Hit and Run

Boo

The braves have certainly shored up their pen and as you said, good moves there. The jays are apparently "looking to the future". What they are expecting escapes me. They say they are developing a lot of younger arms that they can either use in future or trade for good talent? Seems a bit odd as they had pretty good talent but traded it all away? 

There's almost No One at their games. You could shoot a canon through the corridors of the ballpark and not hit anyone :) This coupled with the 70 cent Canadian dollar (when they pay their people in American $$) is cause for worry that there may be NO Canadian teams in MLB in the future.

Toronto has some sort of unknown curse on it. ALL their sports teams suck big time; are in the basement of their respective leagues yet are still in business. Go figure! Their football team (Argos) haven't won a game since last year - no fans there either.

Bring out the canon again - no one will be hurt cuz they ain't there!!

tumblr_p9xnaqit491sagi1uo2_500.gif

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Not sure what is going on with the Cubs - they have an struggling offense and a bullpen that has been ran into the ground.

I have my doubts about this team but still, we were buyers at the trade deadline.  The big acquisition was Nicholas Castellanos.  He might be a bit of an adventure in the field but he is definitely the disciplined bat the Cubs are currently lacking.  

A much more minor trade pickup is Tony Kemp but he might be a useful replacement for the trainwreck named Addison Russell.  He can't be any worse.

Cole Hamels is supposed to come back from the injured list this Saturday and Ben Zobrist has begun a rehab assignment.

I'm not feeling great about the Cubs' post season chances but there is a lot of activity surrounding the team nevertheless.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

I'm not feeling great about the Cubs' post season chances but there is a lot of activity surrounding the team nevertheless.

The race in the N.L. Central looks very likely to go right down to the last day of the season.  Right now the Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers are all within two games of each other.

And speaking of the Central division, the Pirates are out of contention at this point but could play a spoiler role down the stretch.  For a last place team, those guys are a pain in the ass to play.  When the Braves played the Pirates earlier in the season, Pittsburgh's 1-8 lineup were all tough outs. 

• Like 2

^^^^ Well, this is a good point you bring up. You just never know what even the worst of teams can do on any given day!

I witnessed that last night watching a Canadian Football League game when the Toronto Argos beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers somehow. Argos were down 20-0 at half time with zero wins this season and Winnipeg is the #1 team in the league this year. I fell asleep around half time and woke up with only a few mins left in the game and Toronto was winning? I was still a little groggy so thought; "Maybe I'm dreaming this?" 

Anyway, as one wise old baseball guy always said; "It ain't over till it's over!!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

^^^^ Well, this is a good point you bring up. You just never know what even the worst of teams can do on any given day!

How did life begin?

Are we alone in the universe?

Why do the Marlins, in spite of always being in last place, give the Braves a hard time?

These are just a few of the questions for which I have no answer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Boo said:

How did life begin?

A genetically anomaly is some primordial ooze on a day when atmospheric conditions were optimal....or god clicked his fingers.. you choose

12 hours ago, Boo said:

Are we alone in the universe?

@Martian5 .... I rest my case! 😊

.... mathematics says no.

12 hours ago, Boo said:

Why do the Marlins, in spite of always being in last place, give the Braves a hard time?

Cos you're their bunnies....it's psychology mate, pure and simple, they have the mind set that they always do well against you and subsequently they play outa their skins...your mob have the psychology that the Marlins have ya number and get in their own heads and play like shit.....

Your welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We're getting into the fun part of the season now.  The Braves and Dodgers squared off in a weekend series that felt like postseason baseball from the first pitch of game one though the last pitch of game three.

After blowing it in game one, the bullpen looked great in games two and three.  Mark Melancon, who is very familiar with the Dodgers lineup following his years in San Francisco, closed out the ninth in consecutive games without giving up a hit or walk.  That could bode well for the playoffs.

Los Bravos are getting production from unlikely heroes.  Adeny Hechavarria, who just came over from the Mets, contributed this weekend.  And the undisputed hero of the day was Rafael Ortega.  Ortega was called up from Gwinett earlier in the week and delivered a grand slam in the sixth to put Atlanta over the top for a win in the biggest series of the season.

And more has been said about this than it deserves already, but...I think Brian Snitker did the right thing pulling Acuna.  Acuna is a great player and in my biased opinion the best young talent in the game.  It was a bold move by Snitker to bench Acuna for not running it out on, what turned out to be a long single, in the fourth inning.  Ronald will be back in the lineup on Tuesday and hopefully a lesson was learned...If you play for Atlanta, you never dick around against the Dodgers.

Fall is just around the corner.  We've got division races.  We've got wildcard races.  Then on to the playoffs.  Good times.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I saw some highlights from that game and yes ... I can see where there's hope for days ahead if they keep playing like they did.

Yep.  Things look to be coming together at the right time for the Braves.  Shane Greene looks like he's overcome a rocky start in Atlanta.  Melancon has been solid in the closer role.  Heck...Luke Jackson has even started hitting his spots with the fastball which sets things up for his slider.  Dare I say...the bullpen could actually become an asset for the Braves at this rate.

We've been getting good production up and down the lineup and the fact that we should get both Dansby Swanson and Austin Riley back from the IL in early September helps the cause.  Hopefully, Nick Markakis will be available by the playoffs as well.

