Starting NOW!

clarosa

I got a heavy dose of tell-it-like-it-is on another board and immediately felt attacked and not supported BUT... In retrospect, maybe I just wasn't ready to hear the truth or maybe I needed a little love and encouragement. I don't know why I am mentioning it, perhaps its irrelevant. I've had my last cigarette and I know what I am in for because the last few days I have failed. I have scavenged, I have cried and I have smoked. I know it's not impossible but I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge my self-doubt. I know a positive attitude is key but I'm having a hard time with that right now. Im down from 10 cigarettes a day to 2 but I know that that is not good enough. It has to be no cigarettes ever. 

I have quit before. I have a year smoke free here and there but I always think "i can smoke just  one." We all know that is not true. So I am starting over, starting now. NOPE!

• Like 2

Welcome clarosa.  Self doubt is pretty common in the early going.  I know that I had to get really mad at smoking and the terrible things it was doing to my mind and body in order to combat it.  When cravings or uncertainty crept in I would say "F%@k you smoking!  I'm stronger than you and worth the fight.  After a while, the cravings come to realize that they're not going to win and start to diminish.

You're right that you can't regulate smoking or just have one as a reward.  Stick around here and learn all you can.  I'm sure you'll find there are many people who want to support you.  Congrats on tackling day one!   

• Like 2

You cant have just one and some always learn the hard way like myself. Some people easily fall into depression so tell it like it is for those types will only make them reach for one even more. You have to be ready, you have to analyze yourself and why you actually smoke. If you read and educate yourself about the addiction it's really helpful especially when it clicks.  If you're ready, good luck

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Clarosa...

As addicts there is no such thing as one ...

Knowledge ...this is the way you fight the nico monster... Outsmart it....

Read ,read ,...watch the videos....

You can do it...you just have to want it ...bad enough...

Stay close !!!!

• Like 3

Hi Clarosa :)

A lot of good advice already. You seem to know what you need to do now, it's just the actually doing it, which is always the hard part.

Quitting is tough for most. Knowledge about this addiction and how it acts on us both mentally and physically is very important to being able to over come it. That and a determined effort on your part as well as support from others doing the same thing.

When you bring all these things together, it's a winning combination :)

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch to all of you. I know that I am going to find a lot of support here and I'm looking forward to smoke-free days ahead. I am busy identifying my triggers. I have a trigger-oriented addiction. I only smoke at home and I want them at certain intervals in the day. I can go hours without smoking but now that I have quit, it is all I can think about. I can't stay away from house but I can find other activities. So that is what I am going to do, I have already read some great suggestions. I think I will make good use of the SOS board!!!

• Like 2

Clarosa, one important thing to remember is that everyone here will have their own different experience of what has worked for them. You won't necessarily like all the advice given, nor necessarily how it is delivered. Remember though this is your quit, take what is useful to you and the rest, well you set it aside. Anyone who takes time to share something is demonstrating they care whether, just maybe in a different way to what we are ready for.

Be strong and go for it. We're willing you on!

Edited by Sslip
  • Like 5

Welcome Clarosa, sslip's advice is dead on. Take what you need and leave the rest. Some of us may do tough love but it's only because we care about helping you beat this addiction :)

• Like 2

Clarosa, you are so brave to come to a social forum after feeling attacked somewhere similar.  I, too, was a member of another forum before joining up here.  I can tell you that I LOVED my previous group, but there were times that I felt criticized for my thoughts.  Or huge on-line wars of words would be waged between members who maybe disagreed on the "best" and/or "worst" ways to quit.  

On that, I can share three thoughts:

1.) I have seen nothing but complete acceptance and total support by the wonderful members of this board. 

2.) There ain't no such thing as a bad way to quit.

3.) These types of quit smoking forums are frequented by addicts like us who are usually in the throes of withdrawal or some other emotional side-effect of kicking the habit... so there's bound to be the occasional misunderstanding or harsh word.  Try not to let it get to you.

You sound like you really, really want this quit to be successful.  Stay close to this forum, and I am confident you will win this one!  

• Like 5

Welcome Clarosa.  There has been a lot of good advice given to you here.  Just realize we are not here to judge, we are here to give any support needed to help you on this journey.  Just reach out as you need and we will be here to help you through this quit, you can do it.  And do remember to NOPE everyday it really does help.  

• Like 1

cutting back for my last few days of smoking was how I managed. Went fro 30 a day to 3 a day. Figured if i can survive on only three, I can survive on none.

As far as your triggers being mostly at home, here is one thing you might do to fill time -

Just start going on a serious cleaning spree. Get rid of as much tobacco smell as you can from walls, furniture, etc.

• Like 1

Welcome Clarosa, lots of great advice given to you, and I agree with it all, stay close to the board , post often then post some more :)

join in the games, nope daily, read lots and stay determined, if you want it badly you can do it.

looking forward to seeing you around the board :1_grinning:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Clarosa.

10 hours ago, clarosa said:

I know it's not impossible but I would be lying if I didn't acknowledge my self-doubt. I know a positive attitude is key but I'm having a hard time with that right now.

Self doubt is to be expected when making a major change in your life and the prospect of trying to maintain a positive attitude at all times is an exercise in futility.

If the doubt creeps in, it creeps in.  If you're not in a positive mindset, so be it.  Just commit to not smoking.  That is all you have to do to be successful with this process.

10 hours ago, clarosa said:

So I am starting over, starting now. NOPE!

There you go.  Onward and upward.

• Like 5

Welcome clarosa!

While I quit cold turkey and may have more insight into a cold turkey quit than other methods,

it is obvious that there is No Wrong Way to quit smoking.

Quitting addiction is serious business and one of the best decisions you can make.

Learn all you can, reward yourself and have some fun, you are on a splendid journey that will reward you immeasurably.

Congratulations.

• Like 2