A Journey of a Thousand Miles

jillar

Begins with a single step. I took that single step May 29, 2016. The thing is I knew way before that day that I needed to quit smoking. Heck my doctor had told me I had 10-12 years left to live if I didn't quit just a month prior. He was my replacement doctor for my doctor who had moved on to other things and I instantly didn't like him. He was so mean but also so honest, I knew I needed to quit. My breathing was suffering. I was wheezing and the phlegmy cough, yuck. But then the addict in me would say it's all good, my dad's side die in their early 60's so that too will be my fate. I'm ok with that, after all there's a lot of people up there I'm eager to see. So what made me quit that Sunday May 29, 2016?

A few things really. My poor hubby just hated the phlegmy cough and the wheezing. I also was mad at my Dr. for claiming my demise when in fact he had no way of knowing. So I quit.

But I didn't tell anyone, with the exception of telling my hubby at about the 28 hour mark. I figured as long as I didn't tell anyone I wouldn't let anyone down. I had no plan, no procedures in place, nothing. The first couple of days weren't as bad as I thought. By day 3 though my body was jonesing for its fix. My tongue was sore so I Googled it which led me to my future message board. The next symptom for me was bleeding gums then insomnia. As each of these happened Google led me to the same board of people who had experienced the same things I had. So knowing that I wasn't that special snowflake eased my mind immensely. 

But then something else happened. As I began to read the replies to the various posts I was reading I found that I wasn't dwelling on my quit. I was getting a reprieve from the 24/7 thoughts of smoking.

So I read. Discussions, celebrations, socializing. I read it all and was glued to the board I had found yet remained a lurker there. Then one day a member posted an SOS and I got to watch everyone rally to help this member through.

I registered right then and there and an old pharte named Bassman was the first to welcome me and friend me. I wasn't alone in my fight anymore......

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

And thank heaven you quit, I think it may have had a bit of fate mixed in there. I think fate lead you to that smoking forum where you have been a big part of many quits.

I have never read a thread that you haven't responded to - and have done so with kindness & compassion & encouragement.

You are a special gift to us all.

There are many special people here with a passion to help others in there quit, but you are a stand-out for sure.

Love ya!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Beazel you always make me cry from the nice things you say. I agree it must have been fate. And those of us who have traveled this journey have a special bond that no one and no distance can ever take away from us. I love you too my friend :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 8

You are my Bassman @jillar,  the very first one to reach out and acknowledge my existence and quit. @beazel was hot on your heels at number 2. You reached out to me via pm in the early days when I had gone quite and that pm asking if had a good christmas and if I was ok as i'd been awol... that pm came in as I sat there twirling a smoke in one hand and spinning a lighter on my desk with the other... it was a really dark time for me and then this light shone into the cracks and and all it took was an oh we missed you, did you have a good holidays, how are you going and I crushed that smoke and replied. You never new that until now... but that is how important you are to the newbies coming behind you... When I grow up I wanna be you... I want to give back the way you do... I wanna pay forward the kindness, and care, and support just the way you have. Thanks for making this journey so much easier for me than it could have been. At a time where everything was falling apart around me (nothing has really changed.. hahaha) ... you made me laugh, you cared about a complete stranger on the other side of the world, and you were my buffer form some of the negative aspects that were going on at the same time.

@beazel your not getting off that easy either you kept my craves at bay with the games... I don't think you realise how big that was to not just me... knowing someone would push the games along, give you something to focus on besides wanting a smoke. I was bloody blessed goggle sent me to the over there and you and Jill had decided to quit before me... truely blessed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@notsmokinjo, you too have brought me to tears now. I'm honored to be your bassman and I know you ARE already someone else's bassman. I'm so glad I could be there for you and everyone else who needed a hand. But please remember that I too need you guys :) I've said many a time that no one knows better than we do, what we're going through and  that's what makes these boards work. I love you my partner in crime ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jillar the Pillar! You have helped so many along the way.  You’re paying it forward something fierce!   I’m glad we had the writings of Bassman & Mike Piano in our early days. Now, you’ll offer the same to the next generation(s) of quitters. Sounds like a posse’ is forming...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The power of a forum...folks who you will never probally meet...are with you and support and actually care about you ,and all the folks you meet along your journey to freedom

We make friends that will stay with us forever..in our hearts.!!!

This was the difference is this quit ..to all the other of my failed attempts... That and being told quit or else...

So glad you found  the support you needed jillar....and even more glad you are a inspiration to all that follow...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2