Hit and Run

Boo

Cubs place both Yu Darvish and Jason Heyward on the disabled list.  I don't wish injuries on anyone but I'm not sure if it will impact the team too much the way their seasons have gone so far.

Chicago calls up 23 year old minor leaguer Jen-Ho Tseng to take Darvish's place in the rotation tonight.  Tseng is currently sporting an 8.04 ERA this season in minor league ball so this could get ugly.  Then again, the Cubs are facing the lowly Miami Marlins so who knows?

• Like 3

New York Mets
‏Verified account @Mets
4m4 minutes ago

We've acquired Devin Mesoraco from Cincinnati for Matt Harvey. In addition, we've placed Todd Frazier on the 10-Day DL, with a left hamstring strain. In order to make room on the 40-man roster, we've transferred Anthony Swarzak to the 60-Day DL.

• Like 2

Ok, this has to be rock bottom right? The mets just lost a series to the worst team in the NL on top of getting caught for batting out of order today! When i played in little league we never batted out of order.... Not long ago this team was 11-1 and to pour salt in the damn Yankees are on FIRE

pepto.JPG

• Sad 1

The Braves are playing much better on the road than at home right now.

For all the talk of the young guns in Atlanta, Nick Markakis is having the best year of his career at age 34.

Tropicana Field is the worst stadium in baseball.  Place looks like a cross between the old Metrodome and a nuclear reactor.

i though Cubbies calling up Tseng was the joke of the round... but seriously, how does a pro ball team bat out of order... I don't get it... You know Wispers those Yankies fans are going take this one to the cleaners for ages... deep breath, sheath the claws... if it makes you feel any better a guy in australia was once sentenced to stay in jail until St Kilda (my club) won a game (not the premiership, just 1 game) he was in prison for over 3 years.... there still hanging it on us over that... over 100 years later I might add.

Just remember, this too shall pass.

• Like 2

127 games left but OMG! Good thing im working from home this week as last week the commute into the city was chirping yankee fans on the bus and ferry to work . That team is hot, won 17-18 games and i dont hate the team just the obnoxious fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whispers said:

Check out this shift Vs Joey Gallo

gallo.jpg

If Gallo could have laid down a bunt towards third, he probably could have legged it out for a double.

Is the third baseman playing back?  No, he's between second and shallow center.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^ Looks like shit but it worked 3 times didn't it... we all know Gallo can hit left, he can even left line drive, but its not common... as a batter facing that field throws you unless you have ice in ya veins (and not many big hitters do)... seeing that, you know Boo's right, drop a bunt to third or even pop short fly just over third and you have an easy 1-2 base hit... you know this, your at the plate and the voice in ya head is chanting, just hit left, just hit left.... but ya fruck it up and it goes right.... and once you do it on the first up at  you will repeat it every time... its sport psychology 101... most big hitters do half their batting in their head... you get in there and you have the upper hand. Brilliant plan pity it wasn't enough to win but did counteract Gallo.

• Like 2

Whew!

The Braves bullpen knows how to make things interesting in the ninth.

Can't complain after a win, but...c'mon guys, it's a long season.  A few boring finishes won't drive fans away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Whew!

The Braves bullpen knows how to make things interesting in the ninth.

Can't complain after a win, but...c'mon guys, it's a long season.  A few boring finishes won't drive fans away.

I didn't see the game but checking the box score, it looks like Jose Quintana worked his usual magic.  4.2 innings pitched and 6 earned runs. 

A great return for top 5 prospect Eloy Jimenez that I truly believe will be a star in about 3 years.  smh

Congrats on the win, though.  The Braves' future is bright.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Congrats on the win, though.  The Braves' future is bright.

The good news for Cubs fans is: now you get three cracks at the Braves in Atlanta.  Or, just north of Atlanta if you want to get technical.  To this point in the season, the Braves have played much better on the road.

