Dusting Off My Cowboy Boots

beazel

Some people go about life as usual when they quit because that is what works best for them.

For my quit there was a lot of avoidance - I avoid situations or people or anything else that worried me.

My husband and I play music at nursing homes, we play really old country music from the 30's 40's & 50's.

(Ok, not my style of music, but the residents love it!!!)

When I decided to quit smoking I told my husband I wanted to put playing out on the back burner for at least a year.

He would do anything to help my quit, so he was on board and supportive of my decision.

Well March rolled around this year & after a huge ship party, I got to thinking I needed to book some shows.

I continued to drag my feet for a couple more months, but finally kicked myself in the butt and got out the schedule planner.

We did a program last Saturday and it was great - we had a wonderful group of folks, they sang along to every song - it was a blast!

I felt normal.

I'm getting there.

I just needed to share...thanks.

KTQ

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

That is so cool.... cos I'm a music girl, what do you play, what does hubby play, do you sing too..... that is an awesome way to give back and sounds like so much fun. So @beazel you sly devil with the hidden talents, you say its not your sort of music... what is your sort of music??

My little one goes to one of our nursing homes once a week and has a little old lady read to her... but really they just gossip about all the other little old ladies and gents and listen to dean martin and frank sinatra cds and the kid smuggles her mills and boons book.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:56 AM, beazel said:

I felt normal.

I'm getting there

Great post Beazel. To read that you finally felt normal is so wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, notsmokinjo said:

That is so cool.... cos I'm a music girl, what do you play, what does hubby play, do you sing too..... that is an awesome way to give back and sounds like so much fun. So @beazel you sly devil with the hidden talents, you say its not your sort of music... what is your sort of music??

My little one goes to one of our nursing homes once a week and has a little old lady read to her... but really they just gossip about all the other little old ladies and gents and listen to dean martin and frank sinatra cds and the kid smuggles her mills and boons book.

We both play guitar & he does the singing.

I guess I say that because I am not a big fan of country music, don't hate it, but you would never catch me with a country radio station on or CD in my car.

That being said the oldies we play are starting to grow on me. Lol

I'm a Rock chick, for sure - but I like Blues & Rockabilly, too.

My husband watches scads of music shows so I appreciate all sorts of music & musicians.

I love that your daughter has a resident that she shares her time with, I'll bet they have a fantastic time together! They will hold each other in theirs hearts forever.

• Like 4

You are both doing great work (Beazel & Jo's kid). Our seniors gave us so much and worked hard though tough times all their life to make our lives better. Now they need just a little happiness in their lives and you are both providing that. Good stuff!

• Like 3