Hit and Run

Boo

7 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

So far, so good on the Cole Hamels trade.  Heck, he might be the ace of the Cubs staff at this point.  A 0.72 ERA in 25 innings is awesome.

Great trade, im getting ready for my football draft and the NFL season... Mets turned into the Mutts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whispers said:

Mets turned into the Mutts!

The Mets aren't going to win the East, but they may well play a huge role in determining who does.

For all the woes the Mets have faced this year...with deGrom, Syndergaard, and Wheeler New York is not the team you want to face if you absolutely have to have a win.

And speaking as a Braves fan, I would just as soon not play any more teams from the N.L West this season either.  Those left coasters are killing us this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boo said:

The Mets aren't going to win the East, but they may well play a huge role in determining who does.

For all the woes the Mets have faced this year...with deGrom, Syndergaard, and Wheeler New York is not the team you want to face if you absolutely have to have a win.

And speaking as a Braves fan, I would just as soon not play any more teams from the N.L West this season either.  Those left coasters are killing us this year.

Outside of citi field the bats are waking up, 24-4 vs phillies to set a franchise record was awesome! I agree with the spoiler role, they seem to be enjoying the pressure free environment. Degrom for cy young? Out here we're all behind Mid island in the Little League WS, something to watch my friends kids out there playing great.. Fun to watch .. Braves are looking good and Mets doing their best to help you out, Vargas goes tonight and he sucks. Terrible sign by the mets and sandy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whispers said:

Degrom for cy young? 

I would vote yes.  The win-loss numbers are a statistical aberration.  When you look at deGrom's body of work this season, his numbers are comparable to those of Clayton Kershaw in 2014.

In spite of everything going on around him, Jacob deGrom has been aces this season.

1 minute ago, Boo said:

I would vote yes.  The win-loss numbers are a statistical aberration.  When you look at deGrom's body of work this season, his numbers are comparable to those of Clayton Kershaw in 2014.

In spite of everything going on around him, Jacob deGrom has been aces this season. 

He has tremendous discipline, hes 0-5 Vs the braves this year with an era in those games of 1.09.. How he hasn't lost it with the lack of run support i have no idea. Hats off to him

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whispers said:

Cubs acquired INF Daniel Murphy from the Nationals for INF Andruw Monasterio and a player to be named later or cash considerations.

This should help, especially with the absence of Kris Bryant.  The last I heard, Bryant should be back by September but who knows.  Monasterio is a marginal minor league prospect but I hope he does well in the Nationals minor leagues.

It was just announced that Yu Darvish will be out for the rest of the season.  Not a surprise.  He wasn't doing well when he was pitching for us either.  Hindshight is 20/20 but I really wish we could have re-signed Jake Arrieta.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

This should help, especially with the absence of Kris Bryant.  The last I heard, Bryant should be back by September but who knows.  Monasterio is a marginal minor league prospect but I hope he does well in the Nationals minor leagues.

It was just announced that Yu Darvish will be out for the rest of the season.  Not a surprise.  He wasn't doing well when he was pitching for us either.  Hindshight is 20/20 but I really wish we could have re-signed Jake Arrieta.

I agree the Yu sign isnt working out at all. Murphy's career slash line v Cubs: .325/.365/.553/.919. Career .413 hitter at Wrigley (reg season).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I shouldn't complain.  The Braves magic number is down to 12 in the East.  Atlanta is putting together some good baseball on the west coast for the first time this season.  Ozzie Albies is getting his mojo back.  The starting rotation is looking good right now.

And I can't watch any of today's game because of some stupid deal MLB struck with Facebook.

That Zuckerberg guy is really starting to get on my nerves.

• Like 1

Th FB live games are eh... Wright is playing one more game the 29th and retire. He's a class act and going out that way. Mets 10-6 Vs the phils this year and the Phillies are looking dunski... Good luck to yur baby braves in the playoffs boo and to your cubbies johny5

https://nypost.com/2018/09/13/mets-great-david-wright-plans-to-retire-after-one-last-game/?utm_source=facebook_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's playoff time!

Keeping an eye on the Dodgers-Rockies game to see where the Braves are heading to start the postseason (the Dodgers are leading by two in the fifth right now).

I thought the Braves were a year away.  I had questions about how soon the young talent would contribute.  Thought the starting rotation had the potential to be good, but had some reservations.  And I didn't trust the bullpen one bit.

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

Feel free to join in and sing-a-long with me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Boo said:

It's playoff time!

Keeping an eye on the Dodgers-Rockies game to see where the Braves are heading to start the postseason (the Dodgers are leading by two in the fifth right now).

I thought the Braves were a year away.  I had questions about how soon the young talent would contribute.  Thought the starting rotation had the potential to be good, but had some reservations.  And I didn't trust the bullpen one bit.

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

Feel free to join in and sing-a-long with me...

Looks like the braves are checking out the places for good breakfast in the LA area ....

Well, the Cubs lost today's tie-breaker game against the Brewers.  We are in the wildcard game now.   I'm a little disappointed but after some of the really bad Cubs teams I've followed over the years, I'm always happy with a postseason appearance.

I don't follow the rest of the MLB like I do the Cubs but I think the Brewers are definitely legit (although I really don't like them)

Growing up in the south, though, I'm happy to see the Braves make it as well.  Their future looks really bright.

• Like 3

I haven't been following them recently but I believe the Canada's only team is in "rebuild" mode so they will not be going anywhere buy maybe fishing this October :15_yum:

Good luck to everyone else who has a horse in this race :) 

• Like 1

Well, the Cubs are out of it.  I can't help but think what will happen in the offseason to Ian Happ, Kyle Schwarber, and especially Addison Russell. 

Happ and Schwarber have always been in trade rumors.  I feel Schwarber would probably be much better off with an American League team as a DH and occasional platoon position player.  I haven't given up on Happ, though.  If he could cut down on his strikeouts, he could be really good.

The spousal abuse allegations and subsequent MLB suspension of Addison Russell leads me to believe that he has played his last game as a Cub, and I hope that is the case.  As far as I am concerned, he will not be missed.

Late season pickups Cole Hammels and Jesse Chavez apparently want to come back next year with the Cubs and I hope that works out.

I also hope the Cubs go all in on trying to sign either Manny Machado or Bryce Harper in the offseason. 

Back to the present day, I guess I'm definitely wanting the Braves to win the World Series now (I've learned here, and on QSMB, not to say that you are "rooting for" or "pulling for" a team as it has a whole different meaning in Australia)

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Back to the present day, I guess I'm definitely wanting the Braves to win the World Series now (I've learned here, and on QSMB, not to say that you are "rooting for" or "pulling for" a team as it has a whole different meaning in Australia)

:D You can root or pull for a team if ya want Johnny... i'm not sure how it will help them but guys who root for their teams are generally respected more than girls who root for their team..... but if ya pull for ya team ya just a wanker :D  I was going to go for the Braves now the Cubs are out but I have been the kiss of death for the past couple of months and whoever I have cheered for has lost so maybe I just need to walk away and not give me support to any of them.

• Haha 1