1% Pledge

notsmokinjo

So I've been watching a lot of Joel's videos lately and I watched the one about NRT gum... here's the thing, it actually made me feel pretty cruddy about my quit, I have even had a few why bother moments since watching... because the video tells me statistics say only 1% of people who quit using NRT gum are successful. Watched the video more than once. Still felt like I was riding a race on a dead horse. I have been pretty down with myself and my quit since watching it... and then you know what, I had a chat with a 'mate' about being on a rebound quit and I had a chat with another mate that made me think about things and my attitude and you know what... stuff what the percentages say.. if they say that its 1% of people that use gum who have a successful quit then I'm going to be part of that 1%. Stuff what the statistics say, I am not going to toss away my quit because some statistic says the probability is it wont work because I used NRT gum. No bit of mathematical manipulation is going to influence me to toss away this quit. This quit is the one. So as Mark Twain said, "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable". Well here's a fact for you, I'm one stubborn arse cow and I'm not scarred of a statistic. So the statistic said 1% of quitters who use NRT have a successful quit... I call bull shit ... and even if it is true, you know what I'm going to be part of that 1%. And now, not only am I going to do it to say FU to a statistic and prove it wrong BUT I have to do it because I just made this public declaration.

So my fellow travelers let the record state this is my last quit because I am not tossing it away for anything.

Edit: You know what, I haven't just used NRT gum on this quit, I've used research, and knowledge, and the support of a pretty amazing group of fellow travellers through the journey to or in freedom. And here's a statistic for you, 100% of people who take up eating die. Or to quote Scotty Bowman "Statistics are for losers".

Edit #2: This post isn't a stab at Joel as I get a lot out of his videos, this one just didn't help me.. might have been different if I had seen it before the quit... and coupled with some other things it was a trigger.

Edited by notsmokinjo
cos my rant wasn't over yet
  • Like 10

Whoop whoop... Cheers... Whistles  ... Applause .. Tannoy announcement.. "Would @notsmokinjoplease take centre stage for her standing ovation " rapturous applause  ????????????? 

You had me worried at the start of that now I'm welling up.. I feel ya Jo, I feel ya ?and yep you are " one stubborn arsed coo"  and that's exactly why you got this my friend cos, nobody buy nobody makes oor Jo a statistic.. xx

Edited by Wee fluffy me
Just checking I put ovation and not ovulation as it could all get a bit messy??
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure if you will see this or not because we typically disagree but -

First of all, know that Joel has never used tobacco in his life so he doesn't know first hand what an addict goes through.

That is to say, it is better to listen to actual addicts (like everyone on this board)

Also - statistics don't mean a hell of a lot. You know how often they will LIE about things to get you to fail and hopefully buy their B.S. product or whatever?

You are no longer a smoker. For my money, I would gamble that even when you do get off the gum, you will NOT relapse. You may have some nicotine withdrawals but i doubt the urge to smoke will be any stronger than what it is right now.

Your quit is coming up on FIVE months. There is no way in hell you are going to start smoking again, NRT or not.

Breaking the smoking habit itself is worse than nicotine W/D. We all know smoking is more than just a nicotine addiction - it is a complete habit, routine, etc.

And you know you have layed that habit dormant.

You know what Jo? You are strong enough to KTQ regardless of some "statistic" that says otherwise. Don't even worry about starting up because you know you have no desire and you have made it through the three day, week, AND month battles.

If you ARE worried that cigarettes will creep back in, remember this at least - since you broke the smoking habit, you have the time right now to plan the next battle should there be one if you quit gum. You got this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have been NRT gum free since week 9, so I have been nicotine free since then. So I have now been quit longer without it than I have with it. I have also thrown away a really long quit with one puff so I have history of not being too good at this. That said this quit is already different than the other one. I don't miss it, most of the time I don't even thing about it anymore. I am already in psychologically more stable place than I ever was that other time.

I don't have any issues taking advice about addiction from someone who has never had a puff in his life. I take advice about my physio therapy from someone who has never had the injuries I have. I take advice about my girl bits and their plumbing from a male gyno and I can guarantee he's never been where I have. Why should addiction advice from someone who has never smoked be any different. Some of his videos don't resonate and some do I take what I need. This was just a case of the wrong info at the wrong time with the wrong outlook on things combining to make my quit shaky. Surprisingly once a purged my vent and let it out not so shaky now, back to confident, just a tad less cocky.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 8

Ranting is divine...one of my favorite quitting tools!

By the statistics I've gathered (I'm so scientific) there is a super high statistic number (that I choose not to reveal) that says with the help of a quit smoking forum (for

ranting, crying, SOSing, etc...) we will overcome this nasty addiction!

