Triggers, unexpected

Kate18

Staying close to the forum for a few minutes while this urge to smoke passes.  Not panicky SOS-ish, but close.  I need to focus on my commitment and think about how I want to be here tomorrow morning, pledging another day of quit.  I don't want to be done in by a tv show.

I expected on-awakening triggers, after-meal and before-I-drive (I never smoked in my car) triggers. I finished dinner and am watching an old episode of Medium (TV show about a psychic woman who aids the Phoenix district attorney and police to catch and convict killers) on Amazon Prime.  I think it's the last episode of season 3. Our heroine is divulging what should be confidential information in response to questions asked by a woman our heroine doesn't actually know. I had to turn the show off because I was so tense, so I'm not to the part where we find out who the woman is, but  I think the woman must be a tabloid reporter or something like that. Our heroine is no doubt going to be exposed, humiliated, and in big trouble.  I couldn't stand the suspense.

What I wanted to do (the dark part of me) was to go out and relieve the tension and stress with a cigarette.  Now I remember doing this many times before I could come back in the house and resume watching whatever show it was.  Smoking to release the tension used to work like a charm, according to the addicted mind I was filtering my experience through.

Earlier today I had to rush to finish up a project at work. . . and my body expected a reward of smoke/hit of nicotine when it was done because that's what I'd always done since I started my present position.  Until this afternoon, I hadn't noticed the habit loop of work tension, then finished but still some stress, and release the last bit of it with a cigarette.  Now remembering the Allen Carr video where the moderator talked about stress level and how it is higher in smokers because there is the stress of nicotine withdrawal PLUS the stress of whatever the event is.  

I prepared ahead of time for the triggers I expected. Wasn't specifically prepared for some of these events that I didn't think of as smoking-related. 

Whew. Craving passed. I'll save thinking of other unexpected triggers for when I'm craving and looking for constructive distraction.

• Like 7

Love how you got past your crave by posting here and so glad it wasn't at an SOS level :) Thats one thing I LOVE about being a member of a forum. Posting and concentrating on what you are writing is a great distraction. :)

• Like 4

Kate 18, 

Congratulations on your quit !

You need to invent other methods of reward for yourself

and make the rewards important and meaningful.

At first, go a little overboard on rewards because you are retraining your pleasure points to respond appropriately,

smoking stole these receptors and you must claim them back.

• Like 1

All the nicotine has gone from your body now..tell yourself how wonderful that feels..smoke free...

Why would you want to put it back in...????....NOPE....

You did the right thing..came here and got it off your chest..well done...

That nico monster creeps up ,when you least expect it...stay on your guard...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Kate 18, 

Congratulations on your quit !

You need to invent other methods of reward for yourself

and make the rewards important and meaningful.

At first, go a little overboard on rewards because you are retraining your pleasure points to respond appropriately,

smoking stole these receptors and you must claim them back.

Thanks for the tip, Sazerac. I was about to post a question about increased energy that I read somewhere is a result of quitting smoking. I am dragging through my days. I haven't experienced any lift in mood, either.  Did you get a lift in mood or increased energy (or anyone reading this)?

Yes, I like your idea of going a little overboard on rewards.  I had jotted notes about giving myself a reward here and there, but honestly, the ones I came up with leave me feeling flat; yawn.

I appreciate the suggestion for, "make the rewards important and meaningful."  This is an important distinction, I think. The only reward I'd thought of for today was to get blueberries at Costco. (It's not in my usual budget.) Thinking about blueberries wasn't giving me a boost of mood. 

The other reward on my shortlist is to buy zinnias to make a small flower garden at the one week mark. It's an ok reward, just ok.

Maybe I'll go and look at the dogs at the Humane Society today.  My dog died 12 weeks and 2 days ago, and I miss him very much.  It's too soon for me to get another dog, but seeing canine faces and wagging tales brings me peace.  And it won't cost me money except for the gas to drive there. And it's meaningful for me.

Thanks again :) 

• Like 1

Does your Humane Society have a volunteer dog walker program??? or similar??? Maybe just volunteering to walk the dogs would help as a reward?? Or an elderly neighbour with a dog that needs walking, you could volunteer to do that for them.

• Like 1

Hi Kate,

Some people get a surge of energy from quitting others get a sluggish fog,

I got the sluggish fog, it sucked and it lasted a few months to varying degrees.

Read this, The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog.  

Remember all these discomforts are TEMPORARY and you will emerge on the other side stronger than you have ever been.

You have a fine quit going on Kate, stay with it and power through.

5 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Does your Humane Society have a volunteer dog walker program??? or similar??? Maybe just volunteering to walk the dogs would help as a reward?? Or an elderly neighbour with a dog that needs walking, you could volunteer to do that for them.

I like your ideas, NSJ.  My only neighbor who has a dog and isn't with it often is a working woman who has a dog walker. I'll keep that one in mind and check on the Humane Society volunteer idea when I'm there this morning.

I was a fog dweller too Kate. My energy levels just sort of came back to what they were as the fog cleared... It wasn't a sudden surge of energy it was just a case of my noticing that I didn't feel like I was dragging through molasses to do everything anymore.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Hi Kate,

Some people get a surge of energy from quitting others get a sluggish fog,

I got the sluggish fog, it sucked and it lasted a few months to varying degrees.

Read this, The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog.  

Remember all these discomforts are TEMPORARY and you will emerge on the other side stronger than you have ever been.

You have a fine quit going on Kate, stay with it and power through.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I'll check it out. Yeh, I had been looking forward to mood and energy lift. Quitting smoking is having some unexpected sequelae. Gotta hold steady. 

3 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

I was a fog dweller too Kate. My energy levels just sort of came back to what they were as the fog cleared... It wasn't a sudden surge of energy it was just a case of my noticing that I didn't feel like I was dragging through molasses to do everything anymore.

This is good to know. I feel better just knowing some other people here have had a similar experience. 

• Like 1

Sometimes, I get a surge of energy. Sometimes I get a fog mind. Sometimes, I am lucky enough to be just me. 

Gotta hold steady. 

Oh yes. And if for some reason it gets a little shakey, there are those here who extend both hands to keep us steady. :)  You are doing so well kate. I see you becoming stronger and more aware. I think you are doing amazingly well. 

• Like 1