Hit and Run

Boo

The Milwaukee Brewers are legit.  When you look at them on paper, nothing really jumps out at you.  They're just a solid ball club.  Good pitching.  Timely hitting.  Rock-solid bullpen.  And the owners of the best record in the National League.

If the Braves pitching crew doesn't see Jesus Aguilar and Eric Thames again for a while...I'm cool with that.

Brewers are notorious for running out of gas and fading later on in the season, well, at least not making the playoffs anyway. Regardless of playing staff, these tendencies are sometimes hard to shake. Look at the Cubs (sorry Johnny) and even Boston years ago. They both could not win no matter what the player talent!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2018 at 5:47 PM, reciprocity said:

Brewers are notorious for running out of gas and fading later on in the season, well, at least not making the playoffs anyway.

With the way Milwaukee lit up the Braves pitching staff today, Bernie Brewer could use the break.  He probably has road rash on his ass from that slide of his.

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Couple nights ago it was the phillies, glad hes not in the NL east and LA better sign him as they gave up 5 including top prospect....Guys catch the game last night? Astros best LA again in that one.. Nl cant win one of lateimage.thumb.png.c795ad310209e308d9a969862651e2b3.png

Edited by Whispers

In a much lower profile deal, the Cubs pick up journeyman relief pitcher Jesse Chavez from the Rangers for a lower tier minor leaguer.  I vaguely remember seeing Chavez with the Oakland A's a few years back.  A low risk trade in my opinion.

After today's painful 18-5 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals, I think we obviously need more than Chavez.  The usually reliable Jon Lester gave up 8 earned runs in 3 innings today.  Even position players Victor Caratini and Ian Happ pitched an inning in relief on a very depressing bullpen day.  Cubs relief pitching has been good but the starters can't stay in the game.

O's reliever Zach Britton will most likely be traded real soon.  Cubs, Braves, and pretty much every other contending team are interested.  Stay tuned.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispers said:

Did they build citi field on an old burial ground? Do i start believing in voodoo? the DL means the Down Low but if you're a mets fan you automatically think something else

Jeff Wilpon just hired a new team doctor.  He seems legit...

• Haha 2

Cubs make another trade with the Rangers, this time for Cole Hamels, with Texas taking on a large part of his salary.  

The Cubs give up often injured Eddie Butler, a lower level minor leaguer named Rollie Lacy, and a player to be named later.

Looking at his stats, I didn't realize Hamels has regressed as much as he has.  He used to be one of the better pitchers in the game.  Still, if he can do better than Tyler Chatwood, I will be happy with that return.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Looking at his stats, I didn't realize Hamels has regressed as much as he has.  He used to be one of the better pitchers in the game.  Still, if he can do better than Tyler Chatwood, I will be happy with that return.

Potentially a very good move for the Cubs.  Best case scenario: he shows flashes of his old self and improves the rotation of a team that is already playing good baseball right now.  Worst case scenario: he doesn't deliver in a big way, but does improve the depth of the rotation.  As risk/reward goes, it looks like a good call by Chicago.

Things are still quite with the Braves as the trade deadline approaches.  Some talk of making a move for Marcus Stroman from Toronto.  Stroman could slide into the rotation and, most likely, improve it a bit.  I'm just not sure he's worth the cost.  

Of course...with Alex Anthopoulos calling the shots in Atlanta, sometimes Braves fans just like to throw out a name and speculate.  You know, so we have something to talk about in the trade rumor circles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boo said:

Potentially a very good move for the Cubs.  Best case scenario: he shows flashes of his old self and improves the rotation of a team that is already playing good baseball right now.  Worst case scenario: he doesn't deliver in a big way, but does improve the depth of the rotation.  As risk/reward goes, it looks like a good call by Chicago.

Things are still quite with the Braves as the trade deadline approaches.  Some talk of making a move for Marcus Stroman from Toronto.  Stroman could slide into the rotation and, most likely, improve it a bit.  I'm just not sure he's worth the cost.  

