A Few Thoughts

Boo

We have several quitters here on the Train who are in the earlier stages of the quit.  Godspeed newbies.  I'm noticing some recurring themes and thought I would put in my two-cents.

Quitting is simple if you don't complicate it.  Quitting doesn't demand that you do anything.  You're simply refraining from doing something you used to do.  It makes no demands on your time and it's free.  Don't stick a cigarette in your mouth and light it on fire.  One-step and done.

"I quit, but I still want to smoke."  Of course you do, particularly in the early days.  Old habits alone are hard enough to break.  Throw addiction in the mix and now you've got yourself a situation that is going to want to hang on for a while.  Be patient with the process and cut yourself some slack.  If you wanted to smoke but didn't...congratulations, that's how you build a quit.

"I want to get to that place of freedom."  Look around; are you sure you're not already there?  You used to smoke and now you don't.  That's freedom.  Some are celebrating making it through their first week others are commemorating five years.  Just because someone started their journey before you doesn't mean you're not on the same trail.  You've done a great thing for yourself, you quit smoking.  You are already right where you need to be.

Congratulations newbies.  You've committed to a process that will reward you many times over.  Take pride and enjoy the ride.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Boo said:

Be patient with the process and cut yourself some slack.  If you wanted to smoke but didn't...congratulations, that's how you build a quit.

yes yes yes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I want to get to that place of freedom."  Look around; are you sure you're not already there?  You used to smoke and now you don't.  That's freedom.  Some are celebrating making it through their first week others are commemorating five years.  Just because someone started their journey before you doesn't mean you're not on the same trail.  You've done a great thing for yourself, you quit smoking.  You are already right where you need to be.

Boo ...says it perfectly.... The minute you put out that last smoke ...you have freedom....

All you need to do ...is guard it with your life.!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/13/2018 at 3:41 AM, Boo said:

Quitting is simple if you don't complicate it. 

Complicating things, over-analyzing almost became another addiction that first year. It gave me a sense of control I guess.

I’m glad you and some others kept repeating the above message. I’m finally getting it now and after relapsing and getting back at my two feet, I know the basics are most important: breath yourself through the moment and don’t light up. I’m not tiring myself anymore with endless lists, pep-talks, wishingthiswouldbeoverfinallyetc. 

Thanks @Boo!

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, MLMR said:

Complicating things, over-analyzing almost became another addiction that first year. It gave me a sense of control I guess.

I’m glad you and some others kept repeating the above message. I’m finally getting it now and after relapsing and getting back at my two feet, I know the basics are most important: breath yourself through the moment and don’t light up. I’m not tiring myself anymore with endless lists, pep-talks, wishingthiswouldbeoverfinallyetc. 

The two incontrovertible rules of quitting have never changed.  RULE #1: DON'T SMOKE!  RULE #2: If you have any further questions refer back to RULE #1.

It's a simple process yet it works 100% of the time.

image.png.822a83e7c1c2cfd2517466d816c2f306.png

• Like 8

• 9 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 2:41 AM, Boo said:

We have several quitters here on the Train who are in the earlier stages of the quit.  Godspeed newbies.  I'm noticing some recurring themes and thought I would put in my two-cents.

Quitting is simple if you don't complicate it.  Quitting doesn't demand that you do anything.  You're simply refraining from doing something you used to do.  It makes no demands on your time and it's free.  Don't stick a cigarette in your mouth and light it on fire.  One-step and done.

"I quit, but I still want to smoke."  Of course you do, particularly in the early days.  Old habits alone are hard enough to break.  Throw addiction in the mix and now you've got yourself a situation that is going to want to hang on for a while.  Be patient with the process and cut yourself some slack.  If you wanted to smoke but didn't...congratulations, that's how you build a quit.

"I want to get to that place of freedom."  Look around; are you sure you're not already there?  You used to smoke and now you don't.  That's freedom.  Some are celebrating making it through their first week others are commemorating five years.  Just because someone started their journey before you doesn't mean you're not on the same trail.  You've done a great thing for yourself, you quit smoking.  You are already right where you need to be.

Congratulations newbies.  You've committed to a process that will reward you many times over.  Take pride and enjoy the ride.

This is a great post 🐸

• Like 2

• 4 months later...