Study finds quitting will improve lung health - but smoking fewer does nothing

Whispers

I often tried the "cut-back" thing but I could never make it last more than a few days at most. I was always back to my normal smoking amount in no time.

According to this, I guess it really wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

• Like 2

Do we know how amazing we are having quit successfully?

A smoking work colleague used to hack up a lung for years. Was finally diagnosed with lung cancer. It was a miracle recovery. 6 weeks off work and back she came cough free and having given up smoking finally! Only 6 months later and she's back smoking in the courtyard at work. In the middle of winter. Hell, she hasn't even bothered to cut down as a gift to herself and her angels seeing as she was blessed with having survived lung cancer.

So yeah, it makes me furious. I haven't mentioned the elephant in the room. She'd bite my head off so I keep quiet.

But she did happen to mention that lately she's been feeling really tired. Do you want a CT scan with that tiredness? Hmmmm?

So ... I think we are amazing to have kept our quit. :)

Edited by Phoebe2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We sure are....I still get such a sense of pride...I did it !!!!....yaaa

My best buddy..also told me to go away ( sometimes not that polite)...mind my own business...

3 months after diagnosis of pancreatic cancer...she passed away....still a smoker...

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Phoebe2 said:

A smoking work colleague used to hack up a lung for years. Was finally diagnosed with lung cancer. It was a miracle recovery. 6 weeks off work and back she came cough free and having given up smoking finally! Only 6 months later and she's back smoking in the courtyard at work. In the middle of winter. Hell, she hasn't even bothered to cut down as a gift to herself and her angels seeing as she was blessed with having survived lung cancer.

So yeah, it makes me furious. I haven't mentioned the elephant in the room. She'd bite my head off so I keep quiet.

But she did happen to mention that lately she's been feeling really tired. Do you want a CT scan with that tiredness? Hmmmm?

No kidding. I mean if someone makes a recovery like that, they owe it to EVERYone to stay off the cigarettes. I mean jeeze, talk about getting a second chance.

For biting your head off, keep in mind that addicts do not like it when someone points out their addiction. The reason - they are not addicted. Just ask them.

WHEN she croaks or at the very least cannot work because she is chained to oxygen tanks, it will be her own fault. She had freedom, she threw it away. I mean after six months no smoking, surely the crave isn;t bad enough to draw one back in. Yeah we still get craves but they are easier to beat after so many months.

Us quitters should not smoke again. Let some other idiots kill themselves with that garbage.

You know Phoebe, when she does complain about feeling tired again, just say, "I wonder why? Smoking certainly would not cause anything like that". Or just non-chalantly say, "Cancer is back".

Yes, I agree she owes it to everyone who supported her and worried about her and looked after her during her recovery. And she owes it to herself. If having had lung cancer and been given as you say, a second chance, doesn't motivate you to keep the quit then buggered if I know anything.

But what I do know is how strong we are. We are exceptional people!

• Like 1