I'm back

Luck has nothing to do with it. Either you smoke or you don't smoke.

It's not luck that you don't poke yourself in the eye when you're eating a salad. You just don't do it. It's not luck that you don't wear your shoes on your hands when you get dressed in the morning. You just don't do it.

"I'm going downstairs now! I hope I don't fall.  Wish me luck!"

Sounds kinda silly, no?

Now if you stop taking birth control, I'll wish you luck that you don't get knocked up, but as for smoking, I won't wish you luck, because you don't need it.

Be strong and don't smoke.

That's really all there is to it.

• Like 6

this post has failure written all over it....(been there, done that...that's how I know)

the words "try" , "luck", and"I guess".....ugghhh...never quit quitting christine!  Keep coming back here and you will eventually get it.  

• Like 2

I found that in the end, my failures contributed to my understanding of how I was going to just need to "dig in" and wade through the feelings. After 3 days, the nicotine is out of your system. Then you're into a battle of habit. So don't be downhearted by your failures but use them to reinforce your current mindset. You need to switch up your inner chit chat too - try, guess...these words are not a quitters friend because we mentally give ourself "an out". So change you self pep talk and you'll gain a lot more power over your mind, which is ultimately the only thing stopping or starting you smoking. Remember always, we have a choice, we make the choice to smoke or not smoke. 

So I won't wish you luck, I'll do better than that for you - I'll wish you the mental strength to beat this addiction.

xx

• Like 3

On 6/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, christine 12 said:

I tried to quit in January, and I only lasted three days. Then I tried a few more times, and only lasted 2-5 days. This is my fifth or so try, and Im at about 2 days. Wish me luck I guess.

4b1beb636e4f4f2572f64c27e0bbac49.jpg

This is the kind of self-talk I used to go through in my failed attempts, which are too numerous to count.

It truly makes a difference to consistently change the language you use to talk about and think about your quit. Keep the quit (KTQ). Not one puff today (NOPT), Not one puff ever (NOPE).  Or make it Not One Puff Ever Just for today if that works better for you. Go on the NOPE pledge thread every day.

The only way out of the cigarette addiction is to go through all the uncomfortable symptoms. Just don't put a stick in your mouth and light it. There are many good phrases and mottos that make it easier rather than harder to quit smoking. Choose the ones that work for you. Trying to quit is not one of them.

• Like 2