It doesn't hurt that you are strong & committed! smileys-hearts-646547.gif

KTQ

Edited by beazel
because the spacing was off by no fault of my own
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, notsmokinjo said:

I have been NRT gum free since week 9, so I have been nicotine free since then. So I have now been quit longer without it than I have with it. I have also thrown away a really long quit with one puff so I have history of not being too good at this. That said this quit is already different than the other one. I don't miss it, most of the time I don't even thing about it anymore. I am already in psychologically more stable place than I ever was that other time.

I don't have any issues taking advice about addiction from someone who has never had a puff in his life. I take advice about my physio therapy from someone who has never had the injuries I have. I take advice about my girl bits and their plumbing from a male gyno and I can guarantee he's never been where I have. Why should addiction advice from someone who has never smoked be any different. Some of his videos don't resonate and some do I take what I need. This was just a case of the wrong info at the wrong time with the wrong outlook on things combining to make my quit shaky. Surprisingly once a purged my vent and let it out not so shaky now, back to confident, just a tad less cocky.

You have a fine and sturdy quit going, jo, and a support group that adores you (count me in).

Rail, flail, rant and rave on.

I am relieved to hear you are 'back to confident',  where we all can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Ahh alright. So right now you are using no nicotine, period. Excellent!

Perhaps what separates this quit from the rest - Likely your last Quit on Nov 28th was the one you truly wanted. The scale finally tipped and you wanted to quit more than you wanted to keep smoking. Some of us do have a history of relapse. I have had plenty of "four hour quits" in the past. Back in 04 or 05 I had a three week quit. "Just one won't hurt".

I think what happens with anything difficult is that when we hear or read about failure rates or obstacles, it is discouraging. It is like, "Oh geez thanks for the vote of confidence". But you have one better than some vlogger or article on the web - your OWN vote. You decided you can do this and you are doing it.

With taking advice from someone without first hand experience -

People have different outlooks but for me, I prefer talking to someone who has "been there" with whatever I am trying to accomplish. Most important - anything that helps should be sought.

• Like 3

Statistics -- When I took my 2 required stat classes in college my instructor included in his intro "how to manipulate the truth with numbers".  If you read all the statistics on quitting, NRT or not, it shows that we basically do not have a chance. Well to all that I agree with you, pure BS.  Seems like we all here are doing OK and I am doing it with doing my daily pledge and posting on this site using all of everybody's  motivation to go forward on this journey.  Do NOT look at the statistics, come here and vent or ask questions or just talk -- we can all Keep The Quit by working together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

I have been NRT gum free since week 9, so I have been nicotine free since then.

Ahem.... JO?  You already ARE in the 1% !  I'm pretty sure Joel is referring to the 99% of people who "try" quitting using the gum, then go straight back to smoking, or try reducing smoking with intermittent use of gum in between smokes then eventually toss the gum and keep the smokes. We all know there are tons of people who make half-azzed, lame attempts at "trying" to quit, hoping that the gum will be the magic bullet and when it turns out not to be, they're right back to smoking.  That is NOT your jam at all!  You have a solid, enviable quit going that has sustained and has helped other people to sustain theirs. You're awesome, like everyone else in the mystical 1%!!!  Wave your banner- tall and proud!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I believe in you incontinentia buttocks. Screw the statistics, i wanna see triumph in your quit. And you can do it i know you can and so do you, So lets keep marching then. I´ll be with you until the lido deck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A large number of studies over decades have shown that nicotine replacement therapy, including gum, increase the odds of quitting successfully by a factor from 1.5 to 2. I don't know where Joel is getting his numbers. See for instance the publically available Cochrane review at:

http://cochranelibrary-wiley.com/store/10.1002/14651858.CD000146.pub2/asset/CD000146.pdf?v=1&t=jg9zzsb3&s=bb7d6e63b3f1a6a11635dead60b65ef2e534aa5a

So the upshot is that I wouldn't pay too much attention to that 1% claim. Having said that my successful quit was cold turkey. It worked the best for me at the time.

Edited by onthemark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is something funny related to what Martian5 said -

So the statistics say we do not have a chance.

I remember at the start of my own quit i came across stuff that showed pretty sad chances for someone to quit smoking.

My knee-jerk thought was, "Hmm, do i need to go back to smoking so i can quit again using their "quit help" product?

Most of us around here, including nosmokinjo, are not trying to quit smoking. We already HAVE quit.

Did we do it wrong? As we go through life without tobacco, are we KTQ wrong? IS THERE a wrong way to totally quit the cancer sticks?

The point is - whatever BS there is out there saying only 1% succeed, it doesn't matter now. For many of us, the worst suffering is in the past.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the support I really do appreciate it. Many of you have made some great points and said some things that mean more than you can realise.

I think I need to point out I didn't start this as a thread to bash Joel. I actually get a lot from most of his videos. Sure he advocates the cold turkey approach and just as equally he respects anyone who has quit using other methods if that was what worked for them. In the video I was upset about it was a statistic he quoted from a study of successful quitters and what they reported it was part of an entire conversation and when I was a bit down my b1tch of a nicodemon fixed on 1% because I like numbers, they have value for me so in a dwindling supply of ammunition that was what was on repeat. It had nothing to do with Joel said... it was purely 1%... a little number and a mathematical symbol.

