Former QSMB member

Hi my name is Mike.  I am a former quit smoking forum member(miamimike) and I have 28 months smoke free. I have been feeling anxious lately and this has given me cravings. I wanted to renew my quit and commitment since I treasure my quit! I have reaped so many health benefits from not smoking I love being an ex-smoker. I’m also here to support the newbies! 

• Like 13

Hey Mike and welcome. I started my quit journey over there and remember seeing you post. Welcome, and I'm sorry you have been feeling anxious but glad you didn't listen to the craves. So glad you hunted us out for that extra bit of support and there are a wack of newbies and half-fartes here (like me) who would love all the support and advice we can get. So welcome.

• Like 4

Hey Mike, welcome on board. Many of the QSMB crew made it across here and you should recognise many names.

Smart move to jump aboard and its nice to know that the fundamentals will continue to help way down the line.

Settle in, it will be good to have you around.

• Like 4

Hi Mike !  I am super glad you found us.

Congratulations on your quit ! 28 months is just grand.

Settle in, look around, have some fun, post a lot and let us know you.

Remember a crave is not a command and will not help you with anxiety.

In fact,  smoking will create so much more anxiety,  you know that.

Learn how to ease your anxiety.  Restful sleep.  Deep breaths, thoughtful breaths.  Calm, quiet breaths.

A run, a walk, some music.

Examine what is causing anxiety and remove it from your life if you can.

There will always be anxiety around somewhere but, we don't have to indulge it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi MiamiMike! I vaguely remember you from QSMB.  Bravo for seeking support here! Those pesky smoking memories will try to seduce us every now and again.They look so seductive and safe-but deep down we know it is all a ruse.

You are smarter and stronger than this demonic addiction 

• Like 1

Sazerac you are right on. A crave is NOT A COMMAND! That has been very helpful in my quit. For you newbies you get really strong and good at letting craves pass. It does get easier with time. I also have turned to exercise early in my quit and it’s been the best thing for me. If you can replace smoking with exercising it creates a healthy new habit. I go to the gym now as easily as I used to light a cigarette. It’s a healthy powerful habit. I have hit a bit of a rough patch as of late and this happens. It was smooth sailing for the past 5 months and it just got hard. This is when you must absolutely “protect” your quit which is why I reached out for support. I will do whatever it takes to continue my quit. Btw, if you suffer from anxiety smoking does not help but makes it far worse! 

• Like 7

Welcome to the quit train Mike :)

I have also found a recent rough patch due to just life sh*t! We get by that stuff if we really want to and certainly doing that is much better and easier than starting over again. I'm going to do what I need to in order to stay quit. You are welcome to join me if you like?

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Miamimike said:

Btw, if you suffer from anxiety smoking does not help but makes it far worse! 

100%, Mike!  This has been the case for me and it’s one of my best motivators to KTQ!  You were smart to come here and recommit. I’ll remember that as I get further along. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Miamimike said:

Sazerac you are right on. A crave is NOT A COMMAND! That has been very helpful in my quit. For you newbies you get really strong and good at letting craves pass. It does get easier with time. I also have turned to exercise early in my quit and it’s been the best thing for me. If you can replace smoking with exercising it creates a healthy new habit. I go to the gym now as easily as I used to light a cigarette. It’s a healthy powerful habit. I have hit a bit of a rough patch as of late and this happens. It was smooth sailing for the past 5 months and it just got hard. This is when you must absolutely “protect” your quit which is why I reached out for support. I will do whatever it takes to continue my quit. Btw, if you suffer from anxiety smoking does not help but makes it far worse! 

You are doing all the good work for yourself, M, good on you. 

I'm sorry about this rough patch, you are very smart to stay aware and extra vigilant and to come here to talk things over with your allies.

This post from Cristóbal may be a helpful reminder to you, to All of Us 

Your Quit & Your Life- The Proper Sequence

• Like 1

I too have recently been "tested" in terms of heightened anxiety, stress and well .... you name it.

Thinking back on these past few days I can honestly say, smoking would not have changed a thing or made me feel any better about anything. In fact, quit the opposite I expect. Glad I didn't find out 1st hand!!

• Like 1

Hi Mike. You sound like me, I’m from the QSMB but only 15 months quit. I think I still get cravings but I stay loyal to my hard earned quit and just shrug the cravings off. So I came here to quit train for your same reason, to stay quit.

I don’t show up here everyday, but I do enjoy reading newbies’ posts and giving them a pat on the back. I post a NOPE whenever I’m here and keep an eye out for my peeps from QSMB; Jillar, Mike Hoonrahan (sp?), Mike Piano, Johhny5, Inittoquit, lust4life, CBDave, Linsquitting, and plenty more - I just cant recall all. They all helped me with my quit though. 

It feels good to root for anyone who’s trying to quit cigs. A nice warm “pay it back” in honor of those folks whom helped me. 

• Like 1