

• Like 4

What a great thread !!!!

I'm lovin all the pic,s ....

I'm lucky enough to have been to some of these places....fabulous...

Jo been to st kilda beach..and have to mention the Great Ocean Road was a must do for us.spectacular....

Love London !!!

Do we have anymore offers folks !????

• Like 3

My primary school was 2 blocks from the beach... on hot days we'd go to the beach after school and dive off the pier in our uniforms... we always called the side jetty we dived off Sharkies... then in highschool we had to do a project about where we were born so in the research i found out there was an annual diving comp off the end of the peir and one year as the guy dived in a white pointer took him and bit him in half and the locals dubbed it Sharkies..... 5th generation in the same house and noone thought to tell us that.

Moved our to Wezza as a teenager... no more ridin me pushy into town.

• Like 3

Okay so this is a way back photo. I grew up a 5 minute walk from the Lido (or a 90 second run for a young kid). Summers, for the princely sum on 10 pence, were mostly spent down the pool.

PCD_1546.jpg  barnehurst-the-swimming-pool-martens-grove-c1965_b667051.jpg 

55d35f520977274176a8191e4259a3de.jpg  4980105797_b455e510c2_b.jpg

Sad to say this is the same place today.

dsc00569.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Sslip at least its a park and not a carpark.

@Doreensfree so you've done the rounds of Melbourne .... if you had to compare it to somewhere in The UK ... ie a city or town or wotsit... what would we be... we have already worked out that New Zealand is Whales due to their shared appreciation of sheep.... and that Tasmania = Norfolk due to the "in breeding" ..... but we need to place Melbourne... Canberra is nothing like London so even though its our capital its out.... there was the suggestion that Melbourne could be London... but I think Sydney might want that crown.... so as a non-local what is your opinion... if Melbourne was somewhere in the UK where would it be.... (maybe we can be Glasgow and then the Wee's will have to give me honorary wee status).

• Like 2