Looks like Darvish will take the mound for Chicago while Atlanta counters with Mike Foltynewicz.  Will Darvish have a breakout game?  Will good Folty or bad Folty show up tomorrow night?  Could be interesting...or ugly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boo said:

The good news for Cubs fans is: now you get three cracks at the Braves in Atlanta.  Or, just north of Atlanta if you want to get technical. 

You could had told me the were playing in the dead centre of town with my vast knowledge of Atlanta.. Which consists of its in Georgia, its in the south, and it featured in Gone with the Wind which my aunty made me watch every time she visited... For akk I know Toronto is jut north of Atlanta. ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

You could had told me the were playing in the dead centre of town with my vast knowledge of Atlanta.. Which consists of its in Georgia, its in the south, and it featured in Gone with the Wind which my aunty made me watch every time she visited... For akk I know Toronto is jut north of Atlanta. ?

These details matter.  I still remember when Pascual Perez missed a start because he got lost on his way to the old Fulton County Stadium.  Perez missed his exit, drove around on I-285 for a bit, then got turned around on some side streets.  Fortunately, Phil Niekro was rested and ready to go that night.

14 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Although... Braves at home this season is certainly a better prospect than have them come visit, they have been excellent hosts.

The Braves haven't been terrible at home this season, they currently sit at one-game over .500 in games played in Cobb County.  They have just been very good on the road to this point.  Atlanta has the best road record in the National League and the Red Sox are the only team in the majors that has traveled as well as the Braves.

28 minutes ago, Whispers said:

I've been hearing those rumors from the comments section of Cubs Den, a fan blog I follow  http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den

For a half season rental, I'm not sure what the Cubs could offer up in a trade.  Our minor league system is pretty weak.  I'd have no problem in trading Addison Russell, Ian Happ, and a couple of minor leaguers for Machado but I think it will cost more than that. 

But, I keep hearing the rumor that the Cubs are trying to get him. 

Stay tuned...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

I've been hearing those rumors from the comments section of Cubs Den, a fan blog I follow  http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den

For a half season rental, I'm not sure what the Cubs could offer up in a trade.  Our minor league system is pretty weak.  I'd have no problem in trading Addison Russell, Ian Happ, and a couple of minor leaguers for Machado but I think it will cost more than that. 

But, I keep hearing the rumor that the Cubs are trying to get him. 

Stay tuned...

Why not  sign him to a new deal? this year 183 mill... Next year this is what cubs are committed to, they can afford him

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/payroll/2019/

• Like 1

^^^ That would be a great scenario.

I hear a lot that the Cubs want to pursue Bryce Harper in the offseason, especially since I believe he is good friends with Kris Bryant. 

I would prefer Machado, though, for various reasons.  The guy is awesome and I am just not a fan of incumbent SS Addison Russell.

Teams who trade for half season rentals seem to struggle in re-signing them to new deals for some reason. 

My only issue with trading for a half season of Machado is I don't think the Cubs have enough reserve talent to make the deal work.  It would be nice, though.

• Like 1

I guess he didn't have anything left in him after all ?

Too bad because he was rock solid for a few years in Toronto. 

He didn't gain any friends in Texas after the "bat-flip" incident tho :)

giphy.gif?response_id=591d004fd01577aea5

The fall from glory is pretty fast in pro sports though ....... man oh man!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Whispers said:

Mark Bowman‏Verified account @mlbbowman 5m5 minutes ago

The Braves have released Jose Bautista. Anthopoulos says Camargo will be the everyday third baseman.

The hot corner in Atlanta was getting kind of crowded.  Camargo is the right guy for right now.  Ryan Flaherty got off to a hot start but has cooled down as the season progressed.  Charlie Culberson is in the mix as well, but not as an everyday guy.

The real question raised by this move is: When does Austin Riley get the call up from Gwinnett?  Riley is putting up some numbers and with the whole youth movement in Atlanta ("The Baby Braves"), another young gun would fit well in the clubhouse.

• Like 1