4 Months

Sslip

Seems like I get around to this every six weeks or so. Lazy sod!

Last time I did one of these at 10 weeks in, I talked about how quitting was pissing me off, it felt like a daily grind and I was tired, but kind of seeing some benefits at the same time.

So what have the last six weeks brought?

I had more tough times, particularly in the early part of the period, but participating here, with friends, helps immensely. I'm still having urges to smoke at times, particularly related to those things that I'm starting to do for the first time since quit, now that spring has sprung. Fortunately having read about it here, I was ready for it. At ten weeks I thought those urges to smoke were between 50% and 75% the intensity compared when I first quit. The really good news now is that this has become much easier, probably no more than 50% intensity. I still have to be on my guard, I still have to make the smart choice, but I am better equipped to do so.

Little successes have helped. Out drinking recently and wandering home with people outside the pub smoking, I had a wouldn't that be good moment. I actually, for the first time, truthfully answered my own question with a "No, it wouldn't". Even in my slightly inebriated state I could recognize it would have tasted like crap and would have made me feel like crap the next day, without even getting into the tossing the quit question. The morning after the night before the conviction wasn't quite as strong, but easily dealt with.

And in the last 4 weeks I have really noticed a change in my breathing. It is easy in a way I don't ever remember.

So, first 3.5 months have been about survival and nurturing the quit. I understand when people talk about romancing the cigarette, because I still do to a degree,  that's still a work in progress. The last couple of weeks though has been the first time I'm feeling truly happy about being smoke free.

So now for the big one, I have committed to myself that the next 4 months I need to be smoke free. The posts from Sazerac about treating yourself, well I've taken it to heart and have gone big.

The next 4 months smoke free = Payment for 1 charity trek for me to The Grand Canyon in October :)

I wouldn't have done this before, but what the hell, I'm saving that money, I get to help a kids charity and it sounds like an awesome trip. Now all I need to do is lose some of this bloody weight before hand.

Chat to you around the 6 month mark my friends!

• Like 17

I am so chuffed you are treating yourself kindly and in a beautiful, special way.

You quit smoking, S !  Damn right you should reward yourself !

Any residual smokey thoughts will fade soon into oblivion.  Stay vigilant and true to yourself.

It has been encouraging to read your progress and a delight to read your honest and thoughtful posts.

The Grand Canyon is a really deluxe reward, baby !  Your mind will be blown, the beauty is indescribable and photos are only a clue to it's magnificence.

I will appreciate my vicarious thrills knowing you are there,  awesome only begins to tell the story.

• Thanks 1

Just also to say a huge thanks to so many of you, both from my early days at QSMB and our home here at Quittrain.

I couldn't do justice to a roll call of those who have been so instrumental in my quit, but I'm sure my friends will forgive me calling out just a couple. To @jillar and @beazel who looked after me so well when I was shakier than a leaf, thank you. To @Sazerac who spends so much time bumping posts that are so often the right thing to see at the right time, thank you. Standing on the shoulders of giants comes to mind and obviously by extension to those that inspired them.

I am grateful for those who share experiences (especially newbies when it can be a frightening prospect), those who keep the entertainment flowing in the social sections and those that mark celebrations and nope on a daily basis.

We have a great bunch of people here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sslip said:

Seems like I get around to this every six weeks or so. Lazy sod!

Last time I did one of these at 10 weeks in, I talked about how quitting was pissing me off, it felt like a daily grind and I was tired, but kind of seeing some benefits at the same time.

So what have the last six weeks brought?

I had more tough times, particularly in the early part of the period, but participating here, with friends, helps immensely. I'm still having urges to smoke at times, particularly related to those things that I'm starting to do for the first time since quit, now that spring has sprung. Fortunately having read about it here, I was ready for it. At ten weeks I thought those urges to smoke were between 50% and 75% the intensity compared when I first quit. The really good news now is that this has become much easier, probably no more than 50% intensity. I still have to be on my guard, I still have to make the smart choice, but I am better equipped to do so.

