Almost an SOS

MattyBoy

Happy Mondays all! A little story from yesterday, during which I came very close to posting an SOS.

Ten days into my quit and everything is going well. If anything, it was going a little too easy; part of me was wanting a crave to hit so I could strengthen my resolve, but no – not until yesterday.

I had a meeting with a new business partner. But it was Sunday, it was sunny, so we have that meeting in a pub garden. Once drinks were bought he deposits the contents of his pockets onto the garden table: wallet, keys ... and a packet of cigarettes.

I don’t know him too well and didn’t know he smokes. As we spoke, I couldn’t take my eyes of the packet – I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying, could barely even listen. Just staring at the pack. There was a health warning – the one about strokes with a picture of man about my age slumped against a wall – but that didn’t really bother me. I just wanted the contents of that pack.

The moment passed. Probably only lasted a minute or two, but seemed a lot longer. Fortunately, part of my brain was also screaming 'POST AN SOS' and that thought alone seemed enough to ride it out. So the first real threat to my quit was defeated and I ended the day very proud of myself. ?

Ps: Here’s the weird thing: we were maybe in the pub an hour. The cigs sat on the table the whole time, but he didn’t smoke one. What the heck is that about?

• Like 9

Well done Matty! Nicotine has just lost some of its power!!! Everytime I go through this, I get stronger and the urge gets weaker. Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself. :) 

P.S. Weird, because I am so happy that you defeated nicotine! As happy as when I do it. hmmmm

Edited by lml
  • Like 3

Awesome job Matty... you faced it head on and came out the otherside.

Maybe they weren't really a pack of fags, maybe it was a secret spy like recording device disguised as a pack of smokes... sorry mate jsut shit stirring... maybe he was just courteous and because he was with a non-smoker he didn't smoke himself.

• Like 3

Good for you that you were able to deal with one coming out of nowhere like that. Those can be tough because they are unexpected and your guard may be down or it happens at a particularly weak moment. At least your mind didn't totally cave into the urge and was still thinking about the consequences of lighting one up.

Perhaps he didn't smoke one himself because often people will get annoyed in a setting like that where they are sitting at the next table and someone lights up a smoke. Part of the new shaming aspect of being "one of those people".

• Like 4

Good morning Matty, good job on getting past that craving. And for being prepared to post an SOS to save your quit :)

I agree with others that he was probably be respectful of you non smokers that were there :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4

Great job, Matty.  Each time you fight through a situation like this, your quit gets stronger.

And yeah, I agree with what was said about him either being too considerate or too embarrassed to smoke in that public setting.  He was probably on edge too, wanting a cigarette. 

You are working on putting all these struggles with nicotine behind you, which is awesome.  Hopefully one day your business partner will too.

• Like 1