Hello !

MattyBoy

Hello! I’m a refugee from QSMB and I see there are a few QSMBers here – so hello again!

To recap: I quit from May 2016 for about 10 months with the support of QSMB before a relapse. Since then – and for the last year or so – I have made many attempts to quit: sometimes lasting just hours, sometimes days, sometimes weeks. I don’t struggle too much with craves (after the first day or so) it’s never clear what goes wrong. There just always seems to be a *reason * to smoke again, though I know that sounds nonsense. And having “just the one” always sucks me back into the trap.  

Anyway, I’m trying to replicate why my earlier quit seemed to work so well. One of the reasons was because I was on QSMB every day, sometimes just reading, sometimes posting about myself or helping others. It really helped reinforce the quit, and when I drifted away that’s when I relapsed.

So here I am again, on day four. I’ll be hanging around ?

• Like 10

Welcome Matty.

Embrace the NOPE mate. Sounds like your a bit like me and need to be accountable to others. I know if I NOPE in the morning its an easier quit day for me. Get reading, watch some vids, post a response to your own SOS...just don't put a durry in ya mouth and light it up..

Well done on being day 4.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Matty...

Congrats for never giving up..giving up.....

There is never a good reason to smoke..even if your arse was on fire...

Stick around here ,and NOPE away !!!!

Your amongst old friends and new...

• Like 2

Welcome Matty and congratulations on your quit.  You can make the choice to stay quit and I hope you do.

This back and forth with addiction is just too much battering and torture for anyone to endure, you must be kinder to yourself, M.

We will all be cheering for you and helping you all we can.

S

• Like 2

Matt, welcome aboard and congratulations on hitting day 4. You obviously know you have what it takes to have a successful quit. Keep focused, keep close to the board and let's make this one for good! 

• Like 2

Welcome aboard MattyBoy.

Post early.  Post often.  The ones who stay active here are the ones who build rock-solid quits.

Congratulations on setting yourself free from the smokes.

• Like 2

Welcome Matty. You have been given a lot of great advice. I don't understand why a group is so powerful, but this one sure is. Knowing that I wasn't alone and there were others who had been through this is invaluable to me. I feel supported and challenged at the same time. You can do this Matty. Congrats on 4 days. Congrats on your quit. Next time you think of having one, just say...NOPE!. 

Edited by lml
  • Like 4

Welcome back, Matty.  I'm sorry about your struggles but stick around here for a while.  The support from this place can really help you quit for good.

Congrats on Day 4.  These are the toughest days, as you know.  Keep the quit and you don't have to go through these early days again.

• Like 2

Don't envy your struggles to stay quit permanently Matty. I hope you manage to first of all stick around here and participate long enough to re-build a solid quit as well as find whatever it is that has been missing so far in order to not have to go through this process endlessly. You deserve better than that for yourself :)

• Like 1

Welcome back to freedom, Matty!   One of these quits will be your last.  Why don't you commit right now to make this the one?   This is what was the game-changer for me this time around- taking smoking completely off the table. No matter what happens, no matter what I may be thinking, I will NOT smoke!  Period. 

• Like 2

Hey Matty. Good for you quitting again. You must be young? I think that because if you quit at my age, 55, you would realize you’re running out of time for fooling around with multiple quits - you'd realize the importance of time and how much you have left. 

My first quit I was 18 and quit for a year. I blew it with one cig, thinking “I can handle just this one. I won’t start smoking again”. I surely do wish now that had been my forever quit. But I was young, didn’t care, always thought I could quit whenever I wanted. I was so wrong; it took 38 more years of heavy smoking to finally realize how bad the cig habit is and to forever quit. 

Im cheering for you here, keep your quit! It’s precious and so worth it. If Im incorrect about your youth please forgive. Perhaps my words could help a younger newbie somewhere?

Edited by NOPEster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi MattyBoy & Welcome.  It is nice to hear from you.  I'm glad you found Quit Train & the supportive folks on board.  I'm sorry to read about the relapse. Congratulations on Day 4! You know the drill NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE !!! Read, post & NOPE!!! 

17 hours ago, NOPEster said:

Hey Matty. Good for you quitting again. You must be young? I think that because if you quit at my age, 55, you would realize you’re running out of time for fooling around with multiple quits - you'd realize the importance of time and how much you have left. 

My first quit I was 18 and quit for a year. I blew it with one cig, thinking “I can handle just this one. I won’t start smoking again”. I surely do wish now that had been my forever quit. But I was young, didn’t care, always thought I could quit whenever I wanted. I was so wrong; it took 38 more years of heavy smoking to finally realize how bad the cig habit is and to forever quit. 

Im cheering for you here, keep your quit! It’s precious and so worth it. If Im incorrect about your youth please forgive. Perhaps my words could help a younger newbie somewhere?

Well, i'm 43 - so a little younger than you but hardly a teenager anymore (sadly) ?

I remember saying I would quit at 20, at 30, at 40 - I'm determined I won't be saying the same at 50! As you say, time is running out for fooling around

(thanks to everyone for their supportive comments on this thread btw)

• Like 3