Does 420 re-ignite tobacco habit?

JB 883

A few times in life I have smoked a joint or two. Not a habit by any means.

Anyways, if someone quit smoking tobacco but tried a joint, would it cause someone to have strong urges for tobacco again?

I think that would be my main concern if offered a joint.

• Like 1

There's no tobacco in pot, so it won't trigger the physical cravings... but the mental connections (putting stuff in your mouth and lighting it on fire, inhaling smoke, etc.) could be an issue. If you're early in your quit, I don't recommend it.

• Like 1

I can’t put anything that you light up near my mouth...nothing! If I wreck this Quit I’ll be wishing I had lit a stick of dynamite...I am just resigned to NO lighting up ever again now. I just wake up every morning & say “I don’t smoke” then get on with my day. It’s a bit depressing, like losing an old friend, but I am relieved to be free of this toxic friendship. Nope, I can’t light up anything that might reinforce the old habit JB. Maybe some can but I’m not one of them. 

Edited by Tyme2B
  • Like 1

There were a couple of reasons I began smoking, both in the military.  Smoking a cig was used (by me) as a replacement to smoking a joint when I could not partake toking on a joint so to me YES it would trigger a crave.

• Like 1

sometimes cannabis is mixed with tobacco in joints. i would avoid those as well as smoking anything early in the quit. The same with alcohol. After that it is a personal decision but one does have to be careful at first if it triggers urges to smoke cigs.

• Like 4

^ i agree with onthemark and i'll add you just dont have to smoke 420... You can eat it with same result, special cookies/brownies also there is a show on Viceland (vice) called bong appetit. Check it out for some cooking ideas

• Like 1

I would agree with Whispers that edibles would be the way to go. We have to break all those old habit brain pathways that made us think smoking was pleasurable. We have to learn as an absolute truth: Don't Set Things on Fire and Put Them in Your Mouth.

420 relieves my arthritis, lightens my mood, inspires any work I choose to do and generally helps me to be a much nicer person.

When first quit, smoking herb did trigger a crave for cigarettes.

This is because everything I ever did, triggered a crave for cigarettes

and

I would always light up after I was lit

but, I powered through, lol, and kept my quit.

I try to smoke in a ceremonial way and try not to be careless or casual about it. I was careless and casual about nicotine.

Personally, I don't care for the high of edibles but, may experiment more as the legalities work themselves out. 

My state is still in it's 'reefer madness' stage but, I am SO glad the world is changing for the better, at least in this instance.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

420 relieves my arthritis, lightens my mood, inspires any work I choose to do and generally helps me to be a much nicer person.

When first quit, smoking herb did trigger a crave for cigarettes.

This is because everything I ever did, triggered a crave for cigarettes

and

I would always light up after I was lit

but, I powered through, lol, and kept my quit.

I try to smoke in a ceremonial way and try not to be careless or casual about it. I was careless and casual about nicotine.

Personally, I don't care for the high of edibles but, may experiment more as the legalities work themselves out. 

My state is still in it's 'reefer madness' stage but, I am SO glad the world is changing for the better, at least in this instance.

Life isnt easy for any of us, we all hit our point. Something to take the edge off in moderation, only problem i ever had was knowing my limit. I learned the hard way and do my best each day to never forget that

17 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Life isnt easy for any of us, we all hit our point. Something to take the edge off in moderation, only problem i ever had was knowing my limit. I learned the hard way and do my best each day to never forget that

Moderation had never been my forte yet, I am admirably moderate with the blessed herb,

not so moderate with alcohol and was immodestly immoderate with nicotine.

Luckily, I never had serious injuries that required too many doses of other substances 

and they never grabbed my attention on the street or in the clubs.

You are right, Whisp, I do my best to never forget either, addiction doesn't go away.

Pot and Tobacco have always seemed so separate for me, even though I often put tobacco in my joints. I like smoking herb by itself even more, so I really don't want tobacco tainting it now. That said, I buy my own and usually smoke out of a little water pipe rather than joints so I don't find that triggering. And if someone was passing a joint around with tobacco in it I would not have a hit. I would say it just depends on you, my friend. 

• Like 1