Chop On!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Braves were in town the other day for some games against the lowly Blue Jays. Josh Donaldson got a hero's welcome back the first night, even though the Braves somehow managed to lose against Toronto. I tell ya, the fans in T-dot loved this guy. He played with heart and tenacity when he was playing for the Jays and when he was healthy, which wasn't often. Never seen a player get that kind of heart-felt welcome back. That was real class and I could tell, he appreciated it big time :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reciprocity said:

The Braves were in town the other day for some games against the lowly Blue Jays. Josh Donaldson got a hero's welcome back the first night, even though the Braves somehow managed to lose against Toronto. I tell ya, the fans in T-dot loved this guy. He played with heart and tenacity when he was playing for the Jays and when he was healthy, which wasn't often. Never seen a player get that kind of heart-felt welcome back. That was real class and I could tell, he appreciated it big time :) 

I can understand why Donaldson was a fan favorite in Toronto.  He has quickly become a favorite among Braves fans this season.  He has delivered big hits in clutch situations all season.  And I love the way that guy plays third base; rock solid at the hot corner and charges every grounder hit his way like its game seven.

Initially Josh was brought in as a one-and-done guy.  The Braves were not going to designate Johan Camargo as an everyday guy and no one knew if Austin Riley was ready to go at the start of the season.  So Josh Donaldson was signed to a one year deal to fill a gap at third.  Now, Riley will return to left field when he returns from injury.  Camargo has been demoted to Gwinnett.  And Josh Donaldson is holding it down in the field and batting clean-up.

I really hope we get another couple of years of Josh Donaldson in a Braves uniform.  A contract extension would be the ideal situation.  If Atlanta needs to drop a dime to sign Donaldson in free agency...loosen up the purse strings and make it happen.

• Like 1

I got the day off from work so I'm watching the Cubs face the Brewers.  Jose Quintana has been pitching awesomely as of late, although I'm afraid to say that while he is still in the game. 

Nick Castellanos has been a terrific late season pickup and has had two more home runs in today's game.

I wonder if the Cubs will try to re-sign Castellanos who is a free agent at the end of this season.  There are rumors that Kris Bryant may be on the trade block this offseason - the validity of those rumors remains to be seen.

Still, the Cubs are a game and a half behind the Cardinals for the division lead.  Should be fun to follow down the stretch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Nick Castellanos has been a terrific late season pickup and has had two more home runs in today's game.

I would like to see Castellanos serve in some sort of player/commissioner role.  He hates analytics and makes no secret of it.  He thinks it's bullshit that some teams are tanking now for future success..."you play to win the game."  And more recently, he crucified those awful "players uniforms" that every team wore last weekend.

Castellanos 2020: MAKE BASEBALL GREAT AGAIN!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Boo said:

I would like to see Castellanos serve in some sort of player/commissioner role.  He hates analytics and makes no secret of it.  He thinks it's bullshit that some teams are tanking now for future success..."you play to win the game."  And more recently, he crucified those awful "players uniforms" that every team wore last weekend.

Bullsh*t follows the money and there's big money in most sports. One of the reasons I like to watch the CFL (Canadian Football League). Not much $$ there. Most players have a "real job" off season and just play for love of the game. No BS in that league and games are often pretty exciting right down to the final seconds :) 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Boo said:

19 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Bullsh*t follows the money and there's big money in most sports. One of the reasons I like to watch the CFL (Canadian Football League). Not much $$ there. Most players have a "real job" off season and just play for love of the game. No BS in that league and games are often pretty exciting right down to the final seconds :) 

I agree with both posts completely.

I think Kris Bryant is a very talented player but definitely overrated.  His first two years were excellent (1st year - rookie of the year, 2nd year - MVP) but has been above average at best since.  Being a Scott Boras client, though, he is very vocal about how badly he feels he's been treated and will probably want to be the highest paid player in MLB once he becomes a free agent two years from now.  It is annoying.

Castellanos does not have the natural talent that Bryant has, in my opinion, but he seems to make the best of it.  His overall attitude and passion for the game is very refreshing. 

I'd love to see the Cubs sign Castellanos to a new contract and see what they can get for Bryant in the offseason.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

You're right Johnny! Attitude toward the game they play makes a huge difference to the fans who watch them play day in and day out. Talent is one thing but how you play the game speaks volumes about who you are and your value to the team; at least to the fans it does.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Martin threw an immaculate inning (3 outs, 3 K's, on 9 pitches) for the Braves tonight against the Phillies.  I had forgotten how rare immaculate innings are in baseball.  There have been fewer than 100 thrown in the history of the game and Martin became only the fifth Brave to ever punch out three straight on nine pitches.  The last Brave to do so was Buddy Carlyle in 2007.

It's a good thing that wasn't a trivia question.  I could have thrown out names all night and probably not come up with Buddy Carlyle.

• Like 2

Well, the Cubs are somehow still in the postseason hunt.  As of today, their current record would give them the second wildcard spot.

Javier Baez is hurt, Anthony Rizzo is probably out for the rest of the regular season, and Craig Kimbrell (who has not been impressive since signing mid-season with the Cubs) seems to get hurt constantly.  Lots of injuries.

The one brightside, other than somehow still being in the postseason race, is that the Cubs promoted their top minor league prospect Nico Hoerner.  Ranked as the 47th best minor league prospect by MLB.com, Hoerner is a versatile defender (2B, SS, and OF).  In 33 major league at bats, he is hitting .364 with 2 home runs and 11 RBI's. 

A very promising prospect indeed.

Since he was added to the 40 man roster in September, he will not be eligible for post season play if the Cubs make it to the postseason.  Still, Hoerner looks like he'll be a big part of the Cubs' future.

The rest of the regular season should be interesting.

• Like 2