Hit and Run

Boo

1 hour ago, Whispers said:

Joey bats now on the braves, i picked him up in my fantasy league for my bench. Worth a shot if he has anything left

Bautista could be called up from Gwinnett any day now.  Some reports have him joining the Braves during the road-trip that starts today.

13 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Ice hockey was getting my time.

I just realized this morning that the Toronto Maple Leafs played a do or die game 6 against Boston last night and actually won. I didn't even watch it :2_grimacing: They will be playing in a winner take all Game 7 tomorrow I think, in Boston. My daughter texted me and told me I can't start watching them now because if I do, I'll jinx them - LOL. I wouldn't be putting any money on them in any case. Surprised they made it this far after being down 3 games to 1 in a best of 7 series :54_hushed:

21 hours ago, reciprocity said:

I just realized this morning that the Toronto Maple Leafs played a do or die game 6 against Boston last night and actually won. I didn't even watch it :2_grimacing: They will be playing in a winner take all Game 7 tomorrow I think, in Boston. My daughter texted me and told me I can't start watching them now because if I do, I'll jinx them - LOL. I wouldn't be putting any money on them in any case. Surprised they made it this far after being down 3 games to 1 in a best of 7 series :54_hushed:

I was following online at work in Aus... your daughter is so right... you can't watch, not now, you'll jinx them.... You just leaf watching them to everyone else.

Edited by notsmokinjo

7 minutes ago, Whispers said:

so do the Braves need to piss off (get rid off) some of the dead weight outta their bull pen??? Maybe let the younguns at the end of the line have at it and see where it goes... i don't even follow them and its been painful to watch.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

so do the Braves need to piss off (get rid off) some of the dead weight outta their bull pen??? Maybe let the younguns at the end of the line have at it and see where it goes... i don't even follow them and its been painful to watch.

Acuna is a big prospect for braves, braves fans should be excited to watch this kid play... Now we get to see if hes ready, both leagues im in Acuna was not available he was already on a roster . Big hype on him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

It's a waiting game right now.  How much patience will be needed or offered is the big question.

The Braves have some good arms in the pen.  If you look at the opponent's batting average and other statistics, the bullpen looks decent.  It all gets back to the walks.  Too many freebies being offered up in late innings, particularly in the leadoff spot.  Even the much maligned Sam Freeman seems poised for a solid season if he gets his control back.  That's a big "if".

Potential is a funny thing.  Everybody knows where it is, but few can make a clear roadmap on how to get there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So this is slightly off track but anyone else here ever caught a game, and if you did, did you ever accidentally on purpose let one through to clock the blue?

I pitched and played the corners (mostly third, but spent some time at first).  Never played catcher.  I wasn't masochistic enough.

11 hours ago, Whispers said:

Acuna is a big prospect for braves, braves fans should be excited to watch this kid play... Now we get to see if hes ready, both leagues im in Acuna was not available he was already on a roster . Big hype on him

Acuna went 1-5 in his debut.  Showed his speed going from first to third following his lone hit of the evening.  And as Mean Gene Okerlund reminded us: "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."  Nevertheless, that first at bat for Acuna was an exciting out.  He almost pulled off a Jason Heyward debut...

• Like 2

Played 1 season of baseball to help out a friend where I was either catching or outfield. But still play softball. Softball I was always outfield left or right depending on the pitcher or catcher, at a pinch I was a change up pitcher. Now I seem to be playing everywhere, still catching, still rolling my arm but tend to field first or 2nd. I fricking hate suicide cornered, 3rd. 

Wanted to know cos I know I'm catching again next season and i've not done it before but I have a blue or 2 I'm not happy with ATM.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the Braves team but I love their Fans!!!

Tomahawk-Chop is the bomb!!

f1d7a.jpg

In today's "Politically Correct" world where everyone is walking on egg shells for fear of offending an entire race of people, they are showing us how you can still have some good natured fun!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reciprocity said:

f1d7a.jpg

In today's "Politically Correct" world where everyone is walking on egg shells for fear of offending an entire race of people, they are showing us how you can still have some good natured fun!!

I agree, the world is too sensitive. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, Whispers said:

Hes having a game today the 20 year old....

We saw the speed last night and we didn't have to wait long to see the big bat.  Acuna blasted that shot in the second inning.