So I had a public dummy spit, ranted and raved and beat my little cyber fists in a public declaration. For me, just like Beazel said, that was what I needed to do to fight that little battle. Have a rant, chuck a wobbly, have a tantrum. Much better this time of night on Sunday.

Thanks again to everyone. 

11 hours ago, MrTitwank said:

I´ll be with you until the lido deck.

Wait, what? Does this mean once I'm at the Lido deck we are over?... No more spankings???

• Like 3

There is no right or wrong ..just as long you as you quit killing yourself self slowly smoking...

My dear Jo..There are many roads ,that lead to Rome...some routes are a bit longer than others... But it's all about getting there..

Your doing great...youv,e got this ...

Come here and shake your fist ,as much as you want....its allowed...x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gday

I'm not a stat..... I'm a human being.

I did champix, 2. 1/2 years I'm still quit. Regardless of the 3 month crutch  . I'm still quit.  

Pray you sleep better. Trust me I'm still loving the 8 hour sleep I get these days!

regards Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Communication from Joel regarding notsmokinjo's comments about 1% success rates using nicotine gum:

Hello everyone:

There seems to be a little bit of confusion as to what I actually have in a couple of my videos. 

I have never said that only 1% of people who use nicotine gum quit successfully. What I have said is that according to Gallup polling done in 2013, only 1% of people who have successfully quit smoking credited nicotine gum as their quitting method. Here are two videos that I have that discuss this issue:

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/whatever-you-do-dont-quit-smoking-cold-turkey/

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/gallup-poll-most-quitters-credit-cold-turkey/

Here is the direct link to the Gallup poll's page regarding the survey: 

http://news.gallup.com/poll/163763/smokers-quit-tried-multiple-times.aspx

Two other videos that I have that relate to this current discussion are 

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/i-quit-the-wrong-way/

and 

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/relapses-are-not-determined-by-how-you-quit-smoking/

Also related to discussions raised in this string is the page 

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/is-cold-turkey-the-only-way-to-quit/

for it specifically talks about the fact that some people do quit by means other than cold turkey and those people should not be made to feel that their quits are in some way diminished because of the way they did it. 

Also, regarding the use of statistics that are often quoted as to an individual's chances of quitting, check out the page 

http://whyquit.com/joels-videos/breaking-free-from-nicotines-grip-is-more-doable-than-most-people-think/.

Hope this clarifies the issues at hand.

Joel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do what you have to do to QUIT Jo. No one here is going to judge you. Personally I credit the nicotine gum for my last 6 month Quit & I did not relapse because I quit using the gum....I had stopped using it long before my relapse. I’m using it again this time. I wish so much I had the strength to Quit without using it but in my own personal case I need the help. It may be a psychological crutch but whatever it is, for me it works. I am already using the same flavour of regular gum as well...I do not want a nicotine addiction to be ongoing of course due to the gum. And I did not ever use the package directions....I only chew it if my Quit is in jeopardy.  I only chew 2 pieces of nicotine gum per day now (but I use regular gum more often) & it will soon go down to zero. I will do what I have to...it sure beats smoking. The more Quit Days I get under my belt, the easier it is not to use the nicotine gum. Everyone is different. You know yourself & your body better than anyone else. Just do what you have to do to QUIT. What works for me may not work for you. Just sharing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@notsmokinjo, as I’m sure you’ve deduced...there is a large contingent of quitters who feel that cold turkey is the only way to fly.  Well, I disagree.  But that’s what makes this whole thing so awesome!

i used Chantix.  3 times.   Same resukt, every time...put the smokes down fairly easily for prolonged periods.  Two notes:

1. They were completely paid for by my employer 

2.  I had almost zero side effects. 

Had i dome any/all of the other things recommended for any quitter (support group, educate about nicotine addiction, talk to support team before buying or lighting up, etc) any or all of them may have been “stickier”.

Like most internet things...take what you want and leave the rest.   You’ve got this dear.  

I felt bad about using NRT at first too! I was/am using these little mini-lozenges you stuff under your tongue (I like them better than the gum). Four and a half weeks into my quit I went three days without them last week, and then I had one yesterday. I had told myself the third day would be the hardest, but then on day four I couldn't resist. So I think I'll just keep them around for times when a craving is threatening to mess with my quit. Hopefully, eventually, I'll forget about them. 

You're good to go Jo! No worries. Just tell smoking to Pis* Off, like you have been all along. It just gets easier and easier to do as you move forward. I think the only thing that poses a danger to all of us longer term quitters is that moment of complacency where we figure we can just have one again because we've been quit for so long. I've read too many stories about what the real life result of that is so I now keep those tucked away in my head so that if I start thinking that way, I just focus on those real life stories. I don't want to go there and so far .... I haven't. Keep the faith friend. You're well on your way :)