Advice on calories, I think..??

Okeydokeys then, where to start..

Think this is the right place to post as you lovely peeps are a wealth of information... ?

First time calorie counter/ food watcher needs some advice on where to start please..

So, in my almost 50 years on this wonderful planet I have been blessed to be able to eat what I want when I want and always remained around the same weight about 9st/126lb/57kg only ever moved up drastically when pregnant but fell off soon as wee ones popped out.. 

(Ok they didnt just *pop out* but nobody needs the gory details)

Soooo almost 9 months into my quit and I'm really starting to pile it on even more now than in the begining I am now 11st/154lb/69kg I weigh myself once a month and put on 7lb/3.1 kg this last month.. 

I walk around 7 miles a day and am active most of the day not much sitting to be done..

I know I eat rubbish and am really still in the treat yourself mindset that I was in the early days, you know the need a puff = sook a sweety, needed a puff didn't have one = a KK doughnut etc, etc, etc... only now I hardly have any cravings and when I do they not actually cravings more notions but I'm still feeding my face, hell I don't even need an excuse anymore ? I fear this is going to be the hardest habit to break.

I should add I don't do excersise or running, not my thing just don't like it at all and don't want to force myself to do something I hate cos that would be punishing myself and I won't do that..

So I know I have havered on a wee bit but I really don't have a clue where to start, well I do obviously doughnuts first things to go ? but you know what I mean, is calorie counting really gonna make any difference ??

I'm maybe looking to lose about half a stone to 1 stone 14lb/ 6.3kg  or a wee bit less (most of fat yes it is fat has went onto my belly, not pretty at all,I look like I am  6 months up the duff..!!

I fear this is gonna be harder than my quit ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Years and years ago before I had the kid I did calorie counting and it was fantastic until I became so obsessed with counting the calories that I spent hours a day doing spread sheets and graphs and took it to the worst extreme. But that's me, I tend to jump in with both feet and get obsessive about stupid shit especially if there are numbers involved (as we all saw last week)... but of all the weight loss methods I have tried and tested over the years calorie counting is the most successful and the easiest maintain. However if you have OCD tendencies then just tread carefully.

So lets look at some things here... 1, you can't give up eating, you have to create new habits... 2. the more gradually you loose the weight the longer it will stay off (and this really is true).. so an average woman needs to eat about 2000 calories per day to maintain, and 1500 calories to lose one pound of weight per week. An average man needs 2500 calories to maintain, and 2000 to lose one pound of weight per week (As frickin usual the guys get the best of everything)..  you shouldn't need to do more exercise than you do either. 3. When counting calories it includes everything that goes in your mouth, including drinks.... 4. When you feel hungry have a glass (250ml) of water (preferably cold) and wait 15mins, if your still hungry 15mins later then have something to eat, most of the time when we feel thirsty we are actually thirsty but as our bodies react to the hunger sensation quicker than the thirsty one our bodies will send the hungry message. .. 5. Try and drink 2 litres of water a day.... 6. Strawberries, walnuts and almonds are all great snacks AND they are appetite suppressants... 7. Celery and carrot sticks make good snacks...

If you want there is a pretty intense kick start diet the CSIRO invented to give any weigh loss diet a boost at the start. (The CSIRO are the ones who invented myxo but don't you let that put you off).. If your interested I'll hunt it out and post it... Its for a week or 10 days from memory.

I'm not going to wish you luck because you can do this, no probs... and you can still have the occasional KK...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wee fluffy, you're a rare breed indeed having been able to eat whatever you want and your weight staying stable at a place you're comfortable.  It sounds like you've earned those extra pounds and all you'll need to do is cut back on the doughnuts and whatever else extra you've been eating and you'll get back to your fighting weight. But I implore you, please don't do any drastic dieting. You've got a healthy metabolism and it would be a shame to screw it up.  Dieting will do that!  As you've probably seen, it's very normal to gain some when you quit the smokes so don't panic.  Your weight will level out again- just don't keep compensating for something (cravings) that's not even there anymore. As far as exercising goes, there are great benefits to it but as long as you're active, you'll be fine.  In my experience, weight is so much more about what you eat than how much you exercise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My advice is this: start tracking your caloric intake.  If you don't change anything immediately, that's fine.  Just track your intake for a few days.  Evaluate that and decide where changes can be made for the positive.  Pick an area (for example: the aforementioned doughnuts) and start to make changes there.  Don't try to change everything at once.  Crash diets typically crash and burn.  Small changes over time is where you will find success.

