hallucinations make it hard to function, and thus hard to quit

Last month when I tried quitting, I had near-constant "hallucinations" that made it hard to function. I only managed t make it five days. The hallucinations went away qhen I started smoking again. This time, the hallucinations are back, but they aren't constant. They lasted about 5-6 hours yesterday morning. I haven't had any today. I have only had these particular hallucinations while trying to quit smoking. It is a tactile hallucination, where there is a feeling of "bad" energy, wrapping around my gut and heart. It is sometimes even painful it is so intense. I would like to think this is just an anxiety reaction, but it feels more like my will is being tested. 

I try to do normal things during these episodes, but soemtimes all I can do is just lay there in bed. I can't do that though, because I have a family to take care of. 

• Like 1

It sounds to me like anxiety Christine. See your dr. He can give you something for it even if it's just temporary to get you past the first couple of few months. Anxiety is totally normal when we first quit and there's no shame in asking your dr for some help past this hump.

Congrats on 2 days quit, hang in there I promise it will get better.....

• Like 2

I tend to agree with Jillar that it sounds like anxiety, however in my case my smoking was hiding the fact I had a thyroid issue as the nicotine was treating the anxiety associated with my thyroid condition. I used NRT gum in the early days of my quit which still helped hide the symptoms but once I stopped that it went into over drive. It is worth going to your doctor and asking for some blood tests and check your thyroid levels.

Before the diagnosis though the way I was dealing with the anxiety, which can be physically crippling was a breathing technique.... I would take a breath, usually drawing on an imaginary smoke (my pen, a straw) and hold for a 3 count then slowly breath out over the next 3 count. Beath in over 3, hold 3 , out over 3.... I would do this for about 2 minutes and just concentrate on the breathing while I did it.

Thanks for posting about this. It is so scary when it happens and you are so not the only one. It gets better further into the quit... its partly the nicotine receptors trying to get you to feed the addiction in most cases. But if you think its more do go to your doctor.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, christine 12 said:

Jilllar, my phychiatrist worn't give me anything for anxiety. 

did you tell your psychiatrist you were quitting smoking? You may also want to check with your general medical dr like jo said to rule out underlying conditions. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

I tend to agree with Jillar that it sounds like anxiety, however in my case my smoking was hiding the fact I had a thyroid issue as the nicotine was treating the anxiety associated with my thyroid condition. I used NRT gum in the early days of my quit which still helped hide the symptoms but once I stopped that it went into over drive. It is worth going to your doctor and asking for some blood tests and check your thyroid levels.

Before the diagnosis though the way I was dealing with the anxiety, which can be physically crippling was a breathing technique.... I would take a breath, usually drawing on an imaginary smoke (my pen, a straw) and hold for a 3 count then slowly breath out over the next 3 count. Beath in over 3, hold 3 , out over 3.... I would do this for about 2 minutes and just concentrate on the breathing while I did it.

Thanks for posting about this. It is so scary when it happens and you are so not the only one. It gets better further into the quit... its partly the nicotine receptors trying to get you to feed the addiction in most cases. But if you think its more do go to your doctor.

Thanks, but I've had my thyroid checked and no problems. I think this is purely a psychiatric issue

13 minutes ago, jillar said:

did you tell your psychiatrist you were quitting smoking? You may also want to check with your general medical dr like jo said to rule out underlying conditions. 

Yes, he knows I'm quitting. The only thing he will give me for anxiety is zoloft,and I refuse to take it. 

@christine 12 my hubby tried Zoloft years ago and didn't like it either so can't blame you for not wanting to take it. There are so many other meds now for anxiety that I'm surprised he's not willing to try something else. 

At any rate, what you are feeling is only temporary and unfortunately the only way past it is through. You can do it even without meds, just deep breath, come here and talk about it or read, play games, celebrate milestones. Anything to keep your mind occupied so you don't dwell on it. 

A lot of times just overthinking what we are experiencing makes it 100 times worse than if we just go with it and know it's only temporary. I just kept telling myself, this too shall pass, this too shall pass.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jillar said:

@christine 12 my hubby tried Zoloft years ago and didn't like it either so can't blame you for not wanting to take it. There are so many other meds now for anxiety that I'm surprised he's not willing to try something else. 

At any rate, what you are feeling is only temporary and unfortunately the only way past it is through. You can do it even without meds, just deep breath, come here and talk about it or read, play games, celebrate milestones. Anything to keep your mind occupied so you don't dwell on it. 

A lot of times just overthinking what we are experiencing makes it 100 times worse than if we just go with it and know it's only temporary. I just kept telling myself, this too shall pass, this too shall pass.

Yeah, I'm just going to push through it.

• Like 1

Hi christine, i am an anxiety sufferer but its just my normal. What you are describing does sound like anxiety. Which i believe is a symptom of quitting. So if you cant deal with it....seek help from a doctor. 

You talk about a bad energy. First thing id do is exercise to get some good positive energy happening? Dont sit and freak yourself out; do something. Is that possible? Exercise is the best thing ever. Or spend time with family or friends. Or chat with us. Ie keep busy and try be positive

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, WeegieWoman said:

Hi christine, i am an anxiety sufferer but its just my normal. What you are describing does sound like anxiety. Which i believe is a symptom of quitting. So if you cant deal with it....seek help from a doctor. 

You talk about a bad energy. First thing id do is exercise to get some good positive energy happening? Dont sit and freak yourself out; do something. Is that possible? Exercise is the best thing ever. Or spend time with family or friends. Or chat with us. Ie keep busy and try be positive

Yeah I'm waiting for a treadmill, should be here any day now

On 6/2/2018 at 3:56 PM, jillar said:

There are so many other meds now for anxiety that I'm surprised he's not willing to try something else. 

I am not going to pretend to be a med expert but did want to mention this -

Sometimes the reason it is hard to get certain meds is because some people just go out and sell the pills.

It makes it hard for those who do not abuse or sell their meds and really need it.

Have you told you psychiatrist about these hallucinations? He or she may want to add an antipsychotic for now. Some of them like Zyprexa or even Seroquel also can help quite a bit with anxiety too.  Quitting smoking can and should prompt a medication review for people with mental health conditions. So many people with mental illness smoke but quitting is doable and many people have succeeded with the right support.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 8:11 AM, onthemark said:

Have you told you psychiatrist about these hallucinations? He or she may want to add an antipsychotic for now. Some of them like Zyprexa or even Seroquel also can help quite a bit with anxiety too.  Quitting smoking can and should prompt a medication review for people with mental health conditions. So many people with mental illness smoke but quitting is doable and many people have succeeded with the right support.

I am taking a high dosage of abilify now

• Like 2