World Cup Football !!!

Doreensfree

So, I gather England is into the final 4 now?

What's their odds now I wonder?

Not even sure who they play next but, given that all the favs are out pretty much .... I figure it's anybody's for the taking now!

OK but it seems to me, from what I have learned about this whole footie thing recently, that this particular tournament has more often than not seem the favourites go down to defeat so that could bode well for who ever wins the England match up?

8 hours ago, reciprocity said:

What's their odds now I wonder?

3:1 wouldn't you say? ..... :D ... France & Belgium both still in and they were faves from the start. Croatia next play England.

So there is a 50/50 chance that country who has never won the cup could win it. Only 8 countries have ever won, of the 4 we have left thats England and France are in the club of 8. Hey if it was a France v England final where would Canadian loyalties fall? Just curious cos we don't really learn the whole Canadian history thing here in Aus. but there is the whole speaking french in Quebec thing (see ignorant).

So I will be eating borek (just need to slightly tweak my turkish recipe) during the Croatia game...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

So there is a 50/50 chance that country who has never won the cup could win it.

So, you're saying Canada could still win this thing?  I mean, we have technically "'never won the cup".

Oh wait ....... that should have read; technically, we have never PLAYED in the cup!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Have you tried to play in the cup? And don't blame the snow, Iceland made it.

Soccer (or football) is relatively new here in terms of professional sports. Canada has a men's team but they have never made whatever qualification standards there are. As the sport progresses, perhaps they will qualify one day? I expect they have their sights set on the next World Cup which will be played in North America. Most of the critical games will be played in the USA but there will be a couple of early round games played in both Mexico and Canada. 1st time ever for that :)

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1

Well the Comm games showed that your netball team and your swim team are both on the rise... your swim team is actually really young and you pushed us heaps, especially in the relays which is a great sign because it shows depth... Lots of good signs for Canada in the pool.

• Like 1

I think the Canadian Swim Teams did pretty well last summer Olympics as well so yes, up and coming I expect.

The soccer scene here has been increasing a lot in the past 4 or 5 years too. Passionate fans and the fan base is growing all the time. Not surprising given the immigration to Canada over past decades. Footie is hugely popular everywhere other than Canada and USA and now, that seems to be changing. Perhaps that's why they awarded the games to North America recently? Grow the base by putting on the "big show" right in front of the market that is ripe for massive growth?