New to this

zenith

Hello, I was smoking a pack a day and quit cold turkey 18 days ago. I also quit drinking soda and cut down on sugar in an attempt to prevent gaining weight. So far it's worked. Next I will need to join a gym and start exercising regularly. I'm loving the feeling of "freedom" but can't say I've been especially balanced emotionally. There always seems to be a some amount of frustration brewing right beneath the surface, I'm more quick to anger or tears. I know there is a lot more to this than just breaking the physical addiction to nicotine, and I'm probably in for a long road. So just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully join in on some discussions. 

• Like 10

Hi Zenith. 18 days cold turkey is fantastic. Well done on making the decision to quit. Its the best gift you will ever give yourself. The two biggest tips I can give you are take it one day at a time and read, read, read. Get as much knowledge as you can. There is a great group here and always someone who knows where your coming from because they have been there too. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

• Like 3

Hi Zenith...

So glad you found us ,and congratulations on your great quit..and to take your life back...

There is tons of good stuff to read on the main page...they are pinned with a green squares..watch all joels video,s.

Knowledge...this is the way to fight the beast..outsmart it...

We have a daily NOPE pledge too...it's a promise to yourself ,you will not smoke that day...the days soon mount up..

Looking forward to getting to know you better...your amongst friends...we are a friendly bunch...who like a laugh along the way...

• Like 3

Hi Zenith,

Huge congratulations on your quit to date, that's a brilliant start, seriously impressive getting through that on your own.

It is inevitable there will be ups and downs along the way, so I echo what's been said around reading and educating. We are a friendly bunch and it will be great to have you join in.

Just a couple of things, I echo what Doreen said about Nope, it has helped me through a number of tough days. It is a commitment to not have a puff for the next 24 hours. Do that and repeat, it will look after you. The other thing is be really kind to yourself. Treat yourself at the milestones, doesn't have to be big, just something you do for yourself that you may not have done when smoking. Be forgiving of yourself as well, you'll have ups and downs but don't judge yourself on the irritable moments, you are doing the best thing for you, loved ones and friends.

Look forward to seeing you around.

• Like 2

Welcome and congratulations on quitting smoking, Zenith !

Take a look at this thread about ways this site can help you putting your addiction to rest.

10 ways to use this forum

and don't worry about weight issues right now.

Our bodies gain a little just in fighting the addiction, this is normal and can be addressed later.

You are fighting a life threatening addiction and this should take precedence over anything else.

Remember to be kind to yourself and have some fun, freedom is delicious.

• Like 2

Zenith welcome aboard for this great journey -- as those above said make sure to read and educate yourself.  Also pledging "NOPE" everyday really does help and coming here to reach out to others when you need help or want to have some zany fun

• Like 2

Hi zenith, congratulations on 18 days quit already, that's great! The emotional thing is totally normal. Some of us cry others get easily angered. It's only temporary and will one day just be gone. I still remember the morning I woke up in the best mood I had been in in years :)

There's lots to do here to keep your mind off your misery so check everything out. And be sure to SOS if you feel yourself caving to a crave. Many quits have been saved this way, including mine. We will do our best to help you through it. 

Lastly, maybe think about getting yourself a ticker for your signature? It's a great way to watch the time, money and cigs not smoked add up. And will also show you what you have to lose by relapsing. 

• Like 2

Welcome to QuitTrain, Zenith.  Congratulations on 18 days smoke free.  While quitting smoking can be challenging, it is very doable and is one of the best things  you can possibly do.

Stick around this site.  Read and participate often.  The knowledge and support you can get here can really help you quit for good.

• Like 1

Thank you all the replies.. I quit drinking (alcohol) 8 months ago so I'm familiar with the "beast" concept as it's used in alcohol addiction as well. I also understand quitting means locking the door completely, there can be no ambivalence or "maybe just one" mentality. A big part of getting sober is changing your habits and lifestyle, but smoking has  partially prevented me from doing those things. I've smoked for 5 years, thought it would just be a fleeting "phase" but it's now become very entrenched. So I'm determined to stick with this quit no matter what! I appreciate the comments and look forward to exploring more of this forum. 

• Like 5

Hi Zenith and welcome to our family of quitters :)

The frustration and that sense of anger bubbling just under the surface is completely normal as a symptom of your early quit. It may hang around for a while but will eventually ease as you learn how to cope day to day without relying on going for a smoke every hour or so .

Until then, just try not to, well .............

29aw9x2.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Zenith.  Congratulations on making a great choice.

Feelings of frustration.  Mood swings.  Both quite normal during the early part of the process.  The rough bits of the quit experienced during the early days are temporary and fleeting.  The freedom and sense of satisfaction gained by quitting successfully are permanent.

You've made the right choice and committed to it.  There's no going back now.

• Like 3