Little successes have helped. Out drinking recently and wandering home with people outside the pub smoking, I had a wouldn't that be good moment. I actually, for the first time, truthfully answered my own question with a "No, it wouldn't". Even in my slightly inebriated state I could recognize it would have tasted like crap and would have made me feel like crap the next day, without even getting into the tossing the quit question. The morning after the night before the conviction wasn't quite as strong, but easily dealt with.

And in the last 4 weeks I have really noticed a change in my breathing. It is easy in a way I don't ever remember.

So, first 3.5 months have been about survival and nurturing the quit. I understand when people talk about romancing the cigarette, because I still do to a degree,  that's still a work in progress. The last couple of weeks though has been the first time I'm feeling truly happy about being smoke free.

So now for the big one, I have committed to myself that the next 4 months I need to be smoke free. The posts from Sazerac about treating yourself, well I've taken it to heart and have gone big.

The next 4 months smoke free = Payment for 1 charity trek for me to The Grand Canyon in October :)

I wouldn't have done this before, but what the hell, I'm saving that money, I get to help a kids charity and it sounds like an awesome trip. Now all I need to do is lose some of this bloody weight before hand.

Chat to you around the 6 month mark my friends!

Love this !!!

Don't look now ..but..I think you have got this !!!....

Rewards are so important... It's that massive pat on the back for all your hard work...

And what a fabulous reward..!!!!

I look forward to the 6 month chat..

PS..the weight will sort itself out later...

High Five ...

• Thanks 1

Great job Slip.  Congratulations.

1 hour ago, Sslip said:

Cool.  I'm heading out to the Grand Canyon in September.  I'll tell 'em to leave a light on for you.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Great update Shane, I'm so glad things are getting easier now. It sure seems like they never will at first, especially for us older folks. I still remember the first morning after I quit where I woke up in the best mood I'd been in in a few years. I'm glad your breathing better too, heck you might get frisky and shoot for three laps in that pool, hee, hee :)

Your reward to a children's charity is exactly what I would expect from you. You're such a caring person who always puts others before yourself. What a great way to celebrate :)

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Sslip said:

I talked about how quitting was pissing me off, it felt like a daily grind and I was tired,

It feels like a daily grind because it IS a daily grind - at least in the beginning.  I remember the last time I quit, it stopped being a constant battle sometime around 3 or 4 months.  I stopped thinking about it entirely by the time I was around a year or a year and a half.

You are doing AMAZING and I'm so happy for you.  Looking forward to being where you're at again myself.  :)

• Thanks 1

Wow the grand canyon what an ammmazing treat slippy!!! What does a trek of the grand canyon entail? Sounds soo cool and what a great thing to look forward to. Ill sponsor u if u post a link. Aye you better up ya lengths in the pool!! 

• Thanks 2

Well there's a surprise... NOT.... Lordy Sslip using his saved monies to reward himself by helping others. Fantastic post Shane and what an amazing way to reward yourself and to give back at the same time. So fricken jealous. Just make sure not to pack a red jacket, I think they have an aversion to them over there, especially when the bloke wearing it has a pommy accent.

Your last week was a bit of a gauntlet run of testing the quit with your drinks night and the start of the cricket season.... and you sailed through it all with total aplomb. I don't think you realise how solid the base is for your quit, you're like a rock Slip. I loved "on the shoulders of giants, and those that went before them" because you can be assured your someone else's giant. Wish I was traveling a month behind you instead of a month ahead when these rare little gems you produce appear, because ^that up there, that's what I needed to be reading at the 10 week mark. So that when I spent the next 6 weeks wading through the next three weeks there was light at the end of the tunnel and to know i wasn't alone, when all the crazy new stages of being quit hit I would also know that I wasn't the only one, it was typical, someone else had done it. So for those coming behind you now, in a year or in 4 I thank you too.

(OH, didn't think of that but as @WeegieWoman said, post a link mate I'll sponsor you too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are...realized I hadn't stopped in in a while...can't quit get the regular attendance I had b4 qsmb crashed for some reason....but I still love the support here and want to check in on my quit buddies ???

• Like 2