What are you all reading ??????

Doreensfree

On 6/28/2018 at 8:46 PM, garry mhudson said:

Thumbs up on the Guy Clark and George Will. Loved both of them. Boo, if you enjoy biographical books about musician/songwriters, you might try "I Scare Myself" by Dan Hicks or "The Band: Pioneers of American Music".

Thanks for the suggestions Garry.  I went ahead and ordered the hardcover version of "The Band: Pioneers of Americana Music."

I have a lazy Saturday night planned, may fire up "The Last Waltz" and watch that one more time.

• Like 2

Re-reading "A Fortunate Life" by AB Facey because sometimes you need that reminder that regardless of what comes down the pipes in your life there is always a silver lining and if AB Facing can call his life fortunate then there is no reason I can't say the same of mine.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

For those who like music history from the 1950`s and 1960`s check out:

Here` There And Everywhere: My life Recording The Beatles

Geoff Emerick (did most of the engineering after Rubber Soul and assisted from the very early days)

Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock n Roll

Peter Guralnick (Good info on the early days of Sun Records in Memphis)

The Wrecking Crew

Kent Hartman

The "Funk Brothers" of early L.A. pop oops! and sisters

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock n Roll

Peter Guralnick (Good info on the early days of Sun Records in Memphis)

Great book.  I also enjoyed "Lost Highway" and "Last Train to Memphis" by Guralnick.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Mac#23 said:

I've never heard of the author George Will. I just researched the book " Men at Work: The craft of baseball" and it sounds really interesting. I think I just might buy it for my kindle.

George Will is mostly known as a political commentator, but he also has a deep understanding and appreciation for the game of baseball.  "Men at Work" is a good read for any fan of the game.  

In lieu of any baseball being played right now, I suppose reading some books about baseball will have to suffice.  I've read "The Summer Game" and "Five Seasons" by Roger Angell.  I enjoyed both of those books.  So I will probably check out "Season Ticket" next.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Our Final Warning:  Six Degrees of Climate Emergency

by Mark Lynas

This is a grim read that covers in excruciating detail what will happen to the planet and it's ecosystems with each additional degree of average warming.

This...isn't light reading.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Boo said:

My reading list these days is filled with lighter fare.

image.png.e61f532702bdd41abdcde00443cd3535.png

image.png.dbb663970d44f99f33d6561a804c5e3f.png

Oh Boo.  Sometimes I wish I could be a mouse in the corner.  That little girl has softened that heart.  A daddy that would do anything for his little girl.  I definitely want a picture posted when you start doing the tea parties!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of my more favorite reads are all of the old original fairy tales and I'm not afraid to admit it. Hans Christian Anderson is a favorite of mine. I love his short stories.

There were so much in the old stories like Cinderella (who apparentally got the name Cinder-wench from hanging out under the cinders while cleaning the floor all day) that have so many interesting differences from what we're used to AND they completely left out the lizards from what I can remember.

We probably wouldn't read them all to our children today, as some like Bluebeard are so gruesome. It's like a horror and led to an awkward conversation at bedtime when I was reading from an OLD collection (1800s) of childrens stories. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've been listening to James McMurtry's "The Horses and the Hounds" a lot recently.  One of my favorite albums of 2021.  James is the son of legendary author Larry McMurtry.

One thing leads to another and I've decided to re-read the Lonesome Dove series in chronological order.  I'm about halfway through "Dead Man's Walk" and I remember why I liked those books so much in the first place.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Boo, I have never read the books of Larry McMurtry.  I have been a big watcher of his movies thru my husband and our best friend.  I will admit that I am in love with Gus McCrea and Woodrow Call. My husband and our best friend have now passed.  I have their ashes here with me. I have to make a decision on what to do at some point I need to spread their ashes.  I live about 20 minutes away from Lonesome Dove Road.  We travelled the road often as teenagers.  I think that might be the most poetic place to have my son spread all of out ashes once I pass. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kris said:

@Boo, I have never read the books of Larry McMurtry.  I have been a big watcher of his movies thru my husband and our best friend.  I will admit that I am in love with Gus McCrea and Woodrow Call. 

Far too often, the movie adaptation of a book is ruined by terrible casting.

Lonesome Dove nailed it.  Robert Duvall as Gus and Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow was perfect casting.  In fact, most everything about that series was perfect.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:31 PM, Boo said:

One thing leads to another and I've decided to re-read the Lonesome Dove series in chronological order.  I'm about halfway through "Dead Man's Walk" and I remember why I liked those books so much in the first place.

Finished Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon.  Just started reading Lonesome Dove again...Feels a bit like talking to an old friend.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm currently reading Anxious People by Frederik Backman.

I recently borrowed Turtles All The Way Down by John Green.

I purchased Animal Farm, 1984, and The Day of the Triffids because I'm trying to read more dystopia fiction. I've already read Animal Farm, but it has been years.

I started reading Catherine House, but  probably going to abandon that one.

• Like 1