Day 2

I seem to remember the second or third day being tougher than the first. It's as if the excitement and motivation of the first day just dissipates and it becomes easier to lose your determination.

Not today.

Gotta be extra vigilant today. Going out to brunch for my friend's birthday soon. It's a drag show (I have no idea why she chose this) and there will likely be drinking. Gonna be a tough one.

But, I gotta say, I LOVE that this site is more mobile friendly than where I used to post. It puts my support system right there with me wherever I go!

• Like 3

The first days and quits in general,  can be wildly different for everybody

and wildly different hour to hour, day to day...etc.

Gather strength from good days and more strength by powering through difficult days.

Understand that unexpected craves may surprise you for a nanosecond but, never win you over.

You are a non smoker.  Congratulations.

Reward yourself !!!

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, WeegieWoman said:

I love your positivity sunny and you seem to know exactly what you need to do to do this! Good for you! NOPE 

Thank you for the vote of confidence. If only I'd known exactly how to not smoke after a five year quit, I wouldn't be in this boat again.

Still kicking myself for this relapse, but determined to put the last eight months of smoking behind me.

I'm so thankful for this group. I would not have been successful last time without it, and I have every intention of learning on you all this time. And, paying it forward if I'm able.

• Like 2

Ugh. Posting through a tough one. Twizzlers in my fingers. Deep breaths. Took birthday girl outside so she can have a smoke break... (ironically, the ones I gave her earlier)... dang. This is just tempting the addiction. This sucks. A lot right now. Just a few more minutes... yes, I already feel the craving passing. I'll continue posting through these. Apologies if I become a pest. I did it though. Didn't smoke. Enable Beast Mode. I WILL NOT SMOKE TODAY.

• Like 3

The craves can be brutal Sunny but they usually don’t last more than 20 Minutes....usually way less. It’s not easy! I have to distract myself or chew gum like mad. BUT they go away thankfully. Just keep on resisting. Every morning I wake up & say “I don’t smoke anymore” so when the craves come at me I find a different reason for them (whatever it takes) & a different way to cope with them. They pass. Hang on! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TravellingSunny said:

Oh, sweet baby Jesus! Either a Twizzler OR deep breathing. Not both at the same time. (Choke hazard. Oops.)

Don’t choke!!! I sometimes wonder if I will get TMJ from chewing gum so hard lol! But it works...so I’ll take the chance! Just keep posting...no one here minds in the least ?

Edited by Tyme2B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have to leave the party Sunny, just leave. Your quit is fragile and won't be there tomorrow if you give in. Your friends will always be there for you. Breathe deep. Walk around the block. Or make your apologies and leave. Whatever you need to do to not smoke. You can do this.

Edited by Lin-quitting
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lin-quitting said:

If you have to leave the party Sunny, just leave. Your quit is fragile and won't be there tomorrow if you give in. Your friends will always be there for you. Breathe deep. Walk around the block. Or make your apologies and leave. Whatever you need to do to not smoke. You can do this.

Great advice that I would have DEFINITELY followed if it got too tough. And my friends would have totally understood and supported me

But, I'm glad that I stuck it out. It's not every day that your very best friend has a birthday, and one of the (many) reasons I want to quit is so I'm not missing stuff (which always seemed to happen when I stepped out for a smoke break.) LOL!

• Like 1

Hats off to you sunny. Thats big firsts you have just overcome as a non smoker. I was the same i did not avoid nights out early in my quit and im smashing it. It sounds like your mind is firmly made up you are now a non smoker. Its just a case of racking up the days now. Youre doing everything right so just keep going and keep posting 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, WeegieWoman said:

It sounds like your mind is firmly made up you are now a non smoker. Its just a case of racking up the days now. Youre doing everything right so just keep going and keep posting 

Man, I wish I felt half as confident as my posts sound. LOL! I'm still uncomfortable all the dang time. And, I keep having thoughts like "You're not REALLY ready to quit" and "You were successful for 5 years, so this oughtta be easy peasy" and "I should just have one in the mornings" and all sorts of other similar addictionny stuff.

Hopefully, the habits I developed as a non-smoker will kick in soon. In the meantime, I'll just keep NOPEing and finding something else to do.

Boredom is a dangerous thing for me right now. I can't quite relax into this quit yet.

• Like 1

Get reading then sunny. I read endlessly in the beginning, particuarly about the harm smoking does but also how the body repairs itself. I just totally drilled that into my head, kept reiterating it over and over. Numerous different versions of the same info. That helped me and kept me occupied. And keep blogging too. Sharing your story will help you but also others. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good job Sunny, I'm happy you made it through another day smoke free. I'm like Weegie, in my early months I just read and read and read, hours a day, anything and everything I could find about quitting. It relieved the boredom and gave me ammunition in the fight. There's a lot of educational and motivational stuff to be found here and all over online.

• Like 1