The perplexing pull to the tobacco shop

I was walking around the shopping centre when I saw a sign saying 2pkts of Himlayan Pink Rock Salt $10. I followed the sign. When I looked up I saw the tobacconist. It was the same tobacconist where I had previously broken a quit at. The owner would illegally sell single cigarettes for $1. Before I could think my body flooded with chemical anticipation as I thought I could buy "just one" for old time sake. My quit would be in tact and I'd walk away laughing thinking "ha!" I'm such a good non-smoker, I can have one whenever and walk away.

I momentarily gathered some sanity and pulled myself away from there and found my pink rock salt in the store next door. I did think to myself how close I came to f#$#$$ing up my whole quit. The positive is that I didn't, but it reminded me how easy this would be to do. 

I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH WITHDRAWALS EVER AGAIN! AND SMOKING WOULD LEAD TO WITHDRAWALS SINCE I DON'T WANT TO SMOKE!

I thought I should write this down. It's important to process it for my recovery. Thanks for listening.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you GITW. These sort of things can draw us in unless we stay vigilent.

Fantastic work in getting past it with quit intact and sharing the experience will help others here.

You win again!

• Like 2

Just now, Sslip said:

Thank you GITW. These sort of things can draw us in unless we stay vigilent.

Fantastic work in getting past it with quit intact and sharing the experience will help others here.

You win again!

Thanks Sslip, you're very kind. ?

^^ Wot he said... Well bloody done with fighting the pull. Round 3,962 goes to Givvy... you are so rocking this... I hate the Tobies who are all about the $... my old Tobie is actually my biggest supporter... I still by my pre-pay recharges from him and the occasional can of softdrink.. (cans $2) every time I walk up he says "I no sell you smokes, you good girl now" and then asks what I wont.

Thanks heaps for sharing too... its something we are going to face from time to time... and I bet he's charging more than $1 smoke these days too.... money in your pocket, head high, pride and quit intact.

• Like 4

That's the way you build your permanent quit GITW!! Having established a base quit but then learning to be ever vigilant and not being fooled into that famous nicodemon lie .... "You can have just one. Who'll know? You can do it then just go back to your quit!"

It's a lot easier to say no now than to have to face the whole withdrawal process again. That Nicodemon bastard is tricky though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, reciprocity said:

That's the way you build your permanent quit GITW!! Having established a base quit but then learning to be ever vigilant and not being fooled into that famous nicodemon lie .... "You can have just one. Who'll know? You can do it then just go back to your quit!"

It's a lot easier to say no now than to have to face the whole withdrawal process again. That Nicodemon bastard is tricky though.

It's bloody tricky at times. Other times it's easy. I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this.

2 minutes ago, jillar said:

You should feel super proud of yourself givein, you faced it head on! Well done :)

Thank you Jillar. ?

4 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

^^ Wot he said... Well bloody done with fighting the pull. Round 3,962 goes to Givvy... you are so rocking this... I hate the Tobies who are all about the $... my old Tobie is actually my biggest supporter... I still by my pre-pay recharges from him and the occasional can of softdrink.. (cans $2) every time I walk up he says "I no sell you smokes, you good girl now" and then asks what I wont.

Thanks heaps for sharing too... its something we are going to face from time to time... and I bet he's charging more than $1 smoke these days too.... money in your pocket, head high, pride and quit intact.

Yep round 3962. How do you kill an addiction. One crave, one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month, one year at a time.

• Like 4

say it loud ! 

Yep round 3962. How do you kill an addiction. One crave, one minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month, one year at a time.

Your trip for delicious salt is like Iml sitting with wine at the end of the day,  like all of us at different times during our quits.

Our body memories are bonded to nicotine addiction...it's nuts.

Luckily,  it only takes time and intent to learn how to live like a free person. 

love your quit, G, it's a mighty fine quit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeaceTrain said:

WTG, GITW!  What I love about your story is the acute self awareness you have to be able to track your thought process through the entire experience and beyond and see the junkie thinking for what it is. 

Totally PT. It took me a while to stop falling for my old thoughts. 

• Like 1

GITW, thoughts do and will appear, to all or most of us. It’s about what we do with them, how we handle them. And you didn’t listen to it, you left. It shows your strength. What’s more, you were able to look at it from outside. It was the old addict thinking, not you. While the situation might have been uncomfortable, it shows what a great and strong quit you have. 

• Like 2

G'day GITW

one,timid, sneaky, it doesn't count, only have to buy one( not the packet) it doesn't count..... cause I was only trying to see watt this smoking thing was about. Can't hurt? Really? it's just one. One can't hurt.... Can it?

thats me.

pick me. Im It.

No I'm not. 

C

• Like 3

Good job GITW.  It sucks that we still might get slapped in the face with a trigger/crave or notion that we can have just one.  It is great when we slap it right back down to the bowels of hell and gleefully walk away hand in hand with our Quit. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, we all have moments where we think "just one" but as long as we do not give in.

See. if you HAD given in to "just one", right now you would be going nuts wanting "just one more". But you are not. So, all is well.

• Like 1