Hit and Run

Boo

Last report I saw had Craig Kimbrel and the Cubs in agreement pending a physical.  Good job by the North Siders to address their bullpen issues.  Anthopoulos wouldn't budge on giving Kimbrel a third year and that took the Braves out of contention.  I'm not crazy about how the situation was handled, but nobody in the front office asked for my advice.

31 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Braves Reportedly Emerge As Favorites For Dallas Keuchel

By Steve Adams | June 6, 2019 at 2:19pm CDT

With Kimbrel off the table for Atlanta, I really hope the Braves aggressively go after Keuchel.  The bullpen is still a concern, but the starting rotation could really use an anchor like Keuchel right now.  Foltynewicz and Soroka look to be solid.  Gausman and Fried have both been shaky at times.  And Juilo Teheran is still Julio Teheran...you just never know what he's going to do.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, Whispers said:

😶

image.png.ddc4a0c9e5df74386b5d8a1844b9868d.png

I've heard people say that the wisest among us are those who have dealt with the most pain.

If that's true, that guy with the ruptured nut must be some kind of sage oracle by now.

Edited by Boo
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, garry mhudson said:

Ouch! Molina had a pretty good bell ringer last year but this hurts to even think about.

According to the radar, that foul tip was moving at 102 m.p.h when it hit Yadier in the sack.

Damn.  I don't have anything else to add....just, damn.

Sometimes just a normal Monday night game during the first half of the regular season can turn out to be far more eventful than you thought it would be.

The Braves beat the Pirates.  The win combined with Philadelphia's loss in Arizona pulled Atlanta into a tie for the lead in the East.

Nick Markakis tallied the 1,000th RBI of his career last night.

And we had a little dust-up in the first inning...

• Like 1

Its been a tough series for the Cubs against the Mets but I really like what I saw from recently promoted rookie Adbert Alzolay.  He's the #4 prospect in the Cubs' minor league system and arguably the best pitching prospect.  It was expected that he'd make the Cubs roster last year but injuries kept that from happening.

A nice big league debut...it ended with a solo home run but Alzolay is a very promising prospect for a Cubs team that definitely needs pitching.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Its been a tough series for the Cubs against the Mets but I really like what I saw from recently promoted rookie Adbert Alzolay.  He's the #4 prospect in the Cubs' minor league system and arguably the best pitching prospect.  It was expected that he'd make the Cubs roster last year but injuries kept that from happening.

A nice big league debut...it ended with a solo home run but Alzolay is a very promising prospect for a Cubs team that definitely needs pitching.

With that Mets Pen you never know.. Mickey blew up after.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, johnny5 said:

Could be a good match-up between a couple of young guns tonight when the Braves and Cubs play.  Alzolay will make his first career start tonight and Max Fried will take the mound for Atlanta.

I'm hoping for better results than last night when a good Jon Lester started for the Cubs and a bad Julio Teheran started for Atlanta.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Could be a good match-up between a couple of young guns tonight when the Braves and Cubs play.  Alzolay will make his first career start tonight and Max Fried will take the mound for Atlanta.

I'm hoping for better results than last night when a good Jon Lester started for the Cubs and a bad Julio Teheran started for Atlanta.

Yeah, it could be a good match-up.  Max Fried is a promising young arm for the Braves.  I've seen him pitch a couple of times.

I'm trying not to get my expectations up too high for Alzolay this early.  It is only his second MLB game so I do expect some ups and downs.  With the struggles of Chatwood, Darvish, and Quintana, any positive contributions Alzolay can make will definitely be welcome.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whispers said:

Phillies lost 7 in a row and just swept 4 games from the Mets... Ya gotta believe turned into you gotta be kidding me after todays blown lead

For what it's worth...tomorrow's game between the Braves and Mets offers up what could be a great pitching duel with Soroka and deGrom taking the mound.

I understand that the gurus and wizards of baseball, armed with advanced metrics and complicated equations, have led the way in diminishing the importance of starting pitching. However, the first thing I look at before a game are the probable starters.  Until the number crunchers totally take over the game, the starters matter.  And from the looks of some of the bullpens around the league, I can't help but think that there are a few managers who are feeling less inclined to pull a starter on pitch-count alone.

In totally unrelated news, the Cookie Monster sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley today.  Perhaps I'm too old to admit this, but that made me very happy.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Boo said:

I understand that the gurus and wizards of baseball, armed with advanced metrics and complicated equations, have led the way in diminishing the importance of starting pitching. However, the first thing I look at before a game are the probable starters.  Until the number crunchers totally take over the game, the starters matter.  And from the looks of some of the bullpens around the league, I can't help but think that there are a few managers who are feeling less inclined to pull a starter on pitch-count alone.

For the love of God please let starting pitchers pitch.... God damn baseball and analytics and sabermetrics is ruining the game!   Listen to this so you get a whiff whats going on with sports media out here.https://wfan.radio.com/articles/mike-francesa-rips-diaz-mets-live-they-blow-lead-phillies

I saw this today and cracked up, a new player jersey def a clearance item image.thumb.png.424f81735681362aedbbd00d6f339c13.png

Edited by Whispers
  • Like 2

Cubs designate Carlos Gonzalez for assignment.  It will be interesting to see if another team takes a chance on him.  Otherwise, if he clears waivers, he winds up back in the Cubs minor league system.  I hope that happens and I do hope he can make a comeback at some point in the near future.

Kyle Hendricks is about to come off the injured list as Cole Hamels is placed on the injured list.

Cubs are still in first place but this team is pretty banged up.  I'm curious as to what moves, if any, are made before the trade deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnny5 said:

Cubs designate Carlos Gonzalez for assignment.  It will be interesting to see if another team takes a chance on him.  Otherwise, if he clears waivers, he winds up back in the Cubs minor league system.  I hope that happens and I do hope he can make a comeback at some point in the near future.

Kyle Hendricks is about to come off the injured list as Cole Hamels is placed on the injured list.

Cubs are still in first place but this team is pretty banged up.  I'm curious as to what moves, if any, are made before the trade deadline.

Hope Cubs, Dodgers or Braves can stop the Yankees if the Astros cant. They are so Hot they may never lose again 😡. The two games in london the pitchers didnt show up. Im not sure who could need a OF to scoop cargo, he may just go unclaimed

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stroman to the Mets? He was hoping to be traded to the Yankees but it was not to be. This could be interesting. He's pretty vocal about his point of view on things :) Toronto is trading anything and everything. Why sh*t, they'd sell 3rd base for a buck and a half :) 

19 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Stroman to the Mets? He was hoping to be traded to the Yankees but it was not to be. This could be interesting. He's pretty vocal about his point of view on things :) Toronto is trading anything and everything. Why sh*t, they'd sell 3rd base for a buck and a half :) 

The way the Blue Jays handled the Stroman trade was just weird.  They asked for a lot from the Yankees in exchange for Stroman: two top prospects (Florial and Garcia).  When the Bronx Bombers rejected the deal, Toronto basically looked at the rest of the league and asked: who wants this guy?  Hindsight being 20/20 I wish the Braves had taken a shot at Stroman.  If you can pick up a starter with a sub 3.00 ERA for pennies on the dollar...that's a great deal.

I'm pleased with the moves made by the Braves.  The bullpen has been an area of concern for quite a while now.  The addition of Chris Martin(not the guy from Coldplay) and Mark Melancon should bolster the pen.  And I am very excited about the acquisition of Shane Greene from Detroit.  The Braves have a legitimate closer now!