Hit and Run

Boo

19 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Yeah so what's the deal with Joe Buck anyway? He seems to get all the primo sports announcing gigs in the U.S. Big games for baseball and football I think yet he clearly isn't well liked or respected in sports circles from what I can see here in Canada. 

His dad was a legend.  Jack Buck was a great baseball announcer.

I guess the networks just assumed he would be as good at the job as his father.  They were wrong,  That apple fell a long way from the tree.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Whispers said:

I hope the Yanks sign this guy, game on the line in bot of 9th he's blowing bubbles...

Well, you know, hustling isn't his "cup of tea."  Between blowing bubbles and spiking yet another guy at first, Manny can't be expected to run hard.  Even if it is the bottom of the ninth in a World Series game.

How many general managers are looking at Manny Machado right now and thinking that a 10 year/$400 million kind of deal is potentially something that they will regret for the rest of their lives?

Potential is good but wasted on an idiot with a bad attitude.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boo said:

Well, you know, hustling isn't his "cup of tea."  Between blowing bubbles and spiking yet another guy at first, Manny can't be expected to run hard.  Even if it is the bottom of the ninth in a World Series game.

How many general managers are looking at Manny Machado right now and thinking that a 10 year/$400 million kind of deal is potentially something that they will regret for the rest of their lives?

Potential is good but wasted on an idiot with a bad attitude.

Yeah, I know the Cubs are looking to sign him.  I have mixed feelings about that now. 

We already have a couple of huge deals on the books that I think we regret (Darvish, Heyward) but I don't think anyone questions their attitudes.  They just haven't produced on the field.

I agree with Whispers.  I would be fine with Machado becoming a Yankee.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

I agree with Whispers.  I would be fine with Machado becoming a Yankee.

Ill will towards the Yankees is the one thing that unifies the rest of the baseball world.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Boo said:

Ill will towards the Yankees is the one thing that unifies the rest of the baseball world.

Yup! Good reason they're called the evil empire... Manny is a s-bag    https://twitter.com/ShtBallPlayrsDo/status/1056398173923618816/video/1?fbclid=IwAR2N1xalGNfMh06we1ibkHLum73oMrqpqGr7ek_BpsTZdS1uS0nbu4JS-Lg

19 minutes ago, Whispers said:

And right on cue..."Yankees are the front runners to sign Manny Machado in free agency."

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20181025&content_id=299700848&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Yet another reason to hate the Yankees?  The Empire abides.

Edited by Boo
  • Like 1

The Red Sox left no doubt this season.  They were the best team of the regular season and blew through the playoffs with an 11-3 record.

Only 117 days until the start of Spring Training now.

• Like 2

Great season for the Sox. Nice to see the best win it all. The expanded playoff makes that a lot tougher to do but the Red Sox did it. Machado will end up in a big market town and that`s where he belongs. Most of these kind of talents do this these days because that is who can afford the type of contract they demand. My teams (St. Louis and Arizona) can`t afford a guy like that and I`m okay with that. We knew in AZ that J.D. Martinez would be gone but he was a classy player and a great addition. Machado is a prima donna and I would not want to see him here or St Louis. Glad I do not have to worry about that. It`s the game that keeps me, not the players.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

@BooI see your Braves have signed Josh Donaldson on a 1 year contract. He was outstanding in Toronto at 3rd base for a couple of years and was solid at the plate too but injuries became a real issue eventually and continued to plague him in Cleveland. If he's health and can stay that way, he might be a great addition to your team :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

@BooI see your Braves have signed Josh Donaldson on a 1 year contract. He was outstanding in Toronto at 3rd base for a couple of years and was solid at the plate too but injuries became a real issue eventually and continued to plague him in Cleveland. If he's health and can stay that way, he might be a great addition to your team :) 

Donaldson's health is the only real question in this deal.  He's 33 years-old and coming off of a calf injury.  However, if he isn't quite up to being an everyday kind of guy just yet, we still have Camargo at third.  Donaldson on the bench strengthens the bench.  Vice versa, Camargo on the bench strengthens the bench.

I like the deal.  Chop on!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With the signing of Bryce Harper, the Phillies have declared themselves division champs...for the next decade.

Good news for the rest of the NL East is, we'll still get 19 chances a year to hate Bryce Harper.

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 3

Phillies lineup is good but they'll need pitching outside of nola... I saw this before, if true he made a mistake IMO

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/bryce-harper-rejected-45m-per-year-from-dodgers-report

Harper, 27, rejected a four-year deal from the Los Angeles Dodgers that would have paid him $45 million per season, the highest annual pay of any contract in baseball history, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reported. The deal would have allowed Harper to become a free agent again at age 30, setting up another huge payday.

• Like 1

Could not agree with you both more. I`ll take Goldie in St. Louis even if it`s just for 1 year. Hate to see the Diamondbacks lose him but they should love him in my old home town. Class guy. Harper should have taken the L.A. deal. Atlanta should be tough again I think they have a good shot at taking the divisi0on again. Glad to have baseball back. America`s game! Can`t beat it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, garry mhudson said:

Atlanta should be tough again I think they have a good shot at taking the divisi0on again. 

It's too early to start worrying now, but the injuries are mounting for the Braves this Spring.

The only upside to these early injuries is that it may move Alex Anthopoulos to drop a bit of cash and sign a pitcher.  Maybe bring Craig Kimbrel back to Atlanta or sign Dallas Keuchel.  We have great young arms in the system, but Mike Soroka's shoulder health is still questionable right now.  And the rest of the young guns in the pipeline are still at least one-year away.

21 hours ago, Boo said:

It's too early to start worrying now, but the injuries are mounting for the Braves this Spring.

The only upside to these early injuries is that it may move Alex Anthopoulos to drop a bit of cash and sign a pitcher.  Maybe bring Craig Kimbrel back to Atlanta or sign Dallas Keuchel.  We have great young arms in the system, but Mike Soroka's shoulder health is still questionable right now.  And the rest of the young guns in the pipeline are still at least one-year away.

https://www.12up.com/posts/6310005-report-nationals-interested-in-craig-kimbrel-with-phillies-and-braves-chasing/partners/40030

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

I feel like if the Braves put a reasonable offer on the table, Atlanta is the front-runner to sign Kimbrel.  That feeling is not based on much more than a hunch and a bit of optimism.  Kimbrel started his career in the Braves organization.  One of his brothers was also in the organization for a while.  He's from Alabama, so Atlanta is close to home for him.

Plus, it would allow some of us to forgive and forget that the Braves basically traded Kimbrel to the Padres to avoid paying Melvin Upton.  That was a rotten deal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...