First Day I Think

Miss Vee

Hi Everyone!! 

So today is my first quit day, but I'm wearing a patch. Even with the nicotine being pushed through it was a hard day. Morning was great, afternoon not so much. Is it still quitting if I'm on the patch? And is it normal to still crave a smoke? Kinda feel a bit confused. 

• Like 6

As far as I am concerned if your not putting a smoke in your mouth you have quit, patches are an aid to assist you. Here's a very loose analogy, if you are dyslexic and use voice to text software are you really writing your essays?... Of course you are, just with an aid. Keep up the great work you have put in so far today. And welcome.

Congratulations for making the choice, to take the challenge to live the change... My 3 c's. 

I haven't used patches so can't tell you if the craves are normal but someone will have.

• Like 3

Welcome Miss Vee and congrats on your quitting.  There are those that have used NRT (patches, gum, medicine) and those that go cold turkey.  The main thing is to stop smoking, if you need to use the patch to help you get through the quit then that is good for you.  I went cold turkey but those close to me that used NRT did have cravings for a cig.  Your getting the nicotine slowly through the patch so you will have some cravings.  Whatever you need to use from lighting up and having a smoke is a move in the right direction.  

• Like 2

Welcome miss Vee and congratulations on taking back your life :) Your quit began the moment you put out that last cigarette. Nrt's are a great way to help take the edge off and we've got many successful members here who also used them so don't feel like you're cheating or not really quit. 

Craves unfortunately are still normal in the first days, weeks even months of your quit regardless if you're using patches or not. The great thing though is that each time you get past one it gets weaker and you get stronger. 

• Like 3

Oh I should have said I did use NRT gum. I have been nicotine free since week 9. When I had the gum I still got craves but when I get craves now it's usually an emotional thing and nothing like what I had while still using the gum.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 2

I get your feelings of wondering if it is a a real quit, I felt that at times too. It is most definitely a real quit sweetie, get rid of those silly thoughts that its not, or that tour cheating, or that someone using another method to quit is better than you cos here's a news flash... All quits are different, your quit is what works for you when just make sure no more smokes.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard Miss Vee.

2 hours ago, Miss Vee said:

Is it still quitting if I'm on the patch? 

Absolutely.  You used to smoke.  Now you don't.  Looks like a quit to me.

Congratulations on becoming a nonsmoker.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome aboard.. This fabulous train..

Take a window seat!!!..the view is amazing...we have had many a traveller use the patches...

Stick to the programme....

Read all you can here..watch all joels videos...there is so much information go help you along..

Join in on the daily pledge..it really does help..

Stay close. Post often..you are amongst friends..who will support you all the way 

8 hours ago, Miss Vee said:

Hi Everyone!! 

So today is my first quit day, but I'm wearing a patch. Even with the nicotine being pushed through it was a hard day. Morning was great, afternoon not so much. Is it still quitting if I'm on the patch? And is it normal to still crave a smoke? Kinda feel a bit confused. 

Welcome!

Yes, you're still quit if you're on the patch!  The goal is to get off of nicotine completely and as quickly as possible.  This is a drug addiction so it's very important that we keep nicotine out of our bodies.  Once you quit the patch, you'll still go through some withdrawals, which you're delaying by using the patch.  However, you're not smoking so that is key right now.  Please just plan on getting off the patch as soon as you can so you can put an end to the cravings sooner than later.  :)

Of course it's normal to crave a smoke but the more time you put in, the craves will diminish and eventually go away altogether.

• Like 2

Hi Miss Vee and congratulations on quitting! You’ve got lots of good thoughts and guidance above. Reading about quitting to gain understanding of what’s happening and asking for help and support when you need are the things that help most. It will get easier. Congrats again on YOUR quit. 

Hi Miss Vee, glad to meet you. You have made the best decision ever to quit smoking - I think you will be amazed at how much better your health and life will be as a nonsmoker.

Please spend as much time as you can either watching videos or reading all about the addiction. It is important for us to totally understand the reasons behind NOPE (Not One Puff Ever). And stay close to the board and post often, it really helps in your early days and weeks.

Welcome aboard.

Lots of great advice above and see how much support you are getting in a place like this? That's also a great tool for you in your quit too :)

Be sure to spend as much time here reading all you can about this addiction. Knowledge about this addiction and how if works will be the most important tool in helping you quit. You will still have to do some heavy lifting during your journey whether you use an NRT product or not. That's just part of the deal but the rewards you will get are well worth the effort. Stick around this place. It will be good for you to relate to other quitters.

• Like 1