Decided not to go buy another pack.

Kbc

Hi,

After 40 years of slavery to this addiction it's time. Time for me, and time to move on. I can still taste the last one, and I'm already afraid.

I don't want to extend the struggle with a replacement, I just want to be free of this.

I have big plans and it just doesn't fit into those plans anymore.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 12

Welcome Kbc and congratulations on taking back your life! I too was a long time smoker, 35 years, and decided one day that that was it. It wasn't always easy but thanks to forums like this it is doable. Stick close, reach out when you are thinking you may cave to a crave and we will be there to help you through. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome aboard Kcb...

Congrats on making the great decision to take your life back ....

There is a ton of great info to read,and videos to watch ,they are pinned next to a green square on the main page here...

We have a daily pledge ...it's a great way to start each day...

Looking forward to getting to know you better...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kcb, welcome aboard for this journey -- One that will have its up and downs but we are here to help you along the way.  I too was a long time smoker ( 44 years) and thought it could not be done but now I am over 4 months into my quit and enjoying each day more.  This site has greatly helped me along the way, the people here are amazing.  Remember to pledge NOPE daily (it really does help), also deep breathing techniques and lots of cold water will help.  Hope to see more of you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kbc said:

Hi,

After 40 years of slavery to this addiction it's time. Time for me, and time to move on. I can still taste the last one, and I'm already afraid.

I don't want to extend the struggle with a replacement, I just want to be free of this.

I have big plans and it just doesn't fit into those plans anymore.

Hope that makes sense.

Welcom Kbc,

You can kick your fear to the kerb along with the smokes.

Quitting smoking will not kill you.  Quitting smoking empowers you.

You will, undoubtedly have some discomfort but, you will be able to power through because You have made the decision to quit.  That's done.

Please be kind to yourself, reward yourself for every crave crashed and learn all you can about nicotine addiction.

Education is power.

We are here to share our experiences with you and help you as much as we can.

This is a beautiful day for you.  You don't smoke, it's a gorgeous day to be free.

p.s. you might find this thread useful,  10 ways to effectively use this forum.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Kbc.  Good call on quitting the smokes.

Most of us had some level of fear and self-doubt when we took the plunge.  It's natural but unwarranted.  Cravings come then they go.  Any mental fog experienced clears right up.  The obsessive thoughts cease.

Not only will you survive the process, you've taken the first step towards an improved quality of life by taking back your life from the cigarettes.

Congratulations and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There does come a point where it is like, "I am tired of this, tired of the coughing, wasting money, feeling like crap, smelling horrid, burning holes in my clothes, getting lectures, etc.

Quitting cold turkey can be done. I assume that is what you mean by "no replacements"?

If you do cave in though, the next step is to try to examine what caused you to give in and then use that to start a more solid quit.

It sounds though like you are truly ready so you should not have any problems hanging onto the Quit.

We have all heard those commercials that talk about failure rates for those going cold turkey. Or how nicotine is the hardest drug to quit. Hardly the truth. That is partially to blame for any worry or self doubt in the beginning.

"They" want you to think this cannot be done so you will buy their useless products.

EDIT - To kind of expand on what Sslip said -

Once you make it a solid 24 hours without smoking, even ONE day, you have then proven to yourself that you CAN go, voluntarily  without smoking. Then you know it can be done. You will have something to build on.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kbc, some really great advice offered already. I'd like to emphasize the daily Nope!

Just make it the first thing you do every day and make it through that 24 hours. You repeat that over and over again, you'll have a great quit.

Welcome aboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome KBC.... what a fantastic decision you have made. Everyone above has given you great advice... So 1 day at a time, promise yourself NOPE each day, and just focus on getting through a day... one day at a time... it ads up quicker than you think. You can do this. Learn about the nicotine addiction... because knowledge is power... and never be afraid to sing out in a post when its tough and you just need another presence to talk you down or acknowledge your not going crazy, to remind you you can do this... because we have all been there and we all had someone hold our hand and pull us through. All strength to ya.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow thank you all for the encouraging words!

Love the NOPE idea. Will be digging around am sure. This isn't my first time at this rodeo, but I have a good strong NOPE, and a few other choice words for the "Insidious voice" , or whatever y'all call it.

Deep breath

Firm NOPE

• Like 6

It's pretty clean above stairs. But, emphasis might entail alternative spellings. 

After you have a number of posts, they let you go down to 'off the record' where we can be our filthy selves, scream and shout and look at pictures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lucky for me I haven't gotten into trouble for my foul mouth cos I swear heaps. But I do try to tone it down and sometimes I have to be creative with spelling. Most other boards I've been involved in (maybe 3) it has not been appreciated. I have to remember that this is open so most anyone can read what is said and that could be kids. If a word is bad it will automatically sensor like this ***** .... but pretty sure if it was a major issue you'd get a nice cyber tap on the shoulder and a reminder to play nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome KBC...to a wonderful place, with some wonderful people. Stay close. You can do this KBC. You have a group of hey quitters here to help you, as they help me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I will try to use some alternative spelling. And post fast so I get there, cause Google doesn't clean it up for ya like some.

Jo, ya got some mad skills with the words. Hope you're putting that to work for ya.??

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kbc said:

Ok, I will try to use some alternative spelling. And post fast so I get there, cause Google doesn't clean it up for ya like some.

Jo, ya got some mad skills with the words. Hope you're putting that to work for ya.??

Thanks mate, but you have got to meet me on a pretty sane day... some days I communicate totally in Strine (Aussie Bogan Slang) which can be a tad hard to read if you don't know the sounds its meant to represent or the slang... I'm always happy to offer a translation though so never be affraid to say what you on about you crazy convict?

I think you mob at QT are the only ones who get to see that stuff and I haven't written like that since before I smoked... so there is another thing to be greatful for being Nicotine Free... my brain works better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also long time smoker, 40 years , quit cold turkey 8 weeks ago. If I can, anyone can ? one day soon you will wonder what you were so scared of and why you didn’t do it years ago , stay strong . You got this?

• Like 1

Sorry - late to the party here but welcome Kbc! You have the hang of it here already and will fit right in I;m sure. Make sure you participate all you can, especially with the daily NOPE. Start your day off right :) Education about this addiction, personal commitment and the support you will find here from other quitters plus a lot of laughs to get you through the tough times will get you to your goal - life long quitter :)

• Like 1