Tracking can be annoying.  Calorie counting is a pain in the ass.  Once you have a better idea of exactly where you are, you can leave both tools behind and start eating healthy intuitively.

As for the exercise, think about any physical activities that you enjoy doing and do those more often.  

• Like 6

The few pounds I gained at the beginning..came off naturally around the 14 month mark...

Make sure the snacks are healthy ones...and carry on exercising... It should even itself out.....

Of course when I had my gallstones trouble ..my diet was beetroot and lettuce...I dropped so much weight.....that's not healthy either..

I'm now back to my normal weight for me..4 ft 11...8 St ....every extra pounds shows when your a short arse ....

I try to make sure my plate is 3 quarters vegetables...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Boo said:

My advice is this: start tracking your caloric intake.  If you don't change anything immediately, that's fine.  Just track your intake for a few days.  Evaluate that and decide where changes can be made for the positive.  Pick an area (for example: the aforementioned doughnuts) and start to make changes there.  Don't try to change everything at once.  Crash diets typically crash and burn.  Small changes over time is where you will find success.

Tracking can be annoying.  Calorie counting is a pain in the ass.  Once you have a better idea of exactly where you are, you can leave both tools behind and start eating healthy intuitively.

As for the exercise, think about any physical activities that you enjoy doing and do those more often.  

Agree with this 100%.

I'd shifted excess weight years before and was 9st too when I quit and shot up to 11 fairly quickly. I hit up my fitness pal which is a free calorie counting app and soon learnt what good treats and bad treats balanced each other out.  Like Boo says, try it for a while and see how it goes just watching what it is you're doing. Add me if you want some support martibaxter (all lower case). x

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for the great advice..  I've started with the water already as I didn't realise that my gallons of coffee a day do not count as fluid intake..!! ?(I now run to the loo every 5 mins, more exercise yay)

Not going down the road of a diet as I know I couldn't stick to it, the mere thought of denying myself sets me up to fail, learned that one the hard way with my many quits...!! so will work my way to changing my eating habits .. just trying to work this calorie thing out  but it's got me baffled..

My chewy sweeties, the ones my brain think I need to keep my quit say 

Energy 1387kj/327kcal fat 3.2g per 100g  and a 37g pack  does that mean if I eat a whole pack I'm using roughly 150calories or am I way off mark ??

Edited by Wee fluffy me

I should add for anybody reading this who is thinking of quitting or is in early stages of quit and reading this worries them, this was not my I intention ..

I am 5ft7" (I was 5ft 7.5 but apparently I'm shrinking..!!)

I am still within recomended guidelines for my weight,  I have just never had to watch what I eat and have been way, way overeating all the wrong things kidding myself I need it to keep my quit when I honestly don't, quitting smoking was the best decision I have ever made and nothing will make me go back to it..?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Well if ya wanna be technical its 120.99cal for a 37g pack. (I just divided the cal by 100 then multiplied by 37)

I honestly think there is some great advice here but @Boo was spot on the mark.

Thanks Jo..  just need to get into the way of being more aware of what I put in my gub..

Now off to see what's in my coffee, are there even any calories in coffee??

Oh and haven't had a doughnut since last Tues had melon on Fri instead (Not quite the same)

** @notsmokinjo, your back..???

Edited by Wee fluffy me
  • Like 1

See the my fitness pal app its brilliant because you can scan the barcodes and it tells you exactly how many calories. 

I preferred the 5 2 diet as only had to be strict and 'count calories' two days a week. But i know you dont want to do a diet per say.

No cals in black coffee thats what i used to drink on my fast days. I think with splash of milk around 30 cals.

Im going to make a big pot of soup tonight then if i get hungry have a wee mug. That fills you up and is healthy and tasty. 

My plan this week - no crisps, chocolate or booze. Let us know what youre doing fluffy are you cutting out the beloved donuts??!! 

• Thanks 1

I'll have a wee look at the app Weegie..

Yep no krispy Kreme salted caramel this week..and need to watch at work my break is quite early so have lunch about 11 then by time I'm coming home about 3 I am totally starvin so was either buyin a sandwich or something tasty from greggs (ended up having 2 lunches) or gettin a coffee & doughnut, where as before a coffee and a fag or 2 would have done just fine..!!

