My journey

lml

It is day 5. I am on the patch, step 3, so still feeding my nicotine receptors. 

Yet, I still go through cravings; I imagine they are not as bad as if it was cold turkey, but there are times when the craves are intense. I get up from work and go for walks when I get a bad crave and that usually helps. I do deep breathing and meditation. I remind myself about why I decided to quit smoking and why I don't ever want to smoke another. I read about all the destructive things that smoking does. And while I don't want one, I crave one. My mind is a crazy thing. I am totally addicted not just to nicotine, but to smoking. 

I do get through the craves, and will continue to "fight" my way through each one and chose to do things that are good for me rather than giving in to the crave; but geez...it's tough. :)  Logically it should be a no-brainer - do something good for me that I enjoy doing or do something bad for me that I do not enjoy. 

For me, one step at a time. Next week, I will go down step 2 of the patch. 

• Like 4

Hi lml, welcome to hell week! The first month for me was pretty brutal. And each month and every crave beaten off got a little easier. Stay on the patches as long as you need them in order to be successful. A lot of people make the mistake of going off NRT's too soon and relapse. And you don't want to have to go through these bad days again right?! Keep doing what you're doing, you're almost on to week two, heck week :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lml said:

It is day 5. I am on the patch, step 3, so still feeding my nicotine receptors. 

Yet, I still go through cravings; I imagine they are not as bad as if it was cold turkey, but there are times when the craves are intense. I get up from work and go for walks when I get a bad crave and that usually helps. I do deep breathing and meditation. I remind myself about why I decided to quit smoking and why I don't ever want to smoke another. I read about all the destructive things that smoking does. And while I don't want one, I crave one. My mind is a crazy thing. I am totally addicted not just to nicotine, but to smoking. 

I do get through the craves, and will continue to "fight" my way through each one and chose to do things that are good for me rather than giving in to the crave; but geez...it's tough. :)  Logically it should be a no-brainer - do something good for me that I enjoy doing or do something bad for me that I do not enjoy. 

For me, one step at a time. Next week, I will go down step 2 of the patch. 

It is good to hear your resolve and your thinking.

It shows you've been doing some homework which will help to make your quit a strong one.

Glad you're here.  Post often with information about your journey and others will learn.

Congratulations on your fifth day !

• Like 3

Post often with information about your journey and others will learn.

Stay on the patches as long as you need them in order to be successful. A lot of people make the mistake of going off NRT's too soon and relapse. And you don't want to have to go through these bad days again right?!

Hi Sazerac and jillar, Thanks for the post and encouragement. I am surprised at how much these things help!!! 

My thinking right now is still muddled up with the way of thinking of a nicotine addict, that I find it helpful to put this stuff out there, go back and read it, and see what others who have been there and see what someone else who has been through this has to say. I don't trust my thinking in this area right now. 

I have been struggling with what jillar wrote. I feel my body has adapted to the step 3 and the dopamine supply has adapted to step 3, which is why I am seriously considering it would be a good time to go to step 2. I am really torn because I have also read that the  receptors that have been hi-jacked by nicotine won't completely return to their normal non-smoker state until nicotine has been out of my system for 3-6 weeks! And I am still keeping them alive and active by giving them the nicotine through the patch. The receptors went crazy the first couple of days with step 3 dosage of the patch (as did my mood swings - although not as bad as without the patch), but then adapted and stabilized. I am thinking that when I go to step 2, which is a lower dose of nicotine, it will take a couple days for the receptors to adapt to the lower dosage also - it seems inevitable. 

I know I am be rushing things, but from what I have read about the nicotine receptors in the brain, it is going to be an adjustment no matter when I go to it. But what jillar about going off NRTs too soon is based on experiences of many who have relapsed and those who did not...

My goal is not only to be smoke free but to be nicotine free; but I don't want to jeaporidize the quit smoke date by not following the recommended patch program. Surprisingly, my lungs are already starting to feel better after my "power" walks (keep in perspective I am almost 65, so it is all relative ?).

If anyone has used the patch, can you let me know what you experienced when you went from step 3 to step 2? I would appreciate it. 

Sigh... :) 

• Like 1

There are two separate parts to quitting. The physical addiction to nicotine then there's the mental part of quitting. That is the hardest part I think and it takes the longest to overcome. Just think about how much of your life each and every day revolved around smoking. It's incredible when you think of it. That that's a long time to reverse to the point where you are comfortable with not turning to smokes all the time. The only way to get there is to go through the entire quitting process. Stay active here because it will help not only you but others as well. You are almost at week 2 - congrats!!

Sorry, I didn't use patches so I can't help you there. Well, I did for 2 days then just went off them altogether. It worked for me but everyone is different.

Edited by reciprocity

Every time you fight it off you will feel stronger , braver and more in control ?almost week two?

Thanks Suz916. Yes. each time I fight it off, I get more confident that I am capable of using/developing coping mechanisms. I see you quit in March? how are you doing? 

3 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

There are two separate parts to quitting.

Thanks reciprocity. I expected two parts, but found I am experiencing three separate parts :). The physical, the behaviorial (all my habits) and what I am now learning of pychoanalysis (how smoking has altered my brain and dopamine). 

• Like 2

Lml, I think that you are doing well in this quit.  You realize to come here when you need some help or advice.  I went cold turkey so I can't  answer any questions about NRT.  I would like to add do anything you can to help your quit.  As the pig lover stated the hardest and longest part is getting over the mental part and "re-wiring" your brain which the NRT can help, the physical or withdrawal part only takes a few days and the NRT may help shorten that.  Anyway your at almost week on your quit-- keep strong.  

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 1

Keep up the great work, lml.  I think you have the right attitude and you are right to take it one step at a time.  It gets better with time and you will be glad that you did this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lml said:

Thanks reciprocity. I expected two parts, but found I am experiencing three separate parts :). The physical, the behaviorial (all my habits) and what I am now learning of pychoanalysis (how smoking has altered my brain and dopamine). 

The good news is: quitting also alters your brain.  The old neural pathways created while smoking are already starting to give way to the new pathways being created during your quit.  

Reconditioning and neuroplasticty are some fine allies to have on your side during the process of quitting.

• Like 1

One day you can look back fondly at this time and be so proud of yourself that you learned how to free yourself from the nicotine addiction. Everything you are going through is because of the addiction and the only way to make these unpleasant feelings go away for good is to never take another puff again. Keep up the great work you are doing and don't fret over how long it takes with the patches.

• Like 2