Of course...with Alex Anthopoulos calling the shots in Atlanta, sometimes Braves fans just like to throw out a name and speculate.  You know, so we have something to talk about in the trade rumor circles.

According to Jon Heyman, the Diamondbacks, Brewers, Phillies, and Braves could also be in the market for Cabrera. Wheeler name is also out there but brewers for zack right now

14 minutes ago, Whispers said:

According to Jon Heyman, the Diamondbacks, Brewers, Phillies, and Braves could also be in the market for Cabrera.

Asdrubal will be a good addition for some team, but I really don't see the Braves making the move for him.  Even if Atlanta was willing to move Albies to short and plug in Cabrera at second, that leaves no place for Dansby Swanson.  And the organizations still has high hopes for Swanson in spite of another season where he has yet to live up to expectations.

Of course...those expectations were likely unrealistic from the beginning.  Hyping a young player up in Atlanta as the heir apparent to Chipper Jones before he's played in a single big league game is a good way to make a decent ballplayer look like a flop.  But...that's another story for another day.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Boo said:

Asdrubal will be a good addition for some team, but I really don't see the Braves making the move for him.  Even if Atlanta was willing to move Albies to short and plug in Cabrera at second, that leaves no place for Dansby Swanson.  And the organizations still has high hopes for Swanson in spite of another season where he has yet to live up to expectations.

Of course...those expectations were likely unrealistic from the beginning.  Hyping a young player up in Atlanta as the heir apparent to Chipper Jones before he's played in a single big league game is a good way to make a decent ballplayer look like a flop.  But...that's another story for another day.

just got traded to the phillies ..

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago

#Phillies acquiring Asdrubal Cabrera from #Mets for Double A RHP Franklyn Kilomé, sources tell The Athletic.

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

just got traded to the phillies ..

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago

#Phillies acquiring Asdrubal Cabrera from #Mets for Double A RHP Franklyn Kilomé, sources tell The Athletic.

Dammit!  I didn't want him to go there.  The Phillies are surging and have a 2.5 game lead over the Braves in the East.

Cubs have dealt with a couple of tough loses to the Cardinals. 

Still, I have been impressed with recently acquired reliever Jesse Chavez.  He has pitched well for us so far.

It was announced last night that Tyler Chatwood will be heading to the bullpen to make room for Cole Hamels in the starting rotation.  Chatwood is averaging over 8 walks per nine innings this year which is crazy.  Hopefully he can figure stuff out now that he isn't in the starting rotation. 

I agree with Boo.  I think the Hamels trade is low risk, potentially high reward for us, especially since the Cubs didn't give up a ton for him.  At the bare minimum, I hope Hamels is an upgrade over Chatwood, which isn't asking for much. 

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

Jays dump closer Osuna to the Astros!

I figured they'd get him out of town asap after he was charge with beating his woman friend back in May or June.

Although he has yet to be convicted, there's no appetite here for "alleged" violence against women. He's done in this town regardless of the reality of what may have happened. 

It's unfortunate because he has a lot of talent. I guess we'll see how this all plays out. Jays are  in "rebuild mode" anyway so might as well clean house :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Whispers said:

image.png.59e361be8c3e83a500966212a3c90c3d.png

There was talk of acquiring Duvall before the season started.  The price was finally right.  Not a blockbuster kind of deal, but he does add a bit more power in the lineup.  Against left-handed pitching, the Braves will move Acuna to center and play Duvall in left.  Removing Ender from the lineup and sparing us all the uncomfortable display that is Inciarte trying to hit against southpaws.

Los Bravos also picked up Kevin Gausman from the Orioles.  Again, not a blockbuster deal but a move that does have the potential to improve the rotation a bit.  If Gausman proves to be a relatively solid starter, Atlanta can move Julio Teheran back into the bullpen.  A move that would be a win/win.

• 3 weeks later...