Pssst! I'll let you in on a little secret-Repost by Kathleen0515

jillar

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

It's no big deal to be an Old Pharte. Sure, it's nice to achieve that milestone and receive all the accolades, but it's not hard anymore to not smoke. By one year, you are far into your new life as a nonsmoker and you don't have to struggle to stay that way. By one year, the benefits of your quit have improved your life and your lifestyle. You are reminded every single day how great it is to be a nonsmoker. Your bank account is bigger and your health is better. And for many of us, there is a whole new way of life outside of just getting rid of the cigarettes. We have discovered new activities we love, we eat better, we have a new found confidence, we're proud of ourselves. What's so hard about all this? You know who are MY heroes? That person who has been lurking here and has finally made the choice to quit. And those who just got past that magic 72 hour mark, or hit their one month milestone. My heroes are the people who have blind faith and believe us when we tell them it will get better. It's those who get up every morning and log onto the QSMB to make the daily pledge because they know that's the only thing that will keep them from smoking that day. It's the person who is out the door to buy cigarettes but instead turns around and posts that SOS. Newbies, you are why this board is here. You are the ones that are the big deal here! So, cheers to all those brave souls who one day will join us on the lido deck. You're in the trenches now, but keep on climbing and if you need help reach out and we'll grab your hand. Because you are why we do what we do. 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

9 hours ago, jillar said:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

It's no big deal to be an Old Pharte. Sure, it's nice to achieve that milestone and receive all the accolades, but it's not hard anymore to not smoke. By one year, you are far into your new life as a nonsmoker and you don't have to struggle to stay that way. By one year, the benefits of your quit have improved your life and your lifestyle. You are reminded every single day how great it is to be a nonsmoker. Your bank account is bigger and your health is better. And for many of us, there is a whole new way of life outside of just getting rid of the cigarettes. We have discovered new activities we love, we eat better, we have a new found confidence, we're proud of ourselves. What's so hard about all this? You know who are MY heroes? That person who has been lurking here and has finally made the choice to quit. And those who just got past that magic 72 hour mark, or hit their one month milestone. My heroes are the people who have blind faith and believe us when we tell them it will get better. It's those who get up every morning and log onto the QSMB to make the daily pledge because they know that's the only thing that will keep them from smoking that day. It's the person who is out the door to buy cigarettes but instead turns around and posts that SOS. Newbies, you are why this board is here. You are the ones that are the big deal here! So, cheers to all those brave souls who one day will join us on the lido deck. You're in the trenches now, but keep on climbing and if you need help reach out and we'll grab your hand. Because you are why we do what we do. 

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2018 at 3:06 AM, Doreensfree said:

Newbies, you are why this board is here. You are the ones that are the big deal here! So, cheers to all those brave souls who one day will join us on the lido deck. You're in the trenches now, but keep on climbing and if you need help reach out and we'll grab your hand. Because you are why we do what we do. 

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I love watching a new quit grow and to hear from someone else when they have their "Wow!" moment when their quit clicks into place❤️ 

• Like 2

Imagine how surprised I was to see that my post from over 4 years ago lives on, even though the site that I credit my quit to sadly no longer does. Thanks jillar for reposting it, and although I do believe it was done with the best intentions, I must take exception to the editing done without my knowledge,. "My heroes" did not wake up every morning and log onto quittrain, they logged onto the QSMB (quit smoking message board), The fact that this site is no more does not diminish the importance it played for so many people over the course of so many years. QSMB is what somehow got me through endless nights when I thought I could not make it another minute without smoking. It connected me with with people from all over the world,  It was the home of crazy online fights the likes of which I had never seen, and deep friendships formed that will never be forgotten. It was my lifeline for months. It is what has gotten me to this point in my life where I don't ever think of smoking much less wish I could, where I can hardly imagine the life I lived as a smoker for 45 years. Loss teaches us we must accept change and move forward. But I will never forget you QSMB. Thank you to all the wonderful people who made you what you were and what you always will be in my heart. 

Edited by kathleen0515
left out a word
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kathleen0515 said:

. Thanks jillar for reposting it, and although I do believe it was done with the best intentions, I must take exception to the editing done without my knowledge

I'm sorry Kathleen for changing the name, I had no way to contact you to ask your permission. This post meant a lot to me in my first year and so I wanted to share it here for members on their first year. And since qsmb is no more i felt it was appropriate to change the name.

Again my apologies and I have edited it back to your original words.

P.s. Welcome to quittrain :)

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, kathleen0515 said:

Imagine how surprised I was to see that my post from over 4 years ago lives on, even though the site that I credit my quit to sadly no longer does. Thanks jillar for reposting it, and although I do believe it was done with the best intentions, I must take exception to the editing done without my knowledge,. "My heroes" did not wake up every morning and log onto quittrain, they logged onto the QSMB (quit smoking message board), The fact that this site is no more does not diminish the importance it played for so many people over the course of so many years. QSMB is what somehow got me through endless nights when I thought I could not make it another minute without smoking. It connected me with with people from all over the world,  It was the home of crazy online fights the likes of which I had never seen, and deep friendships formed that will never be forgotten. It was my lifeline for months. It is what has gotten me to this point in my life where I don't ever think of smoking much less wish I could, where I can hardly imagine the life I lived as a smoker for 45 years. Loss teaches us we must accept change and move forward. But I will never forget you QSMB. Thank you to all the wonderful people who made you what you were and what you always will be in my heart. 

And this is exactly what Quit Train is to me and so many others. Matters not the name or who the people are at the foundation of the site. It only matters that there are sites where anyone who wants to quit this horrible addiction have a supportive community to lean on while they are battling the monster that is our addiction!

Welcome to Quit Train Kathleen0515 .We salute those who have gone before us and we remain here to support those who are following in our footsteps :) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

From a newbie on day 1 of her quit being welcomed, from my first SOS post and receiving those messages of guarding my quit, to the regular banter of CoS and the ever important NOPE pledge, I'm absolutely glad I found this forum for the sheer level of support I get. 

Thank you for the post, and yes I love reading new quit stories, people sticking up for their quit because somewhere, something someone wrote clicked with them.

So glad to be a part of the QT family.

• Like 7

My post from last night sounds a little harsh and overreactive in the light of morning, so I'd like to just add a few words and then bow out. Firstly, my apologies to Jillar. I know that you meant no harm in reposting or in the slight edit you made. You were always one of the most supportive members at QSMB and I'm sure you are on this site as well. But, to further explain, there is a history between the two boards and it is not a happy one. Any founding member of Quittrain who remembers when it was started will also remember why. It was a very emotional and divisive time for those of us involved.  I, like several other long term members of QSMB, chose to remain there and  kind of "went down with the ship" ?. My sincere best wishes to all those just beginning this journey, and to those of you helping them along their way. In the end, all that matters is that you quit smoking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@kathleen0515, I hope you don't bow out. You have so much to offer and it would be a shame to let something that happened so long ago be your reason why. Quittrain has been so nice to all of us that came over from qsmb. They have welcomed us with open arms and with no animosity over anything that happened in the past. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...