It's looking like the Acuna / Albies duo is going to be fun to watch.

On 4/26/2018 at 3:06 PM, reciprocity said:

f1d7a.jpg

Ted Turner did cave on Chief Noc-A-Homa back in the day.  And in the next 25 games, the Braves went 3-22.  There was serious talk of the curse of the Chief.

And with the Chief gone that left Lil' Brave with nowhere to go.  He was collateral damage in the whole sordid affair.

Gone but not forgotten...

Edited by Boo

I didn't realize they had a whole Tee Pee & everything there at one time! Wow! When did they take that down? I'm guessing a while ago now?

I remember a few years ago, Toronto Blue Jays were playing the Cleveland Indians in a first round series and a bunch of poke-nose, bone-heads in Toronto mounted a media campaign and appealed to MLB to have Cleveland wear different uniforms when they played in Toronto because their Indians logo was too offensive to Native Canadians! What? Really? It's a friggin logo. Who the "F" cares? Pretty sure Native Canadians didn't give a rat's behind :)

I was never so embarrassed to be a Canadian as then. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boo said:

We saw the speed last night and we didn't have to wait long to see the big bat.  Acuna blasted that shot in the second inning.

It's looking like the Acuna / Albies duo is going to be fun to watch.

Ted Turner did cave on Chief Noc-A-Homa back in the day.  And in the next 25 games, the Braves went 3-22.  There was serious talk of the curse of the Chief.

And with the Chief gone that left Lil' Brave with nowhere to go.  He was collateral damage in the whole sordid affair.

Gone but not forgotten...

image.png.165a3149e15bee4041b922364c4312e1.png

I shouldve drafted him in my fantasy league. Im gonna try and get hi via trade

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I didn't realize they had a whole Tee Pee & everything there at one time! Wow! When did they take that down? I'm guessing a while ago now? 

1982.  Some call Ted Turner "The Lost Tycoon."  There's a big difference between someone being lost and nobody bothering to look for the guy when he finally goes away.

11 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I remember a few years ago, Toronto Blue Jays were playing the Cleveland Indians in a first round series and a bunch of poke-nose, bone-heads in Toronto mounted a media campaign and appealed to MLB to have Cleveland wear different uniforms when they played in Toronto because their Indians logo was too offensive to Native Canadians! What? Really? It's a friggin logo. Who the "F" cares? Pretty sure Native Canadians didn't give a rat's behind :)

Local news crews went around talking to the elders from the Cherokee and Creek tribes about the forced retirement of Chief-Noc-A-Homa.  They couldn't find one who seemed to give a tinker's damn about it.  One Cherokee man said: "We have much larger issues facing our people.  Go Braves!"

Wish we had more people like that guy in the world.

• Like 2

Jose Quintana pitched real well for the Cubs today (7 inning, 2 hit shutout).  He's pitched some horrible games but sometimes looks like an ace.  

The Cubs traded four minor league prospects to the White Sox for Quintana last year.  One of those prospects is Eloy Jimenez who is about as highly regarded as Ronald Acuna of the Braves.  

I really think Jimenez is going to be a superstar in the majors in a few years and that the Cubs are going to deeply regret making this deal.  

Hopefully Quintana will continue pitching like he did today but I never liked that trade.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Jose Quintana pitched real well for the Cubs today (7 inning, 2 hit shutout).  He's pitched some horrible games but sometimes looks like an ace.  

Quintana today and Darvish had his best outing of the season yesterday.  If Jon Lester returns to anything similar to how he pitched in 2016 and Kyle Hendricks stays solid...The Cubs rotation could exceed expectations.

And if I'm gonna talk about the Cubs, I have to get in a Harry Caray clip.  I enjoyed listening to him call a ballgame, but I loved his random rants.

• Like 2

I'm violating my own rule here.  I tend to air on the side of patience when some young phenom breaks into the show.  Screw that!  Ronald Acuna Jr. is a going to be a first ballot hall of famer!  I know he only has four games in, but I'm enjoying riding the wave of snap decisions and instant gratification.

Mike Foltynewicz found some control and pitched with command tonight.  That was good to see.

Ozzie Albies continues to impress.  

And Braves fans are feeling good about things right now.  Well, except for that one guy at Talking Chop who is always bitching about Johan Camargo being underutilized.

• Like 2