• Like 1

@WeegieWoman, i got the app..

Apparently due to my age etc I should have 1,390 calories a day... 

This is gonna be interesting..

Wish me luck.. haha 

P.S.

I used them all up by 3.30 ?  but a very good friend gave me 2 cupcakes a red velvet and a double chocolate to celebrate my quitiversary and it would have been rude not to hoover them ..!!?

Edited by Wee fluffy me
  • Like 4

Witttttttt 1390 sounds so low. Every wee walk you do you can put into it and that gains you calories. Or just kinda cheat and use it as a guideline like i do ? ive already screwed my plan ive got a bottle of wine....

You have some sweet tooth fluffy i dont think i could eat two cup cakes in succession....crisps on the other hand nay bother 

• Thanks 1

Och @Weegie I've hooked my watch up to it too well at least I think I did but would you believe I haven't had time to fill in what I ate today but gear said with its own app that I hadn't had enough calories yest so I assume it took all the walking into account.. still trying to work it out..

anyhoo talking of sweet tooth, I didn't have one until I quit. My only sweety vice was ferrero and a cheeky wee bit of Galaxy now and then, you know, you open it have a bit put it in your bag and next time you have a notion for it you get it out bag to find it's covered in uso's (unidentified sticking objects) and has grown a fur coat too..!!

Well not anymore it doesn't even make it to my bag these days..?

Edited by Wee fluffy me
  • Like 2

Since quitting smoking and going through menopause, my metabolism has come to a screeching halt!  Calories in/calories out (or calorie counting) no longer works for me, even when I exercise a lot.  The only thing that does seem to work, and what I am using to lose my quit weight, is a low carb diet along with intermittent fasting.  Dr. Jason Fung has a lot of videos on Youtube about this approach.  He also has two books on the subject (The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting).  I'm very slowly losing weight.

Some men say that I look good (liars!!!) but I can't fit into most of my clothes and I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe.  I feel better about myself when I am thin and that is what I have been for most of my life.

Hope you find what works for you, Wee!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many similarities Wee me. For most of my life I never had to  give a thought to what I ate. I seemed to stay the same year after year. At some point it changed and caught me off guard, because the weight was gained so slowly. I wanted it off but did not think that I would be successful changing the type of things that I liked to eat. I got real familiar with the calories associated with the stuff I ate and instead of changing what I ate, I simply ate less of it. I could still indulge on my heavy calorie sausage, burgers and the other things that would actually satisfy my body so I did not feel hungry or deprived. It worked well for me. I lost about 40 pounds and it stayed that way for a long time until I quit smoking. At some point I will have to deal with the quit smoking weight and sweet tooth that developed from the quit. My pants buttons are also getting unfamiliar with their button holes.

• Like 1

I seriously can't work out this calorie stuff @Joe7 but I've cut right back on my sweet stuff and amount I'm eating trying not to eat between meals and drink water instead like Jo suggested but damn I just end up totally starvin and drooling over the wrong type of food.. suppose it's all about self control after telling myself for that long you can have whatever you want as long as you don't smoke..?

• Like 1

Do you track your calories? My fitness pal is a good ap to use if not....you should keep some sort of record to accurately show what you are eating in a day to see what you may need to change. The key partially to lose weight is to eat at least 500 calories less than you need to maintain. For example if you wanted to maintain a weight of 160 you would need to eat 1600 calories a day. But if you want to reach 140 and weigh 160 you should eat about 1400 calories a day. That is simplistic but it may help you idk. Eating less than your maintainence calories will help weight loss.

Lisa

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the app but it's finding the time to fill it in and when I do think I'd doing it wrong because it says I'm way, way , way over.. so have just been trying to cut back on rubbish (doughnuts) eating fruit instead most times anyhoo weighed myself today (just do it monthly) and I haven't lost anything but I haven't gained anything either I'm exactly the same as I was 1 month ago 11st/154lb/69kg 

So I reckon that's good news, I must be doing something right now to keep it going only cutting back more..

Honestly I was terrified what the scales were gonna say cos every other time they have went up and up and up..?

** Oh and I am sure the bunnie onesie sweated a few doughnuts of last Friday ???**

Edited by Wee fluffy me
  • Like 2